Note to New Members ×

how many of you here can ride like this

Guest mrdogboy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ARCrider

I think it was ECES'02, either then or at the Killington Carve Fest of the same year. I met Vin Quinneville. Rode with him and watched him perform linked, fluid, graceful laid out turns. He was so laid out that after every run he would have to empty his collar of snow.

What ever happened to Vinny? I haven't seen him in over 2 season ago. He is truly the best soft-boot rider I have ever met!

Guest Ken D

Manages Out Of Bounds Snowboards (killington) and continues to ride Killington with the same stoke as the first day I rode with him. Don't ride there that much anymore BUT saw him recently and he STILL has the true spirit needed to have "fun" in the sport.

He is an F-16 on softies, name it... he does it.

Doesn't compete or dare people.

Has nothing to prove.

Much like Fin... good vibe/person/attitude.

Ken D

I thought Bordy had some excellent in depth info. I like the EC style, I also really enjoyed watching the "Norm" last year. That picture of him at Buttermilk SES05 Monday that 9th shot is just awsome. All you guys are smokin and all have different styles. I still think your style is going to somewhat reflect the type of equipment/terrain/conditions that you ride in. I want to learn all disciplines and meld them into my own style. Sounds like religion where there is a growth of fundamentalists emerging. My style sucks so I can't really comment in a negative manner (like an arm chair athlete). Bottom line- Carvers rip!

I went riding today at Wachusett.

Sunny day- hero snow.

Somehow something clicked and I was able to ride faster than I expected.

So I took a few warm up runs- , met a good rider on old gear named Herb (Cateks, Oxygen 168, Burton reactors)- who threw down some good speedy technically clean turns, and then I decided to go a little faster after he left- really gunning it.

I had fun setting off the lift- and then in a few narrower sections where I wanted to check my speed....I tossed in some EC laid back cutback heelsides, and a few lay down front sides.

In a given day I might get a compliment or

two...but this day was a little different- because I mixed the two types of styles.

This was strange as a few kids came up to my and shook my hand- and I keep running into people in the base lodge. "We saw you out there"...etc.... etc... (Mind you...I'm wearing black pants and a totally common type of blue jacket- these people made it a point to identify me....and for a good portion of the day I poached a closed trail and was no where to be seen...but they still remembered 2 hours later.)

All I can think of what did it- was that I tossed in a few EC turns to mix it up. (Which I almost never do)

Several kids said they wanted to pick up an alpine board, asked where they could get a set up.

(Maybe it's because I used my Snowboard Park Pass to "ARC the Park" *influenced by Alpin punk article- so the kids saw me in their terrain)

Going fast and ripping- looks sick- but throwing some surf style slash layback EC style in is what makes the average USA snowboarding huckster riding "zero zero" take notice.

Mixing style and speed (A few fast turns technically correct, and a few slower EC style turns) is what got this type of response.

The EC turn is just freecarving stylisticaly. It is not used in a race course- and I doubt it would help anyones racing skills. An EC turn really isn't racing....unless perhaps you have to make some weird gate that requires scrubbing speed to make an uphill gate or something wacko.

So if you want to do some EC turns....do...and do them well....but don't forget to toss some real speed in to get Alpine some 'spect. Don't rely on EC turns to make you a great rider- it is a learning crutch....but a fun one when done at the right time- like near some hot chick who doesn't know better.

My EC turns today came from watching a Billabong surfing video. I thought it was clearly apparent that some of the surfing in that video was Alpine snowboard influenced. One surfer did a total EC heelside carve...

who knows...maybe it'll help me surf better.

I'm at home tonight...tuning up the bike for Ironman in a few weeks...a little bored, greasy fingers, watching snow dump outside...and figure I need to make up some room on D-Sub's post record.

As Fin mentioned...I'm hoping this can be a civil discussion. So, don't confuse my humor with taking shots.

I've been sliding down a hill on a snowboard for some time like many others here. One thing that I do take pride in is the HISTORY of this sport. Some of it is well documented, some isn't. Heck, we really can't agree on who invented snowboarding. It's no surprise that we can't agree on who started a particular style of the sport.

I think it's moot.

I grew up on a golf course (Hazeltine National), I played golf nearly every day of my life possible until college and beer. Had a decent handicap for some time.

Everybody carries a different bag. Some carry 2 woods, some carry 5. I had a buddy who used to carry a 7 wood. I'd give him **** until Sunday. I thought it was a wasted club in his bag. However, he was proud of that 195 yard high fade. He was more proud of the trajectory of the shot more than the result. He was a "driving range pro"....a modern day Tin Cup. It looked impressive on the driving range though. However, my 5 iron was always more effective in real conditions.

