Note to New Members ×

What bindings and boots are being used in high level BX competitions today?

lonbordin

In Japan I saw Nidecker Carbon on a lot of Oxess BX boards.

I remember Henry saying that Drake Podium FF are used a lot, but I didn't see any of the BX racer using those here. That doesn't mean there aren't any, of course.

But it might be a thing to just go with what Pierre Voultier won gold at Pyeongchang on and use the Nidecker Carbons.

A lot of the softboot carving guys in Japan are on Flows.

That's pretty much all I can contribute.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:56 PM, daveo said:

A lot of the softboot carving guys in Japan are on Flows.

Those guys are weird, riding 45 30 and wrecking the back knee, lots of beginners also believe in a big stand width, big splay, and stiffest board and binding they can find, but nothing on the stiffness of the boot...... COME ON

Like, I talk to softie carvers in China about Driver X and they're like HUH????????

With BX Setup I would imagine stiff binding, stiff boots and low angles are priority rather than an Alpine setup, which is just not as powerful or ergonomic pushing out with the backfoot.

So Driver X and a carbon binding makes sense.

@pauleleven you sure about the boots thing? Haha. My Japanese mate rides a gray desperado type r wide ti 166 lol and his wife a soul 159. Another girl I know rides an F2 elim carbon 158. He weighs 75kg, F2 rider is 45kg, SG rider is a shade under 50kg.

He has driver x with powerride stiffeners inside (click the link), a g style hyper hold strap set and booster around the outside of the top of the boot. 

She has the same but Burton Supreme boot, softer powerride and softer booster. Other girl has similar boot set up. 

He uses flow bindings atop of Bomber power plates, she uses unicant. 

I guess that's how they get away with those angles.....

Btw, driver x wasn't even in the Burton store in Shibuya. 

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daveo said:

He uses flow bindings atop of Bomber power plates, she uses unicant. 

I guess that's how they get away with those angles.....

No one in China knows about the importance of canting, they just luckily have bindings (flow, union) that have built-in cants. Also, no one knows about Driver-X........ it's sad, watching people ruining their knees

5 hours ago, pauleleven said:

No one in China knows about the importance of canting, they just luckily have bindings (flow, union) that have built-in cants. Also, no one knows about Driver-X........ it's sad, watching people ruining their knees

The popularity of Chinese carving snowboard equipment depends on marketing, so that few people think deeply.

14 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Funny... All the comps I've watched I've never seen that binding on display... Not once.

7 hours ago, daveo said:

Not sure @Caswell was being entirely serious. 🙂

Hahaha This is a joke.
Catek fr2  is an innovation for softboot bindings, but it is already dead.😁

16 hours ago, pauleleven said:

Except, you are literally the only one with that binding.

Someone is selling it in the forum.

17 minutes ago, Caswell said:

Hahaha This is a joke.
Catek fr2  is an innovation for softboot bindings, but it is already dead.😁

Someone is selling it in the forum.

I literally saw like 5 guys using them in the recent snowboardcross race though... 

On 3/1/2019 at 3:29 PM, daveo said:

He has driver x with powerride stiffeners inside (click the link), a g style hyper hold strap set and booster around the outside of the top of the boot. 

Ahaha, long time ago when I still somewhat could tolerate soft boots for few hours, and snow school still insisted I used them, I used to stuff plastic tongues from Raichle hard boots between the laces and liner of the DriverX, with a power strap on top of that. Sometimes I used the front power strap around the high back too, sort of like a third strap! Also, I had changed the laces to thin Kevlar rope 💪 

On 3/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, pauleleven said:

it's sad, watching people ruining their knees

Why do you keep repeating this? Any data, video or at least pic examples? 
I don't see why one would be ruining the knees, if the stance was set properly for rider's body geometry and the technique used... 
I was always my feet and ankles that were hurting with softies, not the knees. But I do have weak ankles, so it's just anecdotal... Or should I say "ankledotal"? 

