Note to New Members ×

Ankle Hinge

lonbordin

7 hours ago, lonbordin said:

@Corey Maybe I didn't make it clear. The X-ray is not me, that image is for illustrative purposes of what I think is correct.  

The blue dot is where my ankle joint is in my UPZs.

Yeah, I know that's not you. A quick trip to Walmart reveals the variety of the human body, but I never would have imagined THAT much difference in bone structure from person to person.

With a foot installed, does the tongue sit quite far forward of where it does when just closing the boot without a foot in it? I can't imagine having enough room for tendons and flesh if the center of rotation of the talus and the tibia is that far forward and up.

Seems more likely that you have a measurement error. 

Did you use a bandsaw to figure it out? 😉

9 hours ago, Corey said:

Yeah, I know that's not you. A quick trip to Walmart reveals the variety of the human body, but I never would have imagined THAT much difference in bone structure from person to person.

With a foot installed, does the tongue sit quite far forward of where it does when just closing the boot without a foot in it? I can't imagine having enough room for tendons and flesh if the center of rotation of the talus and the tibia is that far forward and up.

Seems more likely that you have a measurement error. 

Did you use a bandsaw to figure it out? 😉

I appreciate the role of a skeptic @Corey!

Enough room? 
The tongue of the UPZs is curved and offers room.

Exhibit A: 
tWj1T3p.jpg?maxwidth=1920&shape=thumb&fi

The players (shell w/o cuff, liner, footbed, and bootboard):

M5YDwFv.jpg?maxwidth=1920&shape=thumb&fi

So I put the boot board (standing in for the bottom of my liner) and the footbed into the shell.  Then I placed my foot into the shell and felt the ankle joint by way of my fingertip (noting it's location) to place the blue dot.  In the picture of "the measurement" below the tip of my finger is on my ankle pivot.

"The measurement":

rZKfzOK.jpg?maxwidth=1920&shape=thumb&fi

No bandsaw required.

Edited by lonbordin
I guess I should've taken a picture of my finger to prove it's not ridiculously long. :-D

21 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Don't equate the bony prominence of your ankle with the centre of rotation. The video and Corey's circled x-ray image show the COR to be significantly lower. 

The location of my fingertip is just below my inner protuberance of my medial malleolus which is certainly proximate to the talus joints center of rotation.  The subtalar joint is not really in play here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

You're the guy on the spot, who knows exactly what he's feeling and touching. I'm just guessing from the photos and heckling from the sidelines. Hope you solve your pain problem.

No worries.  I'm appreciative of the skeptic.... I probably should've been more technical and detailed from the start.  If only I had access to an x-ray machine but this is America where they charge you just for looking at one.... 😉

1 hour ago, lonbordin said:

If only I had access to an x-ray machine but this is America where they charge you just for looking at one....

I've a portable, and you can look at it for free. 

Might even have some film, but I'm sure the chemicals are long expired.

As mentioned previously, I've moved rivets to, (or closer to) the node of the medial malle0lus, and the boots work 'better' that way.

'Better' being somewhat subjective in terms of goals/outcome, and predicated on the notion that the boot/shell  is a means of supporting the efforts of the lower extremities, rather than a hammer wielded by same.

Edited by Beckmann AG