Note to New Members ×

Brand New Swoard Needs a Grind to get to a 1 degree Edge??

barryj

Brand new Swoard Dual II arrived today and I took it to the local tuning maestro I trust.   I was wanting a typical 1/2 tune and  he says the board came from the factory with a 2 edge and he would have to grind it to get back down to a 1 degree edge  !!   Seems ludicrous to take away material on a brand new board !!

He suggested he do a 2/2 and that I should ride it and see how it hooks up ...and that he sees Kesslers and Oxxes that come 2/2 and 2/3   from factory ??

Besides a 1/2 tune I've seen reference to doing a 1/3 tune...but never a 2/2 or 2/3   What Gives?? 

I think a lot of people get a little too excited about this particular statistic. Look at how wide your board is and picture the perhaps 1/64 th. of an inch edge that you are fixated on . Perhaps a slight  nose detune would serve  you better.  As a side note a new Coiler usually comes bottom 0 base  .5 degree sidewall.

Definitely not a 2/2!  For Tahoe I'd go with a 0.5/2 or a 1/2 if he can't do 0.5 or 0.75/2.  Maybe consider another tuner...

A lot of carving is in the mind.  If you feel your equipment is right-on that will translate to your riding!

Edit: it does sound like a board QC thing...unless EC does is different...

Also could it be a measurement thing?  

Edited by rjnakata
I get it now...

It appears strange that the base has a 2° because the factory is using a 0.5° setting on the base... I have checked it on mine on a wintersteiger new machine and operator confirmed it was .5..at 1° it started grinding. 

It is very difficult to measure the base angle unless you have a very precise machine btw..

As for settings, usually -1° is good on a multi purpose board, and I do 2° on the side to stay at 89° total on my Dual2. ( no detuning )

Nils

• Like 2