Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 2017/2018

lonbordin

Back at PP.  First FIRM day of the winter for me.  Fascinating how one forgets what FIRM is like.

I had a lot of fun riding with my son.

Took out @James Ong's Coiler 186 Pure Race WCC.  It feels like I could cleave the earth with that board.  It's the first time I've ever ridden it... it was more impressive than I would've imagined.  It also performed like it's SCR is much larger than 15m.  This board needs a lot of hill and some speed.  I wished I had taken it to Spirit earlier this season.  I'm definitely taking it back in March.  I'll have to send my son ahead to make sure the run is clear.

Insight was had in regards to some of my equipment.  More testing is necessary.  I'm hoping to go back tomorrow evening to test my hypothesis.

Edited by lonbordin
Solid like a rock

Went back tonight... the snow we received at my home was rain at Paoli Peaks.  Ice everywhere down in Paoli. The ice wasn't melted when I arrived around 16:30, yet the air temp was in the mid thirties.  Three hours later the thermostat at the Peaks was saying 22 F.

53Uxw9j.jpg

Lumpy, cut up, going to bowling ball.  While fast a very trying surface... My Nirvana wasn't liking it a bit... not at all.  I had brought a second choice for fun and decided since they had some gates setup for a clinic I would bring it out...  185 Kessler with Apex plate (TD3 Sidewinders).

Dammit that Kessler/Plate is DAMP.  I was flying and you'd think it was a decent groomed pitch.  Just fantastic... mind blowing even.  It just soaks up everything.  And fast... whew... fast.  I was seriously blown away by its performance but I shouldn't be... It was built for an icy, water injected, undulating race course.

I went in and ate a slice of pizza... when I came back out most of the guns were on signaling my time to exit.

CJIOqnm.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
ok blockquote doesn't work

1 hour ago, bobble said:

is it really that flat up top?

Yup... most of our "vert" occurs after the ridge... hopefully this screencap shows what I'm writing about... 

X marks the spot where the previous photo was taken. The USGS sure calls into question their 300' of vert! Looks more like a generous 280 (820-540) to me... maybe they measure from the top of the lodge. :eek:

image.png.005399dc134abd9b118b1ddbc202d937.png

image.png.f067943309b9e7c063626867e004f083.png

Oh yeah! Back at the "Peaks". C'mon there's only a ridgeline... certainly not multiple peaks.

Took the kid and friend.  Lots of folks on college night and many buses in the lot but luckily they were largely sticking to the green runs so plenty of open space and I needed it as I took the 185 Kessler & Apex plate.  Zooooooom. Wow... the setup even saves me from my own mistakes. BONUS!   (Kinda crazy really)

Snow was variable yellow ice to near slush and everything in between but good lines were available.  And I made more than a few jump turns... that was different!

Hypothesis testing is completed... I know what I need to do!  

Rode with the kids... great night.

Edited by lonbordin
There was a buckboard running a lantern... just couldn't get the camera ready in time!

Back at the Peaks with my son... Rode the Kessler for first runs this morning... If you're not riding it... it's fine with riding you at speed. Whew. Got too soft pretty quickly after open so I put it back in the car. 

Snow had a wee bit of crust at open then became soft... heading to really soft.  Crowds descended and we headed out.  Great to be riding with my son... he's not shy about feedback and has a keen eye, fine by me!

Continued setup hypothesis testing... so eager to try the next thing but I'm out of town for work for next week and I won't be able to fit in a trip to Liberty or Whitetail while at HQ this time. So it's just going to have to wait.  I'd go tomorrow morning but it appears we have an ice storm moving in... hope I can make it to the airport tomorrow afternoon!

Oh man...

Many days of rain and temps in the sixties. Paoli reopened for President weekend. 

20180216_161341.thumb.jpg.685fd194d2fa7285922ac12ab8849c73.jpg

They've used up all the snow stores and we just have ribbons. I had fun riding with my son.

A liftie in the know told us Tuesday might be the last day for THE SEASON. The forecast is above freezing and rain from Tuesday through Saturday. Maybe the new management should reconsider not blowing snow while guest are on the hill.

I'm in denial right now... Can't believe Sat, Sun. could be it until Spring Break at Spirit.

20180216_161338.thumb.jpg.01a555f9e8b50ff023b91ffba1b77c4c.jpg

Sigh...

The weather forecast was incorrect.

20180217_103111.thumb.jpg.87840b048200cf79d585cb68fcd62806.jpg

It snowed! Paoli Peaks received a couple of inches before we left around noon.

It was a good day with my son. We took first laps on all the quad-side runs at open on a holiday weekend Saturday. Crazy!  It dropped below freezing last night so there was firmness to be found.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's opening... Should be pretty decent.

Maybe we won't receive the rains and 70+F temps next week and might have a carnival next weekend after all.

...or Monday might be it, sigh.

THREE inches of new snow + grooming + a few hours of Sub-Zero temps = Fuckin' fantastic.

Best day of the year. Was there at lift start... Went until the masses were in full effect.

The good (top) and the bad

20180218_091822.thumb.jpg.47ad4e1fefbb4659dd63f9191cf41c77.jpg

Pastoral-

20180218_102305-01.thumb.jpeg.02ac71d431eef6aa9284b018040ef422.jpeg

Hmmmnn might go to the other Indiana resort tomorrow, weather permitting.

Edited by lonbordin
I wore myself out today.

1 minute ago, bobble said:

what do ride for conditions like this?

this would be when i break out the softies just to get to end of the season.

the narrow trail on top with ice... jeeeesus.

The conditions were awesome for PP, really.  Yes the trails were narrow but no ice.  I see the foreground of my first pic is scary... but that's not the trail, it doglegs to the left there.

image.png.0419c4bbfd20468b93129d3d4fd99591.png

Here's the top of the run, zoomed and cropped... it was nice, honest. Deep trenches all over the hill.

Operations Suspended until Friday as expected.  The forecast leans season is over, see below. Often I can get a few bonus days at Perfect North but they're suspended as well and subject to the same forecast.  If the season is over it will be the second shortest Paoli season in ~13 years... I know the new management has done a lot of cost cutting this season but I wonder if it will be enough.  Also, will people keep coming to a resort that is becoming more run-down each season?  The parking areas were nearly full only a couple of times this season.  It's only a matter of time before vulnerable resorts fall to climate change.  Places like Hidden Valley, Paoli Peaks, Perfect North, and the lower altitude Southern Appalachian resorts will be the first to fall.  

image.png.869e541b64309988acada0c2f69833b4.png

3 hours ago, Corey said:

I feel for you man!  The nearest ski hill decided to save money by only making snow on one run (of 5) this year.  The others are ok if you like grass/rocks.  Sad.  

Thanks Corey and Dammit... If I remember that's a long drive for you!  That sucks!  I hope you got some snow from the last system!