Note to New Members ×

ISO a slush slasher (mashed potato surfer)

Spiny Norman

I have devolved from a front foot corduroy carver into a rear foot soft snow soft boot slasher.

Right now i have a Lib Tech snow mullet that i love for most conditions that i ride in. However, when the (east coast) powder sits for a day or two or gets wind packed the mullet is easily deflected. Similarly, if things get steep and sticky it does not inspire confidence. Spingtime mashed potatoes also throw it around.

So i am looking for a board that can slash turns but doesn't get bullied in less than ideal New England soft snow conditions. I am not looking to bomb bowls. I make my living riding the sides  of the trail, ducking into those powdery spots skiers cant get to. Looking for a high degree of maneuverability but a little stiffer than the Mullet. Going to be using the old burton soft stepins but with ssiffer driver boots.

my thoughts are the Prior Khyber or the Winterstick Roundtail or something similar.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Spiny Norman

I had Khyber splitboards and solids and I bought a Snow Mullet to test a number of years ago. I also found the Snow Mullet got easy deflected when the conditions were not perfect powder. The middle of the board was too soft and I really did not like it when I pushed on it hard (even at my less than 150 pounds). I enjoy the Khyber in powder, but do not find it to be a good mixed conditions, heavier snow board, at all.

Taper will help you initiate turns and keep a board playful, but many tapered powder boards are too soft in the nose, both torsionally and longitudinally, to work well in chopped up snow or denser snow (i.e. Khyber and Snow Mullet).

As you have written, a stiffer board will serve you best in those conditions. I searched for that board for years, testing lots of supposedly versatile boards. I kept a Gnu Billygoat finally because it was the best, but not as good as I wanted. I have had a good one but it only comes as a splitboard, the G3 Blacksheep. I have also ridden the Furberg which worked really well, but has some quirks inbounds that I did not care for (sidecut radius makes it hard to do tighter carves on a groomer).

Two boards I have ridden over the last couple years that I find really versatile are from Peter Bauer's company, the Amplid Creamer and the Amplid Surfari. I found them because I ride their splitboard versions (Milligram and Millisurf). I was so impressed, I picked up the resort versions. You order direct from Amplid (It is very straight forward and they are very helpful).

The Creamer is an incredibly versatile board that is capable but forgiving and fun in powder, on groomers, and in mixed conditions. It excels in its ability to handle anything quite well. I have been riding the split version for three years, in all conditions, so I know it well. I have the 158 (I weigh 148 pounds). I bought the Creamer to try it out and did not expect to keep it, but it rode so well in resort conditions that I did not want to sell it. Until I got the Surfari.

The Surfari is new this year. It is a playful, tapered board, but Peter Bauer gave it a lot of backbone. It doesn't ride anything like the Snow Mullet or the Khyber. It is a more advanced board than the Creamer and it also handles all conditions (not really for super firm snow) really well. It is a super fun carver (hero and softer snow) and is great in powder and mixed conditions. Between the split and solid versions, I have had it in a wide range of conditions including steep powder, blower powder, deep but low angle power, and tree powder. I had my best softboot carving day this year on the Surfari on soft hero groom. Between carved turns, I was having a blast surfing banks above the groom. On another day, it did incredibly well carving soft, choppy groom. It is quite a bit stiffer than the Snow Mullet or Khyber and I am certain it would hold up well to mashed potatoes.

The Surfari is on the left.

DSC01520.thumb.jpg.d9d47c904bf5de20611547e453a9af66.jpg

Edited by Buell
  • Like 1

The Kessler Ride is a little stiff to be an optimum slush ride. It's capable but not ideal. The nose will slam into the piles of slush and want to drive through. If you're strong (ie. young), you just brute force it all day. But me, I don't want to work that hard.

I need something with a big, soft nose to ride over the piles of slush. 

My go-to spring slasher is the Korua Shapes Tranny Finder. Ya, I know, stupid name. But it rides great.

10 minutes ago, skategoat said:

The Kessler Ride is a little stiff to be an optimum slush ride. It's capable but not ideal. The nose will slam into the piles of slush and want to drive through. If you're strong (ie. young), you just brute force it all day. But me, I don't want to work that hard.

Rebecca said the same thing about her Kessler Ride (that she got from you). She loves it, but not for slush and bumps. She actually has the women's version of the Amplid Creamer for those conditions. The Tranny Finder looks like a cool board too!

I've done the same thing - went from hard boot racer/carver on a 182 carbon deck and the stiffest boots you can find, to a short side trail slush slasher (but still kinds sorta carve groomers soft boot style) Boards I've tried that work well are the Jones (I forget the name but its a split tail), K2 Cool Bean, Moss Wing Swallow (and Swallow looks good but have not tried it), Rome notch swallow, and Burton Familly Tree. I have not tried the Arbor Terapin but want to...

I've come to find that a really soft nose that just bends up and over stuff is great, and an equally soft tail (if its not too short) allows you to compress it (split tails do the same) and turn on a dime like pivoting a surfboard on the fins.

Edited by Corran

@Spiny Norman Check out our line-up like @Poloturbo suggested. The Blunt Diamond fits exactly what you are describing, and is available in 156 and 162. It is tapered and setback, but a little stiffer than most boards with these type of specs. The Lifer would also be a good option and is super fun, if you don't mind a little longer board (166). They are designed and made in eastern Canada. Shipping is free to the US, and low canadian dollar plays in your favor. If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

https://fullbag.com

47 minutes ago, Mig said:

@Spiny Norman Check out our line-up like @Poloturbo suggested. The Blunt Diamond fits exactly what you are describing, and is available in 156 and 162. It is tapered and setback, but a little stiffer than most boards with these type of specs. The Lifer would also be a good option and is super fun, if you don't mind a little longer board (166). They are designed and made in eastern Canada. Shipping is free to the US, and low canadian dollar plays in your favor. If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

https://fullbag.com

You guys going to do the Snowboard Demo at Bromont next weekend? Love to give your board a try

8 minutes ago, Corran said:

You guys going to do the Snowboard Demo at Bromont next weekend? Love to give your board a try

Sadly no. I think it's organized by Empire and only features brands they sell in their stores. I will let you know when our next one is in the Mtl area.

Edited by Mig