Note to New Members ×

Donek Flux 168

I've had this board for two seasons, buying it in the spring of 2016.  Between my MK, Tanker, Custom 172 and Proteus I have not spent more than 5 days on it.  Yesterday, I took it to Mount Snow.  I rode other boards in hardboots in the morning and switched to the Flux in softies in the afternoon.  

The conditions were groomed, hard, packed powder in the morning.  Very firm, consistent and well set up snow.  Perfect for carving.  The afternoon brought a bit softer (but not too soft) conditions but, due to the lack of people at the mountain on that Monday, there were no push piles or crud to deal with.

This 168 Flux was a custom build.  

SCR: 8.5-10

Waist: 28cm

The bindings are Burton Cartels mounted at 36* front and 18* rear.

I had not previously been on good carving conditions with the Flux.  I always had it out in powder and crud, thinking that it would excel in this less than desirable snow.  It does handle these conditions well but, after yesterday, I will be spending a whole lot more time on my Flux.

This thing is a tank.  It is extremely damp, quiet and stable.  It carves very well and feels as though you can't loose an edge.  I regret not using the board on good snow before now.  By far, it blows away any soft boot carving board that I've been on.  When my skier friends decided to staightline a run or two and I had to chase it was stable and locked in, even with very subtle edging.  With the extra width  it is heavy hanging from your leg on the lift.  This is a small price to pay for the fun you can have on the Flux.  The tail holds on to each and every turn.  However, when you need to push it out to shave off some speed it does so without a fight.  The variable SCR is great.  I did experiment with shifting my weight forward and backward to change the turn shape.  As expected, I noticed the change, but as I settled in and just rode without thinking about technique the turn shape changes happened naturally.  Just ride and the Flux will go where you want.

I have had a great season with 31 days on the snow.  That is high for me with work and family.  I have had a ton of fun on all of the above listed boards.  But, not on any of the others did I have as much fun as I did on the Flux.  It could have been because of the blue bird sky or the 40* temps or the great grooming or the great company or it could have been that for years the Flux is the only board that has truly shocked me.  

Before yesterday I was considering putting the Flux up for sale.  Not for any negative reasons related to its performance, but for its lack of use and to make room for my first Coiler.  After yesterday, I will not be parting with it.  

The Flux could easily stand in a one board quiver that I'd be very happy with.

E8980987-B7C5-4781-AFFA-49D13AA5D694.jpeg

Edited by workshop7
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Poloturbo said:

Is this really a metal Flux?

Sorry, my mistake.  I have thought it was metal ever since I bought it.  After reading your post in reply I called Sean.  No metal.  The dampness comes from rubber and the method of construction.  I will correct the original post.

Edited by workshop7

22 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

Sorry, my mistake.  I have thought it was metal ever since I bought it.  After reading your post in reply I called Sean.  No metal.  The dampness comes from rubber and the method of construction.  I will correct the original post.

Thanks for sharing the details. Saw immediately after your post that the Flux is the Saber construction so damp with rubber but without metal. Still an amazing ride...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a Flux 162 at the start of the season to replace my Burton Custom 158.  I agree completely with what your saying, this board is awesome.  It holds a carve if that's what your doing, and is easy to slid around if you need to get out of a tight situation.

I wouldn't hesitate to order another one.

• 7 months later...

What size boots are you rocking with that 28cm waist? 

Do you think you can get away with a longer SCR for bigger turns, or is the 8-10 the right number for east coast?

How would the board handle the afternoon crud in hard boots? 

My increasing interest in carving, and increasing foot pain in soft boots, is leading me to investing in a hard boot setup for all day, all mountain riding. Flux seems like a great option for the deck!

10 hours ago, Grip said:

If that was directed at me... I'm not really sure but probably close to 28 to allow lower angles as I progress. Thanks!

Yes, it was. 28cm width for hardboots- are you sure? Seems a little wide...

Edited by daveo

• 3 months later...

@Grip and @daveo.  I ride my 28 waist Flux with size 11 Burton SLX boots, 33 degree front foot and 18 degree back foot.  Most hardbooters on a Flux wouldn’t ask for it to be made this wide, but it was necessary for the lower binding angles.  I would love to experiment with larger SCR, even in the same length.  Sorry it took me so long to respond to the above posts.  I didn’t know they were here.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I assume the flux is a stiff board . For the past five years I’ve owned burton custom x   158-160. I’m looking for a step up board something bigger and faster for groomers.   I’m thinking something 166 to 169. 
  I’m 5’ 7”, size 9 boot and weigh 175lbs.. looking for advise. 

