Note to New Members ×

Carving progression and critique my riding

slapos

Learn to ride square to the fall line. Once you learn that who cares what you do, Cowboy hand, rail grab, soul arch, whatever the move that makes your style you.  Forget all the bullshit. Square to the fall line is the key!!!!!

Learn to know grooming on your mountain. The trails groomed on swing vs graveyard, etc   Carving is condition conducive meaning that if the conditions suck most likely your carving is gonna suck and your day is gonna suck until you learn to ride the perfect groomed perfectly. Once you master that then not so favorable conditions add to the fun, the challenge. Time on the hill is key as well. Gym time, being strong and in shape helps w everything regardless of age. I think there is way to much focused on boards and all the bullshit vs being in shape.  No substitute for training off the board, it’s all part of it. Good luck, have fun and remember as Doyle always says “the best guy is the guy having the most fun”!  If you ever come to Aspen let me know,  we are here to help. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bromada said:

Learn to ride square to the fall line. Once you learn that who cares what you do, Cowboy hand, rail grab, soul arch, whatever the move that makes your style you.  Forget all the bullshit. Square to the fall line is the key!!!!!

you mean keep the shoulders level or ?

3 hours ago, Bromada said:

“the best guy is the guy having the most fun”! 

you probably cant see it but I have a ton of fun! no issues here.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, pauleleven said:

I'm a strong advocate for minus heel, it is immensely powerful and stable,

Is not the same thing as versatile/nimble.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, pauleleven said:

My next obstacle will be the steeps......

Depending on interpretation, 'minus heel' might be your obstacle to riding the steeps, rather than the incline itself.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:16 AM, slapos said:

finding your own style isnt easy. For now I enjoy mostly race style - where i ride most we usually have man made bulletproof snow. For now it seems to work best and most effective. 

Did not so much mean finding your own style, as that will take care of itself in time. Was referring to how you work within your chosen style of riding. Subtle changes to the magnitude and timing of your movements with respect to terrain and turn dynamics can lead to interesting outcomes. Further, 'race style' may work best for your prevailing conditions simply because you haven't yet found your own, better solution.

As a cautionary note on emulation: You probably realize by now that Nevin is out for the season, possibly much longer. Extreme postures can, and quite often do, lead to injury.  See also: Ted Ligety.

Edited by Beckmann AG
r
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Is not the same thing as versatile/nimble.

Depending on interpretation, 'minus heel' might be your obstacle to riding the steeps, rather than the incline itself.

On the heelsides I am a mix between pure neutral and slight minus(by ~10 degrees), anything not in the plus position.

With the steeps I just need to get used to the speed and conquer the fear, the posture has more than enough support as I feel I can push the pressure and speed much more on my boards.

• 4 weeks later...

@pokkis

RS164, medium race stiffness was chosen for me, by Marcel. 

like it a lot. super nimble and super easy to manipulate. I think it can be seen in the vid. I have FG plate bolted on top of this. 

@daveo

I already prepaid my new zylonberserkerteameditionlightingblackdeathtantaluslimitedelektron 184 asym. it just problematic to put the whole name on the top sheet