Note to New Members ×

Snow surfing over there...Japan

softbootsurfer

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Softbooter thanks for sharing.   We did you find it??

Loved it!   Glad I'm living the dream......and riding a Moss!

This was on Naotos fb page... they see the Mountain as a Wave... a perception I enjoy sharing ...all the early Snowboard Pioneers, were trying to Surf down the mountain  :biggthump

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

howdy

I am going to call this one out... Kotsugai Naoto is a great rider, but if your going to rip groomers

you should be on a carve specific board, yes you can carve on a powder board, but why? I am sure

he would rip powder on that thing. having many boards and boots for the right conditions make

more sense to have the right tool for the right job... but i'm sure he's having fun...anyways...

14 hours ago, west carven said:

yes you can carve on a powder board, but why?

Hey West,

I'm on my 3rd Moss and currently I have a Moss PQ60, which  I picked up new last year, which is same brand/model Naoto is riding (he's more likely on a PQ54)  and  my .02 is ....the versatility/freedom of the surfy (pow) boards is off the chart!      Let me just say I'm a huge fan of  my hard charging Alpine board, a new Coiler EC SS 177, it's a groomer slayer!.... but majoritively an Alpine board is a specific tool just for groomers.   With my Alpine setups I can't float the deep pow and then pop out on the groomers for some impressive carves and then dive back into the knee deep pow -  on the same run!!....... just ain't gonna happen!..............but that's a normal run to me on the Moss/newer designed surfy pow boards,  even in plates and hardboots, which I am on on the Moss. 

I will say this season I have downgraded my Moss mostly to pow days as poor conditions/rock rash have just put a beating the Moss and swallowtails in general and are just not as burly as, say my Swoard Dual II....which is my every day work board.

Here's a few other reasons why Naoto might  (and I)  like to carve on a pow board - 

1-  The new surf designed boards can....and Want To Carve  

2- The do it all ability of the surfy  pow boards                                                                                                                                                                                          

3- soft boot carving is extremely in vogue over there.                                                                                                                                                                                  

4- the challenge and skill set it takes                                                                                                                                                                                                          

5- It's fun and there's more freedom being in lighter gear, which is a nice change from all the weight of an Alpine setup                                                          

6 - After a couple days of destroying the groomers on my Alpine setup I'd used to have to take a day off....but now I don't miss a beat or a day....I just switch to my Moss and rip the groomers and/or the pow.......aka: easier on the legs than an Alpine board                                                                                  

7- It's his job - he's a Moss team rider

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

I am going to call this one out... Kotsugai Naoto is a great rider, but if your going to rip groomers

you should be on a carve specific board, yes you can carve on a powder board, but why? I am sure

he would rip powder on that thing. having many boards and boots for the right conditions make

more sense to have the right tool for the right job... but i'm sure he's having fun...anyways...

Naoto Kotsugai...Surfs for Fun, whether Water or Snow...he uses equipment that he likes...

West Carven and I almost went to blows over comments in regard to these “no tail” boards. Funny that my comment was to the effect that these boards ride poorly and it got misconstrued as the rider rides poorly. Right tool for the job I guess. Just looks like in anything other than deep and steep, these boards look like you are barely hanging on when it comes to groomers. Slash and go seems to be what they are best for.

• Like 1

It blows my mind that we (snowboarding)have come full circle.  These new style boards seem totally retro, like  Burton Backhill boards and early designs that had the rear binding set favoring the back of the board?  These riders are ripping,and I am sure they can ride and rip on any style board.

Snow surfing IMO, is a result, that comes from people who take the movements they have learned from surfing and put it to use on their Snowboard...whether it is Cliff, Mike, Larry, Joey, Sparky or many others with HB.  There have also, always been those in SB who Surf the Mountain as well...If you have climb and dropped, on a good Pointbreak wave, spent years doing that, then you would be able to express that feeling, that knowledge on your Snowboard...it is not the Equipment, it is the Rider...Moss, Dupraz, Winterstick, others...did not create Surf Style, It is simply a Style that is used by Surfers to surf on the Snow...my son Surfs, when he wants, on a 156 twin tip in both directions...to think that the equipment makes it more Surfy is just not the case, at least from my observations...I think it was Neil, as well as others here, who Stated Snowboarding is not Surfing, I agree, for anyone who has not spent years surfing, it is Impossible to do, or even envision...regardless the Stick they have underfoot...

• Like 1

On Wed Jan 17 2018 at 1:05 AM, softbootsurfer said:

This is well done and fun to watch...

Ah. Now it makes sense. I've seen so many people carving like this in Japan. With 0 tail, super setback powder boards and then carving groomers really well. Didn't know this was a thing I thought these guys just brought out the wrong board that day. 

I love a lot of the riding coming out of Japan!  Maybe if we keep having good winters at the local I can justify trying to pick up a Moss.

+

Just wondering one thing though...  In the video of Katsugai Naoto there appears to be a lot of Craig Kelly knees-together riding going on (around 3:24 for example).  Is this making a comeback?  If so, I'm set and going to dust off my old Burton cant disc!