Note to New Members ×

Post Shoulder Surgery 1st Day???

barryj

Of course the answer is Don't Go! ....especially if I ask the Doc!   But you guys that have had rotator cuff surgery how long did you hold out before you got back on the hill?

4 months post surgery will be next week, Feb. 24th.....so to salvage something of this season I'm thinking  I could survive getting out on some Green family runs this March.

Yes,  I know it's a risk.....but it seems more manageable and less risky than negotiating the skating rink  my driveway's been every day the last 2 months!                               With my wife's blessing I'd  go mid week and stay on lower Mtn. on Green runs........Scouts honor!  

Heeding Doctor's advice is for mere mortals.  I've always followed the requisite waiting periods and had no trouble.  Conversely I've know people including those with shoulder surgery that didn't think they were mere mortals--turned out they were and paid the price.

Use your discretion.  Hope for the best for you.  Always tough having to hang tight.

You want what we can't give... have you been fanatical about your PT?  Can you do everything that you used to before injury?  

Can you glide down the hill? Most likely without issue... Can you sustain a direct fall on the affected area? Only you and your doctor might hazard that guess.

Going against doctor recommendations is a bad move IMO, and very much against your best interests.

I have had several shoulder surgeries. My first was a non-union clavicle mishap where the doctor had to bolt all of my various clavicle pieces into one with a titanium rod, and was snowboarding shortly thereafter because the surgeon said it was ok (6 weeks IIRC). The second was a disintegrated labrum and other damaged shoulder bits from having popped my shoulder out of socket 11 times or so in the course of a few seasons. If I had taken a spill (or been hit by some straghtlining crowbar) I might have undone everything the surgeon did, and potentially made things even worse. The first time I rode after doing all of my PT etc ... I was terrified and it took me awhile to trust the new shoulder. Now that I have had that shoulder for many years, I have full confidence it it and know that it has healed fully (it's probably stronger than my other, unmolested shoulder). 

When I got my shoulder rebuilt it was at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, they specialize in Sports Medicine stuff and deal with lots and lots of top athletes. My doctor was truly excellent, and wanted to know all about alpine snowboarding. I showed him a few photos of myself fully laid out in a few turns and he immediately decided to go with a more invasive traditional surgery (where they cut you right open) instead of going the less-invasive labroscopic route (just a few tiny incisions). He did this because after seeing the pictures of alpine snowboarding he realized that the opportunnity for shoulder trauma is high, and wanted to make my shoulder as strong as possible. Recovery time was like 6months before I was out of the sling 100% and snowboarding was off the table for like 9 months or something. Took me well over a year to recover full ROM (still don't quite have it but I have most of it). Had PT 2 - 3x a week.

You'll be taking a huge risk if you put your shoulder to task prematurely, and might end up having to start over again, and spend even more time off snow as a result. Let it heal fully and correctly so that it can take all the abuse you want to throw at it.

• Like 1

I tore my tendon between my pec and humerus diving into a carve on my toe side (that was a *pop* I could have lived without)...didn't wait the prescribed time and added months to my healing on a minor wipeout.  I waited 6 months before trying much of anything that put more than a minor strain on the arm.  Since it will never heal and they won't fix a partial tear, I've learned to carve with my back (right) arm tucked in until I've engaged the carve on my toes and always wear a neoprene shoulder support.  My first ride this year was without the brace...put it back on immediately...I still don't trust the shoulder...especially because of the re-injury.

I was a mere mortal...

Gary

51 minutes ago, garybergmann said:

wear a neoprene shoulder support.

Gary......what's that shoulder support look like?

Yes, done all the PT and that has gone well...but at just 4 months postop now, have just started strength exercises since Jan. 24/ at 12 weeks .  I have full range/mobility.....still weak in one direction but gaining.

If I do go out for a couple of days/runs next month I don't plan on breaking 90 degrees....just some slide and glide on the bunny hill  for the grin factor!  

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Gary......what's that shoulder support look like?

McDavid Shoulder Wrap: https://www.unitedsportsbrands.ca/collections/braces/products/mcdavid-shoulder-wrap

image.png.390f9b2907d72a30c817a55e37062fb6.png

For me it holds the shoulder together.  I wear the strap lower than the stock picture shows to simulate the support/resistance I'd normally get from the tendon.  Keeps it warm too.

Gary

There are many types of shoulder repair surgery.....   you could have tendon to bone repair or tendon to tendon repair etc.   the typical repair could be healed in 4 to 6 weeks but your body creates scar tissue in response and that tightens everything up.  That’s what therapy is for ,,,,

If you overstretch your tendons when they are not ready,, you could be fine or you could be torn up again.   when I’m carving, it def stretches my whole body to extremes that would be an issue for a compromised joint....

be smart

good luck

cavah