On 3/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, daveo said:

35 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Ahaha, long time ago when I still somewhat could tolerate soft boots for few hours, and snow school still insisted I used them, I used to stuff plastic tongues from Raichle hard boots between the laces and liner of the DriverX, with a power strap on top of that. Sometimes I used the front power strap around the high back too, sort of like a third strap! Also, I had changed the laces to thin Kevlar rope 💪 

No SnowboardCross racer here, but hardbooter and also softboot freecarver.

What I use :  Driver X and Catek FR2 pro.

Old Burton RAF inserts work well for tongue stiffening (Powerride-like). 2017-18-19 models don't allow those inserts to sit well on the tongue. Here's what I did (riveting them) on my old Drivers, that I will also do on my '19 ones once they soften too much.

1251255916_DSC02438COMP.jpg.610c92986867c5b0f35f95478fecf563.jpg

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Why do you keep repeating this? Any data, video or at least pic examples? 
I don't see why one would be ruining the knees, if the stance was set properly for rider's body geometry and the technique used... 

That is very very true, until you do this

Screenshot_20190304-022224__01.jpg.574199d5707a054f278309c8129821ec.jpg

Some idiots teach this, deliberately bringing in the knees, which wrecks havoc because it is not on the same plane as the ankle and knee.

The amount of information regarding setup is... Scarse and in many cases inaccurate, people are set up to fail.

Screenshot_20190127-183146.jpg

Some of those pics are horrible,  some ok... I'll just stick to first two.

The blue jacket demonstrates really bad technigue. I thougt that knees-in technique was gone with the days of PJ... We have not enough clues to conclude if the setup is wrong, for that person's body structure, even less if she's hurting or not. All I know is that I'd be teaching her something else. 

The khaki pants looks like advanced agressive rider. The shot angle is wrong, but he's possibly driving both knees into direction of the turn, and that's ok approach for forward stance heel side turn. However, if that was me in the pic, my rear ankle would be hurting, for sure. 

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

The blue jacket demonstrates really bad technigue. I thougt that knees-in technique was gone with the days of PJ... We have not enough clues to conclude if the setup is wrong, for that person's body structure, even less if she's hurting or not. All I know is that I'd be teaching her something else. 

The khaki pants looks like advanced agressive rider. The shot angle is wrong, but he's possibly driving both knees into direction of the turn, and that's ok approach for forward stance heel side turn. However, if that was me in the pic, my rear ankle would be hurting, for sure. 

Didn't see included my photos too...

I'm khaki pants, last year on softboot I definitely brought my knee in quite a bit, not great. This year going race technique and hardboot, more powerful now.

So this knee in thing, the riders are immitation older Alpine styles, but old Alpine styles had hardboot to support the knee..... In any case, most people who ride like this on softboot a have bad heelsides, because there is no support for the back cutting point.

When i rode softboots i forced the knee inwards on heelsides. It was the way i found out worked to get the hip over the board for heelsides with the low angles. Never felt any problem with the knees. More that the gear i was using was inadequate. Might not have been correct but it was before youtube etc. and worked.

Edited by Calle

Calling all cars, "Active threadjack in progress."  "Suspects are armed with information about weird softboot angles and stance widths."  "Considered EXTREMELY dangerous." 

"Continue to be on the lookout for the missing information on bindings worn by high level BX racers."

Edited by lonbordin
Get your own thread you scofflaws.
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, BlueB said:

Come to think of it, lot of Asians seem to have a knock-kneed body structure, actually. 

• 10 months later...

From what I have seen, there is a pretty big mix of bindings at BX events.

recent winners at SBX event in BC (both men’s  and women’s categories) were on K2 Formula bindings.

Burton Cartels, X-Base are still very popular too as well as a lot of older Burton C60’s.

F2 team uses the F2 branded SP Fastec bindings, and there are also a lot of various Union’s (Force, Atlas, Falcor).

As mentioned above, Palmer plates are still very prevalent and Geckos can be seen a lot too.

Edited by svr
spelling error
  • Like 1