Note to New Members ×

Muscle soreness

Guest dudleydudley

Guest dudleydudley

Can someone explain to me why my anterior and posterior deltoids are always sore the day after riding?

And now apparently my latismus dorsi...

Is it because I am contracting and holding these muscles somehow when I carve?

That kind of thing sometimes happens to me after a day of hard carving. I interpret it as as ign that I need to relax my upper body. I tend to tense it up when riding hard, trying to make sure my shoulders are aligned right and all that. I really need to loosen up my upper body!

I am not in the greatest shape to begin with (curse this desk job), so I know I would have been quite sore each night at the SES. Sportlegs definitely saved my trip. It didn't eliminate all soreness, but SIGNIFICANTLY reduced it. I was also able to ride later into the afternoon than I expected to while using Sportlegs.

Two thumbs up.

www.sportlegs.com

EDIT: whoops, I forgot that delts are upper-body muscles, not that sportlegs knows where to go, but I thought he was talking about his legs.

I've yet to try SportLegs, but I do use "Emergen-C w/ calcium" and it definitely delays the onset of lactic acid buildup and lets me carve longer. It's quite a bit cheaper. It comes in lots of flavors, but only one has the calcium and magnesium which is the key ingredient

Stop, please, before this reads like a Burton forum thread!!!!

You can exercise your delts and your lats by doing pushups and chinups-easy and no special gym membership required...

But I agree with the tenseness, I've never had this problem(of course, I do pushups and chinups....)

Thigh-burn....that's my problem. I find that a nice glass of wine helps that best;)

I second Jack's reccomendation of sportlegs. There was no way I could have done all six days at SES without it before, during and after each day. I was less sore at the end of the whole SES week than after shorter weekend trips without sportlegs.

I find that after a few hours on the hill, I don't ever hurt anywhere specifically, I'm just "all over" tired. It's probably my core that goes first, but I know I'm done for the day when I start to catch edges and stuff, just as a result of the delay from brain to tired limbs. I did three days end to end at Stratton in January and found that on day 3, my legs were just toasted - again no specific pain, just slow in the reflexes and not at all inclined to bend.

I know a lot of people seem to get thigh burn and stuff, is this more common? or do you guys just get tired, the kind of tired where you head off down the hill and think as you go, yep, the next stop is the bar ... a groomed green run called Margarita ...

Dudley, I'd say that you're right on with the tension thing ... lots of concentration and holding the upper body rigid would cause that sort of pain the next day.

Guest dudleydudley

I work out quite a bit and am a road cyclist, so my legs aren't so much the issue. It's not terrible soreness to the point where I can't move, but I am shocked that I am sore at all in my upper body. It's the front and back of my shoulders that are sore and my upper back.

In response to the legs issue, I found that the CW-X tights do wonders in helping fatigue and soreness. Of course it may be my cycling legs that help, too. I highly recommend them. I have the shirt as well and it seems to help, but obviously not enough.

dudley,

that also happened to me last time. i've been riding for much longer outings recently, though. did you ride your normal amount? perhaps you were angulating more and you're body just wasn't used to it. hopefully took a few warm up runs before going all out? any big falls or even a lot of little falls might do it. you shoudl be fine, just eat right, get rest, you're body will get used to it.

I rode saturday and sunday, and when I woke up on monday I was sore in all my usual places, and my lats were screaming. It makes absolutly no sense at all, unless it is a function greater angulation. At least it has happend to someone else, so I know I'm not insane. I think.

I get the same shoulder soreness and I attribute it to tensing up while carving. I also find that when carving steeps and holding your torso up with your hands or forearms, everytime you lay out, you jar your shoulder in such a way that it can be dislocated but your muscles keep it in place.

Just a theory though.

If we all have the same soreness, we should look like Charles Atlas at the end of the season.:)

I get really sore triceps, especially early in the season. I think it comes from using my hands and arms in a push-up-like way to arrest my many early-season slides and falls.

When I'm riding well my side muscles get tired and sore. Never had sore lats or deltoids.

Actually it helps the whole body not feel sore. I find that when you push it the next day...it isn't soreness that stops you.....the muscle just says....."nope...won't do that just yet, not until I'm given enough time to recover"

so you take a day or two off and at least during that time you can walk stairs without pain.

I like the stuff. I also think it helps ward off chronic shin bang.

One thing that can get your delts and lats sore is carrying 40 lbs of boots and clothing + 3 carving boards with bindings from Lot Q- and not resting when feeling fatigued while carrying it...because youa re too stoked to get first tracks.

that is what always gets me...carring demo gear adn so forth.

________

RARE DISEASES ADVICE

Guest Hopscotch

I have quite annoying quad burn if i'm carving. I have problems making full carving runs. Also my feet have even worse pain. It's not a burn but it's a stinging sensation. I've tried streching but it doesnt seem to help.