Note to New Members ×

Break through day today!

1xsculler

I know the feeling; congratulation!

Paraphrase my kendo teacher:  
Getting my first dan doesn't meant mastery; merely know what to work on (sometime).

Now getting the "carve" consistently over various condition:  pitch, steep, narrow, icy, crowd is going to take me a life time...

Which is why I enjoyed it so much at sucking lol

I had just as good of a day on my slalom 163 as on my AM 176 which is what I suspected and hoped for.  It just turns a little tighter and is a little bit less stable.

You can either carve or you can't and it seems to happen in an instant, following a lot of struggling, similar to when you first learned to ride a bicycle. If you can carve, you can link up turns where the tail follows the nose in a pencil line with zero skid.  I'm well aware that being able to finally lay out some decent trenches on some parts of some runs doesn't mean you can do it if snow conditions or if the terrain changes.  That's where the lifelong pursuit comes in.  It's just a great feeling to have a little success.

Congrats there Sculler!     When you hit the sweet carve spot by accident or on purpose that first few times it's an OMG! moment.... that's so addicting you'll want to replicate it again an again !!

Remind us what your boot/binding setup is on the two boards....................   

Set-up the same on both boards. 55/50, ~19 to 20" stance width, front binding centered, rear binding back a little, front:  6* toe lift, 3* outward cant, rear:  4* heel lift, 3* inward cant, F2 Titanflex, size 28 UPZ RC8s with Deeluxe 131 (I think they're similar to what they now call HB) liners with a big slit cut on top of and through  the liner at the base of my toes, i.e. huge improvement in comfort, like night and day.

Next Tuesday I will take my 2017 NFCB 172 and my slalom board and I hope I can continue to slowly improve.  I know that grooming, snow condition and slope steepness make a huge difference.

No particular reason on more front lift than back and I'm still changing something every time I head back up to the Mt.  My next change will be to change from 4* to 6* heel lift on the back.

Corey rides 6* front, I think, and in his clinic vids it looks like it.

In addition to the 3* outward cant on the front I adjusted my front RC8 cuff so it is max outward cant too.  My goal in front toe lift and outward cant was to get my board to appear to be perpendicular to my leg when sticking it out straight when on the chair.  I didn't want it to look like left edge (regular footed) was hanging lower than the right edge.  When standing on my front foot only on the board on the snow I wanted it to feel like there was about equal pressure on both edges. I didn't like that previous feeling that my board was always angled so that it was slipping away from me to the side when I was pushing along with my back foot out.

My belief : once you have a bit of the feel and can kinda, sorta carve, board, angles, cants, lifts, bindings, boots, etc. don't make all the much difference.

Whatever I have now found, my speck of success, I could probably go back to my SX91 ski boots and my UP 69 board and do the same. Now the quest for carving on various terrains and snow conditions looms large.  Quads of steel still required and not yet there.

2 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

My belief : once you have a bit of the feel and can kinda, sorta carve, board, angles, cants, lifts, bindings, boots, etc. don't make all the much difference.

Felt a cold coming on earlier today. Just read this and the symptoms are.... gone.

2 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Quads of steel still required and not yet there.

If you need quads of steel, particularly at the stage of development you describe, you might be doing it wrong, or your gear might be configured improperly. Probably both.

If you move all the moveable parts around, and it doesn't much change the way the board handles, it's probably time to change the way you handle the board.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • LOL 1

So, Front toe lift does this; it puts you Behind every turn. Rear-foot heel lift does this; It lets you recover from deep turns, and move Forward to the next turn. Thus, have more rear-foot heel lift than front-foot toe lift, unless you always wish to be 'late' getting into the next turn. I say this, REGARDLESS of snow conditions. Be sure your cants/riding angles are 'comfy' at the primary joints of the ankles, knees, hips, such that you can move without restriction through the entirety of the carved ( or non-carved?! )  turn. Testing your 'set-up' on a carpet, in front of a full-length mirror will help in finding any balance glitches that your stance impedes upon. And, Park the Salomons; nice boot to cruise on skis with, but, no, it's not a snowboard-friendly boot, by design...