Note to New Members ×

Can anyone tell me about base structures?

daveo

About to get my favourite board's base flattened and the structure ground back in, but I don't really know anything about base structures. I'm taking it to this particular shop since the tech who does the work there is an ex Austrian world cup gs snowboard rider and he does most of this state's race skis and snowboard. I think the machine he uses a Wintersteiger, although I don't know which model. Is there anything in particular I should be looking or asking for?

I'll just be getting the base grind done. I'll be doing my edges and wax and stuff myself, of course.

Edited by daveo

1 hour ago, Beckmann AG said:

finer structure for lower water content and sharper crystals. 

Heavy structure on cold/dry/packed can make a board grabby and harder to... 

Right. So I'm looking for a finer structure. Any particular pattern? Are patterns even a thing? 

1 hour ago, Beckmann AG said:

... 'drift'. 

Drift? Whaddoyamean drift? 

41 minutes ago, daveo said:

There's more to carving than merely railing.

A more common circumstance where you might like your board to drift a little, is on the approach to a lift line ( or similar), where momentum is falling, and a grabby base predisposes you do embarrassment, or worse.

6 hours ago, daveo said:

Right. So I'm looking for a finer structure. Any particular pattern? Are patterns even a thing? 

Structure Patterns are a thing, but be careful about choosing to have them done.

Most shops do standard diagonal structures, but some of the higher end tuners can make some pretty wild structures.

1 hour ago, svr said:

Structure Patterns are a thing, but be careful about choosing to have them done.

Most shops do standard diagonal structures, but some of the higher end tuners can make some pretty wild structures.

I see. Any recommendations? 

17 hours ago, daveo said:

About to get my favourite board's base flattened and the structure ground back in, but I don't really know anything about base structures. I'm taking it to this particular shop since the tech who does the work there is an ex Austrian world cup gs snowboard rider and he does most of this state's race skis and snowboard. I think the machine he uses a Wintersteiger, although I don't know which model. Is there anything in particular I should be looking or asking for?

I'll just be getting the base grind done. I'll be doing my edges and wax and stuff myself, of course.

If your racing the choice you make can win or lose the race . If your a recreational rider i wouldn't get to hung up on the exact structure. Flat base and sharp edges are your friend under all conditions. Having the base ground away for the sake of a cosmetics is something i would pass on if the board was a favorite that i was planing to keep for a while. Wax can go a long way to keep a board sliding fast. Ptex base really isn't very thick.

4 minutes ago, lowrider said:

If your racing the choice you make can win or lose the race . If your a recreational rider i wouldn't get to hung up on the exact structure. Flat base and sharp edges are your friend under all conditions. Having the base ground away for the sake of a cosmetics is something i would pass on if the board was a favorite that i was planing to keep for a while. Wax can go a long way to keep a board sliding fast. 

Okay cool. Thanks. 

I'm not really clued up on what to get in terms of pattern, so perhaps I'll leave it for the tech to decide. I do prefer to know myself though 🙂

So far I know I need a flat base and fine structure! 

• Like 1