Note to New Members ×

ALC Bindings???

Shred Gruumer

50 minutes ago, rjnakata said:

Cateks are great in this respect.  I hope on-slope adjustability is part of any new system

Agreed!  But you know what sucks?  When your buddy notices their Catek 4x4 mounting screws are a bit loose at the top of the lift.  There goes 5 minutes!  

I hate changing angles on my Sidewinder TD3s with size 27 UPZ boots.  The only screws I don't loosen or remove to move bindings to a narrower board are the ones on the toe bail lug shaft.  The same buddy mentioned above gave me endless grief at the demo tent when trying a narrower board, just like I did to him at the top of the lift.  ?  

7 hours ago, Corey said:

A thought - Can we help spur future binding designs?  What are people's complaints about the TD series of bindings?  

1. Heavy
  2. Too stiff
  3. Too flexible (yes, conflicts with #2, depends on tastes)
  4. Doesn't accommodate short boots well (especially UPZ)
  5. Changing cant requires new parts
  6. Finite selection of cant rings
  7. Not indestructible (conflicts with #1)
  8. Too expensive 
  9. ??

Given this list, I still pick TD3 Sidewinders for 90% of my riding. 

We could compile similar lists for all the big brands.  

2 hours ago, Ladia said:

My biggest complaint about Bomber is adjustability for small boots. Any tiny angle adjustment and I need move one of the blocks to reach screws. I recently got F2, their canting system I don't like. I will ride probably just flat. But adjustability for the boot length with screw is much more convenient than on Bombers. I also have one Piokka binding. It is set up and that's it. Absolute nightmare to make adjustments on the slopes. In the end I am stuck with Bomber for last 25 years?

+1 for hard to adjust for small boots. I have never tried f2s myself as it took a long time for me to figure out what cant and lift worked for me and I've found it to be a bit finky, so I've been on Bombers (SW) exclusively, and otherwise like them. These do look like the base plate would help to accommodate smaller boots by adding metal back to the center and allowing the blocks to be adjusted in more while still giving access to the 4x4 bolts.