Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 2016/17

lonbordin

• 2 weeks later...

Back at Paoli today.  Cold but still somehow blowing really sticky snow. 

Only Four full length runs open and not wide... surprisingly little snow.

Of course, they were blowing everywhere.  Working out all the equipment kinks and lack of memory (I rode first part of the day in walk mode :smashfrea)

In the afternoon they re-aligned the guns and Mindbender was alright.  

My son got his new boots dialed in and I to got my setup working.

Fields all around are REALLY green.

Edited by lonbordin

Went Wednesday by myself. Worked on keeping that right arm forward... Tend to drop it behind... Too many days petting the cat while surfing.

OK conditions on one run... The rest were laughable at best 

Back today. Conditions were really good accross the hill. Switched the Grey UPZ tongues for the black. Wanted some increased flexibility.

Had a great day with my son.

Came home to find out my wife has booked us into Chestnut Mountain for the holiday, complete surprise. Just finished packing. Leave early tomorrow.

Back out last night.  Some rain showers but I watched the radar closely and headed in for a slice of pizza and a beer during the worst of it.

It was soft on top, ice underneath... typically really.  :smashfrea  Tracks don't lie... they don't have mouths.

Tracks.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
Broken link...

Sugar on ice again tonight. Runs are getting narrow and thin with all the rain and high temperatures... Really concerned they will have to close until colder temps.

Best run was the beginner side where all the beginners had pushed the snow off the center onto the side of the run which made going down the side of the run kinda floaty and fun.

Still a good night to be out with my son, fairly crowded but no lift lines.

Edited by lonbordin

They reopened later Wednesday... reports were horrible conditions.

So, of course, we went yesterday.  :smashfrea  It was still horrible.  :barf:

Super cold.  Slope conditions went from they haven't moved that snow gun in a long time to cue ball hard ice.  Usually we can roam the hill and find an ok run or a decent line... yeah not so much.  I could go tonight but I think I'll pass... Go early tomorrow instead.  Finish the kitchen tiling project tonight, threshold making time!

pp.png

Edited by lonbordin
The difference a couple of days makes

Got to Paoli Saturday afternoon with the kids in tow.  Unfortunately engine problems turned prevented an earlier arrival.  Had to turn back and get another vehicle.

Good conditions.  Was still blowing everywhere... spent most of the night working on form on Mindbender.

Went back Sunday by myself.  Fantastic conditions on MindBender.  Giant rollers everywhere... Paoli's obviously trying to bank the snow to make it through the predicted rains and warm weather this week.  For some reason they really haven't blown much on Grabbers (the only "black diamond").  Bummer it's still really narrow.  I hope they blew some last night.

Looks like Empire is closed this morning (photo)... probably going to do some park building.

pp-park.PNG

Edited by lonbordin
added photo

Went back this afternoon as the rain is a coming!  Great conditions. Wore myself out.

A little bird told me they will close the next few days to ride the weather out.

Can't believe it's supposed to be 60+f the day after tomorrow.  What a world...  what a world.

Went to Paoli.  Had a blast for 4 runs... on the 5th I folded the nose of my beloved Coiler.  

I am sad...

Conditions were actually fun only really soft on one run and I think I found the peak softness. DAMMIT!

To add insult to injury I was talking with one of the PP staff after the incident... this might be it for the season... with next ten days' forecast of warm temps and rain for Paoli they may not be able to open again for the season.  No days sufficiently cold to blow in the forecast + all the money they've already spent essentially covering the hill three times this season (rumor is 300k!) + staff will leave to find other jobs.  

Yes, this is the part of the film where everyone is hoping for a Christmas miracle...

there's Sierra Cement and Cascade Concrete I'm calling it Paoli Particulate.

Follow me here...

The water comes from a dirty creek filled with sediment and run-off from surrounding towns and fields.  The mountain Ops is quick to tell little kids NOT to eat the snow.  When it melts, which is frequent, the percentage of particulates is concentrated in each underlying layer.

