Note to New Members ×

Killer Loop alpine board?

patmoore

Two-time Olympic Downhiller Doug Lewis was going through his vast collection of gear before moving to Park City and found this never ridden board.  I think he's already committed to giving it to someone.  I'm not familiar with it.  Some folks responding to his Facebook post said the board had something to do with Nordica.

413878720.jpg

31 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I've got one of those in 159 length. It's a funny story - it came back to me after many years. I forgot how it rides... 

That doesn't sound terribly funny. Is there more to that story?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, daveo said:

That doesn't sound terribly funny. Is there more to that story?

I realised that... I was rushing out. Ok here it goes: 

I had a student many years ago, maybe 7 or so, transitioning from soft to hard. He had a lesson on my gear (that particular board) and wanted to buy it afterwards as cheap entry into the sport... 

Fast forward, he lived in some other places, probably a bit back and forth from Vancouver. We never had formal lessons again. Whenever I had a glimpse of him on the hill, there wasn't much progress... Eventually ha contacted me looking to buy replacement bindings - he broke his old ones. I said that I'd give him a pair if he took a lesson again and he agreed. 

I deided to do an experiment - the guy is lightweight, not very strong, getting older now, so I also brought the softest board I had in my collection. Wow, did it make a difference! I left that board with him to the end of the season, hoping he'd grow into the other one, but no luck. I got the Killer Loop back and he wanted to keep the noodle... 

Horses for the courses... or riders. 

4 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

I might be wrong (...then please correct me if I am so),  but if I remember well, some killer Loop boards used to have a foam core........:freak3:

Not that I know of, but not impossible either. Lots of manufacturers experimented with foam cores, like Oxygen with their Fr line and almost all Rossi race boards after the Shannon Melhuse line. 

Edited by BlueB

On 5/5/2018 at 1:03 PM, RoroSnow said:

I might be wrong (...then please correct me if I am so),  but if I remember well, some killer Loop boards used to have a foam core........:freak3:

Yup, the capped ones. 

They were a bag of suck

19 hours ago, Mellow Yellow said:

I believe those have a tendency to go BOOM....  unsure of the cores but recall stories of them imploding!

Yes, the capped ones, same as my last post, a bag of suck 

• Like 1

killer loop is a lifestyle brand, their board line AFAIR was made by mistral. I've rode slalom one in ~2001 and it was a funny lively ride for sure. mistral is a respectable (wind)surfing manufacture back then

PS and I own that 158SL now, checked it now! cap full carbon wrap construction...