Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 2014/15

lonbordin

First day out yesterday and only second day this season PP was open.  I'm missing that polar vortex!!!

Took the new Coiler Nirvana.  Had 3.5 sublime runs, it's a real confidence booster, then my front bail broke on a heelside.  :barf:

No biggie... things break but it made for a very short day and I was really looking forward to spending some time on the new board.

Put the old Catek OS1's on last night... trying to plow through work this morning maybe go today.  Rain later today and tomorrow in the forecast, then finally a period of cold weather.  

PP needs the cold several of the runs have little to no snow on them at all. 

Plowed through work and made it out there around 1330.  Soft and grippy was today's conditions.  Left at 1630 with light rain just starting.

The Colier is a blast... I'll write up something after I get some more laps under my belt.  Rain and even a chance of thundershowers all day tomorrow with a high around 60F!

Paoli might be closed Sunday.... :-(

Went Monday and Tuesday.

Monday they had made ~2ft of snow so I went to the hill thinking soft and sticky machine snow.  It was boiler hard under a thin layer of sugar... only a couple of runs were worth doing.  PP was blasting the snowblowers everywhere... good for testing the clothing for weak points. Monday picture shortly after our arrival-

20150105_180151.jpg

Tuesday they had made another 10" but it had warmed up and they turned the guns off a little late by the evidence of icy hardness everywhere.  Only one run that was ok but still really tricky... saw more than a few patrolers and instructors picking themselves up off the snow. They were turning all the guns back on when we were leaving-

20150106_193523.jpg

Why yes I do snowboard mostly at night... doesn't everyone?!  :freak3:

Another different night at PP.  They've almost blown enough snow to open all the runs.  The blown "snow" from the last couple of days is really dry.  Unfortunately the folks whom work all the blowing are some of the same folks whom do the grooming and it's quite obvious they are very tired and getting through it as fast as possible.  Great snow tonight... abysmal grooming. 

From the best run available tonight-

20150109_184638.jpg

We had a good time.  Looking forward to later in the season.

Edited by lonbordin

Just as an aside... I have no idea why PP has such a fascination with rollers. They seem to delight in putting hills wherever they can... finding a flat stretch is a fool's errand.

Also college nights might be the most dangerous time to be on the slopes at Paoli... straight-liners everywhere!

PP Webcam at 2300 EST.

3sGy4dT.png

Edited by lonbordin

Today was really great snow... squeaky.  That doesn't happen too often.  The groom was re-donk-u-lous... aka really poor. Apparently last night they took it upon themselves to make even more rollers (compare it with the picture two posts up).  :smashfrea  I know it's a small hill and the snowmaking crew is the grooming crew and they didn't sleep much this week.  Here's hoping next week is better!

20150110_154802.jpgNice air from some kid.  

All in all it was a great day.  I was railing on the new Coiler at another level.  My teenage son told me I looked better than the end of last year already! :eek:    Progress!   :freak3:

(Seriously my Coiler is AWESOME!!!)

From the top-

20150110_143318.jpg

Edited by lonbordin

• 1 month later...

Paoli Peaks is closed for season (note: they are hedging that they may open this weekend, but I doubt it.) with a base of 60+ inches.

I didn't race as much this season and focused more on carving.  It paid off as I made some major riding improvements.

Loving that Coiler Nirvana.

Had some good snow days as of late as they received ~8 to 10 inches of fresh snow over the last week and a half.

I also backed off on posting my trips as I felt it wasn't helpful to me...

Saddest day of the year for me is closing day with full groom and all the golfers that work at the local bump with  smiles  on their faces. All that money spent making snow and no one with the marketing skills to make it pay.

PP just sits the rest of the year other than two races that occur on the hill.  Not sure why they don't attempt to become a destination... but most of the staff does farming in the off season.

hv was a golf club in the summer until 2009. Not many people want to play 18 holes that are all uphill par 3s :smashfrea

There's always been chatter about people wanting to mtn bike during the summer, but apparently it isn't cost effective, and the lodge has no ac.

Edited by theboarderdude