17 hours ago, Colin said:

I assume the flux is a stiff board . For the past five years I’ve owned burton custom x   158-160. I’m looking for a step up board something bigger and faster for groomers.   I’m thinking something 166 to 169. 
  I’m 5’ 7”, size 9 boot and weigh 175lbs.. looking for advise. 

Hard or soft boots? Idea of waist width? Carving, freestyle or all mountain oriented?

• 2 weeks later...

Workshop7: 

I totally agree with your take on the Flux. My riding buddy & I each had Sean build one for us. Mine is 158 (don't know the SCR or width) but I love it. It is the best toy I have ever owned. My buddy is a bigger guy & his is about a 170. 

He's considering having Sean make him another one - as wide as Sean's equipment will go. 

We ride these in all conditions: powder, crud & carving. I never think "is this the right board for these conditions?". 

IMG_1011.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello.

I am planning to buy a donek board, I hesitate between Incline and Flux. I ride with softboots, EU47/48, low angles (-9 / +18). I am 190cm and +/-100kg. Looking for a board widest as possible. Actual board is Never Summer Proto FR 166DF (28.4 waist) and is not as wide as needed for big turns (board at 90 degrees from piste). Looking for a very stable board at high speed.

Can you help me to choose ? And, which lenght ? What about radius ?

Thanks in advance !

Vincent

4 hours ago, Ster said:

Hello.

I am planning to buy a donek board, I hesitate between Incline and Flux. I ride with softboots, EU47/48, low angles (-9 / +18). I am 190cm and +/-100kg. Looking for a board widest as possible. Actual board is Never Summer Proto FR 166DF (28.4 waist) and is not as wide as needed for big turns (board at 90 degrees from piste). Looking for a very stable board at high speed.

Can you help me to choose ? And, which lenght ? What about radius ?

Thanks in advance !

Vincent

I have Incline 160 Carbon, stock dimension with 24.1cm waist width. It carves well, I’d say better than Prior ATV (all mountain alpine board), but I believe Flux is more updated in terms of shape, flex and materials. If money is not an issue, I’d recommend Flux. 

IMG_9481.jpeg

I'd recommend just contacting Donek directly, telling Sean what you're looking for in a board and seeing where he steers you. I did that originally thinking I'd get an Incline, but he said a Flux would be better for the kind of riding I do and also helped tweak the specs for me. Overall I love my Flux, it absolutely rips. Keep in mind that the Flux has a long effective edge relative to its length, so it'll ride like a longer board than it's length might imply.

I have similar size feet to you and one thing to note is that my Flux should probably be wider in a perfect world, but it's the widest that Sean could make it at the time (I can't remember if I maxed out his equipment or just the blanks he had available at the time). Some of the other specs did affect that max waist width, so probably good to talk that kind of stuff over with Sean since he'll know what his limits are and what specs will affect the width. Having said that, I've never booted out with the Flux I have, so I can't complain. If you're curious, my board specs, boots, bindings, etc are on my profile.

Edited by staples156

I'm about 194cm tall, although I don't think that has a huge effect on which board to ride (despite what most people told me 20 years ago).

Sidecut radius is really more of a personal preference. I find that the 8.5-10m on my Flux is good most of the time, but occasionally I wish I had a bit bigger of a radius. But that's based on my riding style, skill, and local terrain. You may have very different needs.

If you go to the link below, I think you can answer some questions and it'll direct you somewhat, then you can also use the contact form to talk to someone at Donek that can help you pick the specs for your needs.

https://www.donek.com/get-started/

21 hours ago, staples156 said:

I'm about 194cm tall, although I don't think that has a huge effect on which board to ride (despite what most people told me 20 years ago).

Sidecut radius is really more of a personal preference. I find that the 8.5-10m on my Flux is good most of the time, but occasionally I wish I had a bit bigger of a radius. But that's based on my riding style, skill, and local terrain. You may have very different needs.

If you go to the link below, I think you can answer some questions and it'll direct you somewhat, then you can also use the contact form to talk to someone at Donek that can help you pick the specs for your needs.

https://www.donek.com/get-started/

I am discussing with Sean to finalize my order...

Flux 165-170cm, max wide, radius 10-12m. Have to choose !! Your advice will be precious !!

Do you know the "secret construction" proposed for extra $350 ? Does that be a good choice for the Flux ?