One day my buddy challenged me to match. 2 clubs and a putter for 18 holes. Of course, he picked his 7 wood, PW. I chose a 7 Iron and a SW.

I won't tell you the result....but Extreme Carving is a lot like playing a round of golf with 2 clubs. Problem is....that's not golf. A round requires 14 clubs and a variety of positions/challenges. You're not going to be 195 yards from the hole on every carve down the hill.....

My buddy didn't invent the 2 club challenge. It was simply an slight change from something that has been happening for hundreds of years. How dare him take credit for something so precious and sacred?

Call it Extreme Carving, call it laid out linked turns, call it whatever you want.

I call it a wasted club in my bag, although I do carry it for those instances where no one is looking......

K

Guest Ken D
Originally posted by John Gilmour

I went riding today at Wachusett.

My EC turns today came from watching a Billabong surfing video. I thought it was clearly apparent that some of the surfing in that video was Alpine snowboard influenced. One surfer did a total EC heelside carve...

No offense John, you have to be joking.

Cutbacks, carving and bottom turns existed in surfing before Burton reached puberty. That statement is far from accurate.

ps: I love snowboarding, just correcting that statement. And the EC stuff is very cool also. ;)

Ken

I have been following this thread, and have stayed out of it. I plan to continue to do so.

But...

Tim - did you read the whole thread? Did you see the picture of Jasey Jay Anderson on page 1 of this thread?

That is all I am going to say.

Biting my tongue as you read this.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Phil; Yes I did. In the race I watched, at no time did the guys put there boards on edge like Jay does in the pic in the thread. While watching the 2002 Olympics Terry English and I came away with the same view. Put the gates further apart, both up the hill and across to force full carved turns. Has this ever been done?

I still remember this day of the 2002 Olympics. I was sitting in front of the TV with a good friend, snowboarder like me, and was so exited, that my sport made it to the big Olympia TV. I was so ashamed afterwards to be a hardbooter!!!

The Halfpipe contest really ripped, there were cool guys doing extremely high and skilled jumps, which was obvious for everybody.

But the hardbooter contest looked like some folks locked in their hard boots fighting gates, which obviously did not fit to either the material the riders were on or the sport they performed. If I watch a ski race today, I can see them carving clean turns in a beautyful way, much better than a decade ago. And if I look at their courses I have the same thoughts like Tim: Make them bigger ;)

Watch the '98 Olympics. When we raced a two run G.S. format the courses were set much differently and allowed for more of a natural snowboard turn. Now that we do a duel format the courses have changed in favor of a more down the fall line type of turn. The sport has changed (in my opnion not for the better). But track down some fotage of a word cup two run G.S. race with Jasey or Fawcett and you'll see the turns you like.

IMO, those final runs for the shoot-out over the Gold between Richardson and Schoch were pretty impressive! After that many runs, those guys had that course wired. Watching the qualifiers was also fun - course totally different (not a dual format). Also remember watching the '98 GS in Nagano - fun. Seems like they kept having issues on where the course should start though - I remember there being some confusion. Phil?

Originally posted by Ken D

No offense John, you have to be joking.

Cutbacks, carving and bottom turns existed in surfing before Burton reached puberty. That statement is far from accurate.

ps: I love snowboarding, just correcting that statement. And the EC stuff is very cool also. ;)

Ken [/b]

Ahh we all know surfing came first..don't we...??

And certainly skateboarding came after surfing....didn't it?

So are there ANY moves that are done in surfing that are skateboard influenced??

There certainly are.

So just because skateboarding came after surfing doesn't mean skateboarding can not have any influence on surfing. It has.

And in the same vein. In this particular Billabong video I see some guys angulation that looks particular to alpine snowboarding...and NOT to surfing. Not like any surfing I've seen before. Not EVERY turn in this video...but a few (3-7) that look suspiciously like someone either has Alpine snowboarded...or has watched videos which may have influenced him to try this type of turn.

The name of the video is Frame Lines....

I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it.

And the guys are riding some unusual gear in this video. Which might make it possible for them to do what they do without the tail washing out.

Just like we alpiners ride some unusual gear....to keep from washing out.

________

Diesotto

Guest Tim Tuthill

BOBD: Right on!! To all the race guys, Is this possible for Alpine boarding? I think if I was a racer that I would push to change to this type of course to show what a carving board can do. The racers bring the sport to the public more than the non racer. Just some thoughts from an old guy that got into carving at a latter stage in life. The thrill of making these turns, when you can pull em off is fantastic. You guys that are younger and are racing have so much to get out of this wonderfull sport! It looks like you could put it in the spotlight better than the non racer??