Note to New Members ×

Getting the full extension on toe side advice

eusahn

Hello, here's a little clip of me trying to get the full extension.

Basically, the problem I have is that when I do get low, I want to extend my legs but the edges are so locked in that they don't move at all. I tried putting more of the weight onto my upper body after getting low to relieve this pressure, but I am not sure if that's the right technique to do it.

I have gotten some fully extended lay downs by fluke, but I'm wondering if anyone out here do see a obvious problem, if things can be seen from the video at all.

One of the problems I do think I have is that my weights sort of near the back, hence the very sharp turn that I get when I do get low.

Thanks!

Edited by eusahn

Hey Welcome Eusahn!  

Hmm..... it would help to know what board, boots, binding, stance width  and angles your riding.    A photo of your board can say alot.

From what I can see (and tell your film crew to get closer next time ) your not reaching as we would call it.......your bending at the waist and touching the snow to the side of you.   "Reaching" is not the best term to try to emulate.....better word to visualize what you want your body to do  is "extending" which is achieved after the turn is initiated....and your turning could be limited by your stance, binding angles, etc.

I'm sure many other people will chime in on this  .....and as it seems to be  softboot specific  I'll let those Sages speak up!

But again welcome to the forum~

• Like 1

Quick question can you do down unweighted/cross-under turns by this i mean you change edges by droping down(i think of it as pulling the board up to meet me though) on the edge change then progressively extending throughout the turn before you drop into down again into the next edge change?

A laid down euro carve in softboots is pretty much just an exaggerated version of a down unweighted/cross-under turn.

• Like 2

Eu....

Check this out around 2:55.   There are some moments of softboot 'Extending'.  .....and some of "bending" but these guys still rip in the Friggin Cold!

For training purposes try to emulate the image that the still shot for the video: on toeside reaching your rear hand to heel side of board and pull and hold it in the turn....your toe side hand should be infront of you or reaching out to the side....not down by your side.  This will help getting you and the board tipped more on edge and holding /riding that edge longer through the turn

Of course once you get the idea and technique... where your hands go is a style thing..... Happy Ripping!  

Barry i know its very much a apples and pears kind of thing but i wouldn't really class that as a euro more just a grabbed toe edge carve since there is no extension of the legs like you see here though I maybe wrong on this. Saying that it is a good place to start since that's how I initially learned how to do them before learning to go to full extension.

Nitro-Carver-Crue-8.jpg

Edited by scottishsurfer

1 hour ago, scottishsurfer said:

Quick question can you do down unweighted/cross-under turns by this i mean you change edges by droping down(i think of it as pulling the board up to meet me though) on the edge change then progressively extending throughout the turn before you drop into down again into the next edge change?

A laid down euro carve in softboots is pretty much just an exaggerated version of a down unweighted/cross-under turn.

I am not familiar with the lingo with carving, but I do feel like I can do those without a problem. Is there a video of someone doing it? That would get rid of this uncertainty.

For this i shall refer to our god and saviour Mr knapton

the whole video is pretty good but if you skip to 6min 29s you will see ryan doing linked cross-under turns I suggest you set the speed to 0.25x to make it easier to see. Watch his legs during the turn they are almost straight to get on to the other edge he has to pull the board back up underneath him before he can then extend out on to the other edge. 

7min 45s youll actually see him fully extend into a euro carve from a cross under turn not his best by far but its an example of one in the same video atleast.

36 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

For this i shall refer to our god and saviour Mr knapton

the whole video is pretty good but if you skip to 6min 29s you will see ryan doing linked cross-under turns I suggest you set the speed to 0.25x to make it easier to see. Watch his legs during the turn they are almost straight to get on to the other edge he has to pull the board back up underneath him before he can then extend out on to the other edge. 

7min 45s youll actually see him fully extend into a euro carve from a cross under turn not his best by far but its an example of one in the same video atleast.

Yes! If you are referring to those I am confident in doing them. However, ive only been doing them in short radius turns like he did!

Edited by eusahn

Ok if thats the case i'll break it down in steps for how i like to do them.

