Note to New Members ×

Poor heelside turns for me this year

AJCdice

I have been out a few times on the ice we have had here on the east coast and I feel like I have forgotten something or set up my stance wrong.  I don't really lay out much anymore, but I try to carve as opposed to skid as much as I can, cross-unders on easy trails etc...  My toeside turns are ok, but I find myself struggling to feel comfortable on the heelside in icy conditions--unbalanced, not getting a good grip, skidding, etc... This is happening on my Coiler T165 SL-AM 20cm waist every time I am out, less so on my Madd 170, but still there.  Both boards recently sharpened. I have the G bias set up but not to the extreme and am running regular foot 55/55 per my usual. Any armchair thoughts/tips, fundamentals short of me making embarrassing videos next time out?  Splay more, etc?

IMG_8041.JPG

Us humans are remarkably adaptable.  Focus on retraining your mind first before changing equipment.  Go back to the basics on simple runs: http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Carving-Practice-Drills.pdf 

EDIT: Also found 'the Norm, part II': https://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/PDFs/The-Norm-Part-II.pdf  That's a good looking guy at the start of that article!  😋

Edited by Corey
  • Like 2

As you change edges, LOOK over your shoulder and focus on where you want the carve to go.  Keep that back hand in the corner of your eye.  Pressure the front foot at the start of the carve, feed the board through the turn, finish about 70/30 on the back foot.  Keep your hips and shoulders aligned with your toes.

• Like 1

Thank you all--good food for thought for this weekend.  I am going to give myself 5 degrees of splay split between front 57 and back 52 and then work on the fundamentals discussed here especially facing the nose and looking where I am going like Jack said.

• Like 1

maybe still shaking off the early season cobweb...
kinda tough this season as weather not cooperating.
Well that's my excuse lol; ice/difficult condition does make things more challenges for sure.  Margin of error become less.
Video does tell tons of truth... hence i hate it.
I start writing things down every season(carving journal) and that seems to help with progress retention.

Start back at some basics.  Stand tall on a mellow slope and just roll onto the downhill edge and let it run across the hill.  Do some of those and feel the board carve on its own before rolling it over and flexing or apply some pressure. Exaggerate some big simple movements and see what you can get the board to do without complicating things.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AJCdice said:

and I feel like I have forgotten something or set up my stance wrong...

My toeside turns are ok, but I find myself struggling to feel comfortable on the heelside in icy conditions--unbalanced, not getting a good grip, skidding, etc...

Did you have this problem last season, or is this (as stated), a new development?

Did you change/alter your interface, or have you been trying to incorporate 'new' movements, concepts, etc.,  'as seen on TV' ?

New helmet, new goggles?

That you're getting asymmetric grip suggests asymmetric weight distribution.

Heelsides can be more skiddy than toesides simply due to the tendency to bias more weight to the front foot heel on a heelside, and more weight to the rear 'toes' on a toeside.

This can be further affected by translation of rotational movement as a rider looks over the heelside shoulder just prior to toeside edge release.

Either way, the board is granting what you ask of it.

Make sure you're asking for what you want, not what you think it wants to hear.

Thanks Erik, nothing new in gear--only chance for variance is swapping the F2's from one board to another and adjusting angles slightly between the skinnier Madd and slightly wider Coiler.  I also have been out riding with young family and not concentrating on myself. Hopefully I can have a narcissistic session with myself soon and start over.  This weekend's weather looks like a disaster coming though.