Add to this mixture massive swings in temperature on a daily basis = Paoli Particulate

Today the Paoli Particulate was interesting. It has been raining for three days now and the temps have been at or above freezing.

The groom was smooth this morning.  Think slushy with more of a congealed nature. Really flat light all day as one would expect.

Today the backup QB was relieved of two years bench duty.  A Donek made for Dave Behle in 2002 [175,23cm waist, 13m SCR]... all glass in immaculate condition for the age, plenty of liveliness left in the board. Ran 50,55 with no plate.

Many of Paoli's runs have a high center with a lower side that one can ride like a wave... pumping down the line.  I did this a bunch today.  It was fun... not "true" carving but a happy respite. 

One unfortunate issue is carves could go to brown... getting thin out there!

ghostly.jpg

carvetobrown.jpg

tracks2.jpg

Edited by lonbordin

Went tonight with my son... Had not told him this could be the last night of the season...

We stop at the local grocery to get some food on the way to the hill and I come around the corner... He's talking with the mother-in-law of the head Paoli snowblower... She's telling him they were all called in for a meeting today. Peaks Resort HQ says no more snow making this season... So... We're done.  Maybe they'll open this weekend but that will be it... Warm temps and rain are our forecast. Quite a somber mood out on the hill. Instructors running the most junior through CASI level 1 tests... Ski patrol running it's tests. No mountain OPS to be seen anywhere... They didn't even groom last night. Hell I didn't see a single person of authority anywhere.  There wasn't anyone skiing either as it's rained all day... It only stopped as well pulled into the lot.

Snow fog was everywhere from rapid evaporation. Snow was slushy but crusty firm in deeper areas. Sucked.

Rode the Donek and no plate. Had to stop after 3.5 hours as my knees and ankles were beat. Oh, it was 54F (12C) when we left.

A hell of a last few days... Sigh.

Edited by lonbordin
Climate change is real and it sucks.

is closing early for the season this early unusual? there was one year where all our local ski hills closed mid February because of rain.

... and this week we're having a warm-up too. suppose to be hitting 40's later this week with rain on saturday. i'm hoping we can recover. i hate it when :AR15firinpeople tell me (or gloat) on how great that its warming up. 

so a round of pain for everyone. :angryfire

So PP is opening tomorrow... the only blue sky day in the 10 day forecast.  I looked at the webcam... there's no snow between the top area of the two main lifts (sorry should've taken a screen shot).  I'm taking the world killer (pictured) because... why not?!  :freak3: 

(I'll have other boards in tow... don't worry). 

Racing.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
What?! Your world killer isn't pastel colored?!

Damn the REV is fast and boy are the trails narrow!!! Exciting... But not in a good way... More like I'm going to be headed off trail and crash kinda way.  Swapped to the wide old Donek after a handful of runs.

Tomorrow's rain will determine whether today was the last day.

20170118_180515.jpg

Went to Paoli for the last time this season unless a miracle occurs.  They may be open Sat & Sun but I value my equipment and my safety over my season pass.

There was as much mud as snow in some places.

I've read Trump has already removed the climate change page from the White House website... What an idiot.

20170120_175104.jpg

20170120_175848.jpg

20170120_175133.jpg

59 minutes ago, bobble said:

based on your pictures there's no way in hell i would try to ride an alpine board.

it looks dangerphuckerous © 2000 Trent Johnson. All Rights Reserved

not even sure it would be fun in softies.

ever make it to SES?

I can't keep my crown of reigning king of riding crap if I don't push myself. :smashfrea

I've never been able to attend any expression session... I need to make it a priority.

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Bob, you should try and get up to Spirit while lonboardin is here. We could welcome the "king of crap" with a mini Spirit SES. Are you going to Aspen this year? I decided not to go so I can work on a winter project.

Dave, did you buy a new/used Nirvana?

re: spirit... when?

re: aspen... no. i started a new job and don't have time banked.