1: be high on your heel edge carve
2: as you cross slope drop down heavyily bending your knees the lower the easier it will be and begin to transition to your toe edge.
3: as edge is begining to bite i start to open my hips slighty towards the nose of the board and my shoulders are almost fully across the board
4: the board will pretty much be fully onto the toe edge my rear hand(right hand  regular/left hand goofy) will touch the snow. 
5: the board is now fully up on edge my hand and now also my elbow are on the snow.
6: smoothly and with equal pressure extend both legs most of your weight should still be held by the edge of the board think of it as roughly 70% weight on your edge 30% on your elbow.
7: enjoy the ride
8: smoothly pull the board back up underneath you and you'll generally stand up out of the carve without needing to push up with your hand though it'll probably take a few attempts before you get the feel for it.

I find there a little easier with a bit of speed but to get the basics down you can do it quite slowly it generally just makes standing up out of the carve harder at the end. There are many other better riders than me here and i maybe little wrong in procedure but hopefully im not to far off the mark :).

Feel free to correct me guys if i'm missing something fundamental. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottishsurfer said:

wouldn't really class that as a euro more just a grabbed toe edge carve since there is no extension

Totally agree SS....just trying to get EU to see his "reaching" is mostly bending at the waist, compared to the guys in the video are squatting....which is giving them some "extension"

EU......  this video might also help you see how bending/squatting at the knees,  not bending at the waist gets you closer to "extending"

Edited by barryj
  • Like 2

full extension is right at the end of step 6, 7 you are at full extension just enjoying the carve.

To euro on the elbow on soft boots you preferbly want to be in an open position. step 3 is where I open up ie my shoulders are across the board this has the affect of it puts my rear arm closer to the snow without having to reach and also it allows me look where im going without having to twist my neck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, barryj said:

Totally agree SS....just trying to get EU to see his "reaching" is mostly bending at the waist, compared to the guys in the video are squatting....which is giving them some "extension"

EU......  this video might also help you see how bending/squatting at the knees,  not bending at the waist gets you closer to "extending"

I wasn't meaning to get at you, i'm sorry if that's how i came across. 

Thanks, even though I've lurked for a fair bit here I'm still fairly new in talking to everyone here so kind of still finding my feet.

I jokingly refer to that style of grabbed carve as a Barra's carve after a famous outdoor market near me that used to be notorious for selling things like fake Rollex watches. The average punter cant spot a fake Rollex neither can they tell what a proper euro carve is hence Barra's carve :D

2 hours ago, eusahn said:

At which step does the full extension happen? 

When the board is pointing straight down the fall line, more or less. 

In other words, you are pushing too late. Also, the edge is supposed to be locked in, otherwise you are not carving. You can not "move the board away from you" as you are trying to imply, that would be a sliding turn.... 

As you're performing "extension turns" (bending the legs for edging and extending them for the board flattening and edge change) you're doing it the wrong way.

The extension phase should gradually start after the flattening (+/- perpedicular to the fall line) till being +/- pointing down the fall line.

Then, past the fall line, should start the legs retraction phase, pulling them back towards you till being at the maximum flexion at the edge change when the board gets flat.

You will be then performing  "flexion turns" as you go from one edge to the other one, through a flexion of the legs.

If doing  "extension turns", impossible for you to extend the legs right after the edge change as you are already in extension !

And of course as BlueB said by extending the legs you want the edge to be locked in for a true carving turn.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, scottishsurfer said:

think of it as roughly 70% weight on your edge 30% on your elbow.

Don't think of that.  This only robs edge hold and hurts your technique.  The good riders in the videos posted have 0% weight on their elbow/hand/arm.  Most of the time Knapton uses it more as a feeler.  Like a motorcycle racer's knee.  Sometimes he does use it as a crutch, but many people including me are guilty of that sometimes.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, eusahn said:

One of the problems I do think I have is that my weights sort of near the back, hence the very sharp turn that I get when I do get low.

A 7.something metre sidecut radius is going to give an extremely sharp turn if carved at a high angle, wherever your weight is. It would be over so fast that it makes it hard to figure out what's going on. A larger radius gives you some "down" time to think about what you are doing during the turn.  A carved turn normally starts with weight forward, and finishes with weight back. 

Walk before running. Focus on making good clean, carved turns before venturing off into body carve land. Too many riders do not have the fundamentals to take things to the next level. How many soft boot vids do we see a weak heel side followed by an outrigger toeside where the edge is just washing out. Or the proverbial stink bug. A powerful turn with some speed will hold enough edge pressure to “push away” and reel it back in

365B0F5A-C226-4A03-AF5F-0EB0D17A2FD8.png

Edited by slopestar