Note to New Members ×

OT - 2 cars hit each other head on

C5 Golfer

Here is the problem to think about. Two identical cars traveling at each other at lets say 50 mph collide perfectly down the centerline head on. The damage to each car would theoretically be the same Right? But what if the same car hit an immovable solid brick wall at the same speed? Would the damage to the car be equal to the damage in the head on? Hummmm :confused:

( You can tell I am bored and since there is no snow I felt the need for a post):D

If you're talking two identical cars, then the dammage would theoretically be just as extensive to each. Otherwise it depends on the construction of each vehicle (crumple zones, ladder frame vs. unibody, etc) But hitting a brick wall or concrete bridge abuttment would be worse because they don't have crumple zones!

oh yeah, I read that wrong, silly me. The car hitting the wall would have to be travelling 100mph to equal the dammage of a head on collision of 2 cars going 50mph. Although the 2-car accident would be not quite as bad due to crumple zones.

Hi Jack, sorry for that, but you're as wrong as one can be.

Car No1 will be decellerated from 50 to 0. Car No 2 will be decellerated from 50 to 0. You could put a wall between them and get the same result... or a sheet of paper.

This is not at all true for two different cars!

Car vs. Car, 50mph: the destruction of the two cars will absorb some of the energy of the impact, cushioning each other and the occupants by some ammount.

Edit: this would be equivalent to parking car A without the e-brake, and driving car B into the front of car A at 100mph.

I'd rather do that than drive into the wall at 100mph.

Sorry,

what does BSME stand for?

Pretty sure this would be equivalent to parking car A with its rear bumper against a wall, and driving car B into the front of car A at 100mph.... no?

hmmm... You were talking about a wall with zero energy absorbtion. I'd rather say it's like one car with the speed of 100mph hitting another (identical) car without speed and WITHOUT a wall behind. Remember: Sum of the speeds of both cars is 100. You have total absorbtion energy of both (2 times car #1). So in sum 2 times the absorbtion energy of car 1 and in sum two times the speed of car 1... will end up with the impact of car 1 hitting a wall without any energy absorbtion with 50mph. Sure ;)

BSME = Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. I've got one too! ;)

Providing the cars are identical, either situation would be the same. That's why all the crash tests you see are of a car running into an immoveable object.

A 50 mph crash isn't going to be pretty! Most of the crash tests you see where the cars fold up like accordians are at 35-40 mph.

Originally posted by skywalker

Hi Jack, sorry for that, but you're as wrong as one can be.

Car No1 will be decellerated from 50 to 0. Car No 2 will be decellerated from 50 to 0. You could put a wall between them and get the same result... or a sheet of paper.

This is not at all true for two different cars!

Skywalker -- you go to the head of the class. Good Job!

Jack - well better luck next time.

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

Skywalker -- you go to the head of the class. Good Job!

Jack - well better luck next time.

Jetta vs. Jetta both at 50mph head on does <b>NOT</b> equal Jetta at 100mph vs. huge stationary block of concrete. The latter would cause more dammage to the car. This was what I was originally trying to say.

Jetta vs. Jetta both at 50mph <b>DOES</b> equal Jetta at 100mph vs. freestanding Jetta at 0mph, like Skywalker said. Again, this is what I was originally saying - "the 2-car accident would be not quite as bad due to crumple zones."

This is why they build crumple zones into cars.

Back to <b>the original question</b>: "But what if the same car hit an immovable solid brick wall at the same speed?" This scenario (car at 50mph vs wall) involves half the momentum of two cars at 50mph.

HOWEVER, because the wall is infinitely more massive than the car and does not appreciably crumple upon impact, the dammage to the car will be more than half as bad.

I'll take my seat at the head of the class now. ;)

Now, when you add centrifugal force to the equation...

:D