Note to New Members ×

Recs for new freeride board / TWS "Good Wood" '18

FTA2R

Can anyone personally speak to any of the all mountain boards? Or perhaps you can recommend something else?

https://snowboarding.transworld.net/gear-guide/2018-good-wood/#TK6mqQMzyL7z8yOU.97

I'm particularly curious about the Sims, perhaps just b/c of the retro factor, though it did make the list.

I ride primarily mid-atlantic / east coast hardpack, but want something that can also be used in the pow or maybe even on some small park features. 75% (or more) of my riding is simply on-piste trails, however.

Curious to hear thoughts.

Can't speak to the others ,but I demoed a bunch of arbors last spring; The iguchi pro camber surprised me with it's versatility and carving power. the 162 was short for me (200# 6' hardboots) usually ride 170+, but I hardly noticed.

the bump-out of the edge at the bindings is their version of magnatrac; if you ride w/ near zero angles I can see it a benefit on icy hardpack? to me it's gimmicky crap that makes it hard to tune, w/out that I'd buy one :biggthump

capable carver, nimble in the trees, easy and predictable switch; highly recommended for softies and/or duckfoot

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎04 at 4:42 PM, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I can't say, in regards to the T. Sims board, but last year's Blade was a great board! Only rode it one afternoon (while my O-sin was getting fixed), but it romped nicely! I believe it is made by Never-Summer to Sims specs.

I confirm Sims boards are made by Never Summer.

Currently riding the Yes Optimistic 154...and I love it!

its an ‘in-vogue’ shape, mid-wide châssis, wide nose, tapered tail, deep sidecut and quite stiff. Early rise nose, camber between the feet.

I demoed one last year and wanted one, but they pretty much sold out worldwide by November! I got one early this year, and it’s a great all rounder. When I demoed it, there was deep pow, it had amazing float (it was the 151 version, and i was 180lbs), and the pintail made it super manoverable. 

This season we’ve got artificial snow with a little natural, and it carved like my slalom board, only MUCH tighter! I haven’t tested it over anything but straight jumps without spinning, and it’s super stable. I’ve even ridden it switch successfully, though it doesn’t have much tail. 

If I had ever been given the chance to design a board, after my 30+ years of riding, this is pretty much what I’d have come up with. 

I’m on the 154, and it’s mounted with the awesome Gecko Stealth Plates, and Burton Diode bindings, I have it mounted  +21, -9, because I’m teaching on it too, so switch demos are easier. When freeriding for me, they’ll both face forward.

The only thing that I wasn’t a huge fan of, was the graphics, they’re just ok...so I hopped onto Ebay and got some adhesive ‘carbon fiber pattern’ adhesive covering (which protects it too), and you can barely tell that it didn’t come like that!

Definitely in my all-time top 5...and that’s saying something! 

599BF7B3-7A3E-45BF-82FF-7EF588622A3A.jpeg

Edited by Emdee406
Omission

• 3 weeks later...

It's not on that list (most boards aren't) but I'll recommend the Ride Berserker.  It's got a powder nose and a carving body.  I got it last month and I've only got 1 day on it, but my fisrt impression is WOW !  I'm riding hardboots at 45/20 and it carves great. The snow was very firm NE manmade with a few inches of overnight natural snow in top. The nose rode up and over any piles and the board carved aggressively. Great edge hold and a damped feel.

Like my Nitro Pantera 2018 for all mountain. Got it from a friend almost free.

Its the wide version at about 27 waist  and it's great carving and float pretty good. Pretty aggressive good board. 

yellowgentian.com/snowboard-reviews/all-mountain/nitro-pantera

But would like a Diamond blade a lot more  and a Blunt diamond for pow.

I got the GNU Mullair 159 this season.    Best softboot carver i hav ever ridden.  Even better than last years board:  the 159 wide Arbor A-frame.  Goodride.com has a detailed writeup on it.  I do not find it quick edge to edge though (c3 btx is not full camber by any means).  Its got a poor switch too (feels like a kids 135 board in that direction).  But it rules the hardpack.  And it absolutely kills the moguls w its big nose and setback (impact absorption) and little tail (sets itself into next bump line expertly).  I ride 21" at 21/9.  Hav not been in pow w her yet.  The GNU did the 3 but it was a weak spot for it.  But u can get a pic here at least :) 

IMG_20171221_134229707~2.jpg

IMG_20171229_133440990.jpg