Note to New Members ×

Taper

nekdut

I know that more taper allows the tail to release out of a carve more easily. I've always wondered, why do even the most carvey of skis have massive taper, yet almost all of our alpine boards have little to no taper at all? The reason I started wondering about this, is an interesting ski I found online recently. Check it out: www.clawskis.com

Pat,

So someone actually has a pair! Please let me know how they ride. I am quite interested in getting a pair of very carvey skis and these may fit the bill well.

Jack mentioned those weird skinny carvers that were at SES. Does anyone have any more information on those or contact info of the manufacturer?

Thanks!

Neil,

The Claws intial claim was for edge hold and stabilty on East coast hard pack or ice. You may be better served in your area on something other if you are looking for a set that is lively and not too heavy. I spoke to Doug Dryer at SES and he was saying one of the hottest skis for this season was the Atomic Metron which may be hard to find at this point as many dealers were selling out of them.

Pat,

Yeah the Metron B5 is my first choice at the moment, but no one has them in stock anywhere! I tried the M:10s earlier this season and loved them. They carved so easily and were very responsive. I may just have to wait until more 06 Atomics are available.

Originally posted by NateW

I'd love to see the math behind the assertion that "more taper allows the tail to release out of a carve more easily." It makes no sense to me.

I've forgotten most of the math I learned in college (most of it was theoretical - proofs, not calculations) so I can't help you there.

I have however noticed that those boards I've ridden that I found tricky to release from a carve at times were all untapered. They all happen to be Doneks too - FC 163, 171; CMC 186, 210. My Axis 172 (4 mm taper) does not share this feeling, neither does my Madd 170 (0 mm), Coiler AM 182 (3 mm?) or Coiler PR 188 (4 mm).

Is it the extreme torsional rigidity of the Donek FC/CMC or the lack of taper? I'm not sure.

was tricky to get used to at first, but after a few runs I found it kinda fun to play with. This is the 2002 model that actually has a wider tail than nose. Alot of people bought and sold these, but I've really had a blast on mine so far. I can't wait until next season to hit some good groom and see what it does in better conditions than what we have right now ( I got it a couple of weeks ago) You definitely have to be very deliberate about going from edge to edge to get this board to perform, almost "hopping" or "jumping" but with it being fairly soft, it's not difficult to push around and actually adds to the fun of aggressive carving. Wasn't there a thread recently about boards with wider tails than noses?

Paul

Those claw skis sound great, but as I discovered this season, when you start to ski after riding an alpine board, you need waist width to prevent boot out. I just bought some M9s, haven't tried them yet. The Salomon scramblers also have a wider waist.

BobD