Note to New Members ×

DPS Phantom Glide

skategoat

Curious if anyone has tried this: https://www.dpsskis.com/phantom-glide

A shop in my area is going to provide the service. Basically, you apply a proprietary compound to your base and then cure (looks like under UV light) to create "a permanent, one-time application, waxless base treatment that forever eliminates the need for waxing skis and snowboards."

So what's to stop manufacturers, either board/ ski or base material, including this at time of construction. If you really want something that changes the polymer structure of the entire thickness of base material then at time of base material creation would seem the best time. Unless this would impair adhesion to the rest of the board/ski.

Thanks for pointing out the previous thread. It's interesting that DPS has already come out with a version 2 of this process. 

I talked to the local shop and they started this last year and had some great feedback from customers. I suspect it's not for racers because there is only one formulation which is going to be a compromise in some conditions. But for us rec riders, this would be a real convenience.

I find it hard to believe that this would be a marketing gimmick since DPS has a solid reputation.

I'm going to try it and report back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you’re making a sintered base behave like an extruded base.

maybe it does work? 

Maybe it does work to the extent that people who wax once a year like it? This is why extruded bases are popular other than the lower cost.