Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 2016/17

lonbordin

• 2 weeks later...

We went back to Paoli last night.  I couldn't stay away.  They blew snow Fri/Sat/Sun in less than favorable blowing conditions.

I was pleasantly surprised at the overall surface conditions... it was softer than I expected but not at all slushy. I was too soft for the black hot rod, so I swapped to the white hot rod.

I wasn't snow for large deep carves but it was a lot of fun.  No one around... really I think besides a couple of patrollers, my group of three and a couple of instructors there wasn't anyone else out on the hill.  The wide white Donek is perfect for these conditions.

There were issues... the reported snow base depth of 12"-16" is pure fantasy.  Many bare or muddy spots across the hill.  Most runs are quite narrow as well.  They should make it through today and then have 3 days of fairly low temps to blow snow.  There were a couple of snow potholes that could easily have broken equipment or ended one's season... you had to be very alert!!!  From the photo one might note the lack of rise of elevation from the ground on the left to the snow in the middle... it's so thin... freaking thin...

Apparently there's been a serious "negotiations" that have allowed PP to continue making snow this season and continue the season... I owe certain local folk a beer!  I don't want to discuss what I've heard publicly but I know it hasn't been easy.

20170131_181501_001.jpg

Went to PP last night.  

Difficult conditions to say the least.  I noticed they blew "snow" in the morning when looking at the web cams which I thought was odd as temps were ~29+ with very high humidify. I was right to think it was odd as it must have has a large portion in the liquid phase as the snow was hard.  Think FIS water injected ski course hard... now imagine that poorly groomed.  Yup, difficult. :freak3:

We found a few lines on a couple of runs and just looped those... later in the night they had a leak in the snow blowing system and snowmobiles were running back and forth to the pump house and the bully barn.  They were using the same basic path which made a pretty fun run as they had softened a fairly wide ribbon on one of the OK runs so we lapped that while watching for the headlights.

They got the guns running as we left, reporting 5" blow by this am. Looks like they will be able to blow through today, tonight and part of tomorrow.  Humidity will be down to <40% so they should be able to make some serious snow.

Of course, rain predicted Monday afternoon then Thunderstorms Tuesday... sigh...

Kid took a friend to Perfect today, couldn't go... had to work.  Kid got into IU... looks like I'm staying here for an extended period of time... never saw it* coming.

*living so long in Indiana.

Back today.  Hero snow! Two inches of it :freak3: on yellow ice. They blew 5" last night. There were so many people on the hill and so early.  The hero snow was soon moved to the sides of all the runs by the hordes of pizza skiers and sideslipping boarders.

So there were some sides of the runs that were fun to surf through the soft dry piled up snow.

Thunderstorms in the forecast for Monday... planning to be out early tomorrow.

Going to run the 185 REV tomorrow. Watch out human cones! Lonbordin's comin' thru!

Oh my... today was awesome.  Packed powder with a B+ groom.  I rode 3.5 hours straight on the 185 REV prototype...

Awesome.  :biggthump

The temps were rapidly rising and the softness was building in....

Downside was the Quad chair lift was down so a significant part of PP runs were closed. :mad:

:AR15firinRain and thunderstorms predicted to start Monday afternoon and last 3 days! :angryfire

Capture-pp.PNG

Edited by lonbordin
I know you guys like to see the juxtaposition of those green fields.

Back at PP tonight.  All the guns were firing. :AR15firin  No silly, Snow guns. :1luvu:

It's always a challenge to board under the guns.  Luckily I encouraged the Mtn. Ops to change the direction of several of the guns early on and left a sweet line open on Powerline so I lapped that all night.  It' is nice to go to a small hill sometimes!

Lotsa' cross-over, cross-under, cross through action on the old white hotrod with no plate.

Here's some early and late action.

early.png

late.png

8 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Luckily I encouraged the Mtn. Ops to change the direction of several of the guns early on and left a sweet line open on Powerline so I lapped that all night.  

buck runs snow guns under the tower but not usually during business hours. 1-2 years ago they had them running directly under the chair. people got snow frocked by the guns; goggles, jacket, etc. the real problem was that ice/frost formed under skis/boards which caused skis/boards to stick to the ramps. the top lifty wasn't paying attention to the pile of people who fell down trying to leave the chair. it was crazy. everyone riding the lift was falling down. they had to shut down the lift till they purged the water lines from the snow guns.

snow has a weird metallic taste.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bobble said:

buck runs snow guns under the tower but not usually during business hours. 1-2 years ago they had them running directly under the chair. people got snow frocked by the guns; goggles, jacket, etc. the real problem was that ice/frost formed under skis/boards which caused skis/boards to stick to the ramps. the top lifty wasn't paying attention to the pile of people who fell down trying to leave the chair. it was crazy. everyone riding the lift was falling down. they had to shut down the lift till they purged the water lines from the snow guns.

snow has a weird metallic taste.

Damn... Yeah Perfect North has a rule to not blow while open. Riding while PP blows keeps you on your toes, or more accurately, your weight on your rear foot while approaching unridden areas!  Every gun is a new surprise! :smashfrea

I am always amazed at the variation of snow conditions that occur under every fan gun on such a small hill.

Since our snow comes with heavy agriculture and farming run off I make every effort to keep it far away from my mouth.  I can't remember what it tastes like anymore... fertalized death, no doubt.

This morning Paoli turned off the snow guns... When I left Paoli tonight it was 58f. WTF.

Snow was fine. The superheated snow was slow and soft this evening.  I sucked.  My game was way off and no changes seemed to help.

Maybe I'm watching too much ATC footage?!

Heck I didn't even think to take a photo?!

I'm going to attempt to forget tonight and move forward.

Back out today. Most likely last night of the Paoli season for me. They are barely hanging on and the forecast is very warm (highs in the 70s). More importantly I'm going on my 25th anniversary trip with my spouse starting Saturday.

Looking forward to the Spirit trip in March.

Snow was very soft, very sticky in places, and quite shallow.

PNGiyLE.jpg

Last tracks...

Edited by lonbordin
Wurds r hard

• 2 weeks later...

So while the PP management insists on saying,"We are hopeful that cold air will return and that we will be able to reopen our slopes and tubing park." and really what else would one expect. Our season is done.  They closed Tues the 21st while I was on my vacation.

Here's what the hill looks like today-

PP-done.PNG

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2017 at 5:03 PM, lonbordin said:

Ski boots in SB bindings w/o highbacks.

Innovative.:ices_ange

i was up late at night. i assume you're the redditor that posted to that photo. i have a vague memory of seeing someone at my hill with hardboots in softbindings.

1 hour ago, bobble said:

i was up late at night. i assume you're the redditor that posted to that photo. i have a vague memory of seeing someone at my hill with hardboots in softbindings.

I did comment on that photo on Reddit but I did not post it.

Mahalo.