Note to New Members ×

Rad Air Tanker 192cm (x 3, early 2000's)

SunSurfer

https://www.completeoutdoors.co.nz/search/?search=rad+air

(Cleared with J Michaud)

Came across three 192cm Rad Air Tankers, dating from the early 2000s, described to be in near new/shop soiled/demo'ed condition, for sale from a reputable NZ shop. They will freight to Australia and to some international destinations (not specified on the website). They apparently recently sourced a load of NOS stock (skis, boards etc) from Europe.

I enquired about possibly buying just a Tanker board and was offered NZ$400 (US$270 approx. at current exchange rates) as a price by the shop. In the end decided against it as I don't see enough powder, and have a different purchase in mind in the near future.

Figured there are people here who even at that distance might pull the trigger for a cambered Tanker in good condition. There are also a couple of Rad Air WorldWide boards in the linked search result at the time of posting.

Enquiries should be direct to the shop. I'm just letting people know this stuff is available.

Edited by SunSurfer
Typo and price conversion

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might have better luck buying/contacting them through trademe (nz auction website) if you are over seas.

i have seen these boards for sale for about 2 years now but ended up getting a new doughboy for a similar price

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/ski-board/snowboards/over-170cm/listing-2874865569.htm?rsqid=f62a17e6a7754a578c5c4fe52b913888-002

I know everyone seems to love these boards. I tried one. Most expensive board I had purchased at the time. Approximate same vintage as this. 

It lasted three hours. I hit a piece or smooth wood and lost four inches of edge. The core did not extend to the edge. 

They wouldn't warranty it. So before you go doing backflips to try to get some NOS out of New Zealand you have been warned. It rode great for three hours. I went back up and hiked out to the only possible place it could have happened to see exactly what I hit....a smooth rounded branch with no branches. Four inches of edge separation. I have hit 100 things harder than this with my Cobra Never Summer or Burton Frontiers with barely any visible damage. You have been warned. 

4 hours ago, carvedog said:

It lasted three hours. I hit a piece or smooth wood and lost four inches of edge. The core did not extend to the edge. 

The core almost never extends to the edge... 

OES_structure_en_large.jpg

Still unacceptable to have major failure from hitting a piece of wood... Probably a different construction problem, poor adhesion or something. But then, it could have been pure bad luck - speed plus awkward angle - bam!