Note to New Members ×

Flow NX2-CX

dhamann

lot's of folks here like the NX2 so thought i'd give em a wirl. after my first run i almost took them off and threw them in the dumpster. i couldn't figure out the forward lean which completely ruined my first run. cursed the whole way down. i counted to ten and took a few breath's. found the forward lean adjustment and was better. wish i could get more out of the rear highback for forward lean, but oh well. the little spin mechanism doesn't lock in place so i have to keep making sure it's maxed out periodically throughout the day.

since i prefer to max out ratchets, i treat the straps like regular bindings cause the flip down highback exit/entry does not work for me. place boot in binding, lightly snug ratchets, then flip the highback up, then crank down on ratchets. it does take longer to get in/out of, but the binding performs great and i'd have to say it is a little more comfortable that a regular strap binding. it's worth the hassle to me (for now). the other bindings i have and would compare them to as far as response and stiffness is the now odrive, but straps are a little more comfortable on the flow. however, also a little more hassle on entry/exit. mostly exit. i loosen ratchets only to remove boot, and they do get stuck a little sometimes.

only have a few days on these and i might just get sick of the hassle of the whole system that makes up this binding. they're worth a try and wouldn't hesitate on recommending them to someone who is looking for a very good softboot carving binding. maybe a starter softboot carver, given the price point. they seem to always be on sale. very responsive and built for aggressive freeride and carving though.

Dave, you gotta blue loctite the forward lean screw. 

Ive used flows for years now & Ive never been able to use them as advertised.  I step in, click the back & then ratchet the top straps down a little.  To get out, I loosen the top ratchets a couple of clicks & then unclick the back.   Once you get used to it, its faster than regular bindings, but like I said, Ive never been able to just set the top straps & just unclick the backs....😉     for me though, the Flows just hold my foot better than regular 2 strap bindings.  

• 1 month later...

I am using modified NX2 binding for soft boot carving and have achieved a setup where my binding does not hit the snow before my boot on both heel and toe side. 

Flow bindings have lots of unnecessary features for carving, but the chassis/highback combo CAN save you some board width if you set them up correctly. 

I actually fit burton straps and ratchets  to mine 

Edited by Kijima

Spark burner top straps fit directly to flow NX2 chassis and maintain the fancy locking washer. 

Burton top straps require a hole to be drilled in the strap and you lose the fancy locking washer. 

All toe straps require a hole to be drilled in the strap. 

Removal of plastic highback saves total length.

Reversal of highback lever prevents ejections if you slide out on a heel side carve.

DSC04481.JPG

DSC04478.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bit of a zombie, but I bought Flow NX2s a few years ago and being honest, the only two things I like about them are the stiffness and lack of overhang (which is key).

The straps are a complete nightmare for me. I came from an older pair of Burton Cartels and the strap can be positioned high on the ankle and it’s super comfortable to crank down. The problem is that the binding has a lot of heel and toe overhang.

On these Flows the double strap is closer to the middle of the foot, not as high, and doesn’t have near the locked-in feeling although it works OK. Since it is a one-piece when you start to crank them down on each end, it really compresses on the middle of the foot and that’s where most of the pressure happens. 

The goddamn buckles themselves are a nightmare—the strap is annoyingly hard to feed into the buckle and then when it comes through it’s supposed to feed into a slot in the leather strap, except that half the time the toe straps don’t slide in properly and you have to back off and manually squeeze it into the slot. 

To make matters worse, I’ve never had a more difficult Undo mechanism when the bindings are cranked down! I need to really yank on it to get it coming out.

Basically I guess I want the Flow binding with different straps. Unfortunately it’s not the easiest to just find or try out other straps.