Note to New Members ×

Burton Step-On Bindings review

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Getting in was aok.   Reaching the Step On's  minuscule release lever was an uncomfortable streeeetch for me and it doesn't seem they have made any changes or improvements to the latest editions.  

No changes for the most part for next year except the Ion and Photon SO boots get Vibram soles, a new Genesis and Escapade StepOn binding and new toe hook 2.0 for all bindings…from Burton guides, “we should all be able to purchase/acquire the new toe hook 2.0 to upgrade any older bindings.”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some thoughts and modifications to the Ion step-On X combo. 

Boots: I use Ions most of the time: Ion for strap bindings; Ion Step-On for Step-On X. The Step-On version of Ion is slightly stiffer than the traditional Ion. But both are somewhat weak in lateral support. So I went ahead and bought powerride plastic shin support. the "tongue" has quite some support on the toeside, and, with the wings on the side, provide me with a lot more lateral support. 

xyz-actionsports_pbawws.jpg.1d20c25b987c57c9f3ec538ce8cdef2b.jpg

The Step-On X binding: three problems

1. There is some noise on the toe cleats. Just rub some wax onto the cleats and the noise will be gone. (Rumors say that Burton will fix this problem in the 2021-22 step-Ons) 

2. There are some delays in the toeside turn since the Step-On X creates two gaps: a. the gap for forward-lean adjustment; b. the area for folding the high-back. Both places caused some delays. A quick fix is to use zip ties and tie the lose part up. 

1645130467_thumbnail_image0(2).jpg.b5ad2f2c3917e403825cb56a25fca1f5.jpg

1020882591_thumbnail_image0(3).jpg.c8441b565f7f8b3b80a35461285f687f.jpg

3.The footbed does not seem to be thick enough and as a result there's some wiggling space between the boot and the footbed. A simple solution is to put a thin layer of snow as you step on. As long as you can reach the second click, it'll work very well. A thicker footbed would be the ultimate solution, but Burton doesn't have a plan to make one as of this writing (after talking with Burton HQ and the manager at NYC flagship store).

Other than the potential boot-out problem, this setting is among the most responsive SB setups. 

Edited by Sunan
Adding more details to existing problems and my solution to each
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, Sunan said:

1. There is some noise on the toe cleats. Just rub some wax onto the cleats and the noise will be gone. (Rumors say that Burton will fix this problem in the 2021-22 step-Ons) 

We can see Burton's modifications here....but, will that mod be effective ?.....

https://skiisandbiikes.com/products/burton-step-on-x-snowboard-bindings-2022

On 8/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, Sunan said:

2. There are some delays in the toeside turn since the Step-On X creates two gaps: a. the gap for forward-lean adjustment; b. the area for folding the high-back. Both places caused some delays. A quick fix is to use zip ties and tie the lose part up. 

Nice DIY mod....but I assume it is only for the front foot as the back one need the highjack to be flipped down to avoid being hit by the chairlift....

Been using Burton's RAF tongues (discontinued) for years to stiffen my Drivers X for years with success but if I do step forward for the step ons like I'm planning to, those tongues with some lateral support look interesting......where did you get them from ?

Also, one of the weak points I see with step ons is the lack of fine binding tuning regarding screw holes, stance, offset etc.....probably a detail for the majority but something to also consider.....

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, RoroSnow said:

We can see Burton's modifications here....but, will that mod be effective ?.....

https://skiisandbiikes.com/products/burton-step-on-x-snowboard-bindings-2022

Nice DIY mod....but I assume it is only for the front foot as the back one need the highjack to be flipped down to avoid being hit by the chairlift....

Been using Burton's RAF tongues (discontinued) for years to stiffen my Drivers X for years with success but if I do step forward for the step ons like I'm planning to, those tongues with some lateral support look interesting......where did you get them from ?

Also, one of the weak points I see with step ons is the lack of fine binding tuning regarding screw holes, stance, offset etc.....probably a detail for the majority but something to also consider.....

For toe side updates, I'll get one pair to test it out. But this is a minor problem easily solvable with some rubbed on wax. 

the blue winged plastic tongue is called powerride (Inst: powerride_freeride). The one showed in the picture is a medium flex one. The company is rolling out a hard flex (red) one for 2021-22.  In addition, there are many different types of tongue for different sizes and preferences. I have purchased/tested two types, looking to test a third. 

WHERE TO BUY: I personally bought the Japanese products from Zenmarket. The platform charges 3.5% of the item price +300JPY each item. Still looking for an even cheaper channel. And at this time, those tongues are soldout (unless you can accept the version without the side wing). Once the 2021-22 season starts, I believe  those tongue will become available. 

Adjustability is always the big down side  for step Ons. I'm exploring some modifications on a pair of Flux xv (xs size) as well. 😛

• Like 1