Note to New Members ×

Zardoz: Should i get the wipes, the puck one, or the wax infused version.

Mr_Orange

Doing a trip to Squaw. Interested in trying zardoz on the spring slush. Heard it was good for that. There's the wipes, the puck, or the wax infused version.

Which one do people tend to use?

Last year i tried the base structuring which is the main thing people suggest. When i took it to the shop, the guy did the structuring but also unwaxed/dried out my base which was actually my previous solution to spring slush. According to him, the structuring alone wasn't going to work, so i just trusted him and rode it like that. 

I want to avoid riding a dried out base this year because i heard it messes up sintered bases. So though of trying the zardoz.

I heard graphite wax works too. Can you combine the graphite with zardoz?

Not sure what you are getting at with the comments about the base structuring. Structuring always removes all of your wax and opens the porosity of the base material.

Once you get your base grind done, then you typically need at least two good hotwaxes to re-infuse the material with wax, protect the base from base burn, and add performance to your board. You should do this right after the grind, before you go ride it again.

Zardoz is not a substitute for wax. We use it regularly in northern CA because of the warm slushy days. You need a good wax base, then apply the Zardoz as a top coat. Lasts 3-4 runs then a quick reapplication is needed. Works like a race wax topcoat.

I have never tried the wax infused with Zardoz, but the puck works better than the wipes.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

They guy who did the structuring grinded out the structure pattern for me and told me to not wax it afterwards. To just ride it dry. That's what i meant.

I haven't even tried riding the structured base with wax in spring slush yet.

Ya, i figured the zardoz was an in-addition type thing. I'll get the puck. 

Hey OJ,   ......I live and ride at Squaw, it's still deep and steep out here.........when ya coming?

There are plenty of slippery fluorinated wax options out there......I go with a structure and full wax as a Spring tune on my boards and then for these Spring conditions I rub on Dakine Oneball X wax right before the lift and then as it's needed,  typically 3 runs.    It's fast to apply and will make you Fast on the hill!! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=fluorinated+wax+snowboard&rlz=1C1SFXN_enUS541US541&oq=florinated+wax&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.13731j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I also like to use the super slippery Daron Rahlves high fluoro Signature Paste Wax by Wend....which I think is the fastest(MPH) rub on wax available, but doesn't last as long between applications.....so to get it to last longer and not lose any speed between applications I mix it 50/50 with the Dakine ...............Super Fast runs and a solid 4 runs between applications. 

Check out this video link (4th video down) of Daron demonstrating how to use his high fluoro Signature Paste Wax:  http://www.wendperformance.com/waxroom/

Also remember, Spring corn conditions are rough on your base as it's just ripping at the wax...... and repetitive flourinated wax use is really rough on your base....it just seems to suck the life right out of the P-tex.  I'm waxing weekly this time of year.

....... and when your season ends at least put your board away with a full wax job to keep it from drying out more and help the base return to a like new state. 

Edited by barryj

If you look at the blurb on the Zardoz bottle, it talks about being hardwearing, hydrophobic, hydrophilic etc. It's great stuff, but lots of money for a small amount.
So, a few seasons ago I tried something else. I happened to be in the car care aisle at Walmart looking for car polish... I picked up a huge black spray bottle of Meguiar's car polish and read the side... it talked about being hardwearing able to stand up to multiple car washes, hydrophobic, hydrophilic etc.
So I gave it a try, telling all my locker row at ski school about it. "I bet it won't last" said one doubter...Late that afternoon, he saw me riding up behind him on a long flat section, and shouted "How's it going?"
There was no need to reply as I sped past him...

g17516-meguiar-s-450-original-imae3r9pphj2zafy.jpeg

Going to squaw early june and possibly even again later. My brother ski's there. Read something about them opening all summer the other day. Is that really going down? How much of the mountain is open this late in the season?

Interesting how that zardoz site tutorial recommends non-flourinated wax in contrast to the other high fluorinated recommendations i've read about for spring. Might have to test out a few different cocktails on different boards.

..and ya, always been doing the summer wax storage.

I was only out on a couple of warm days this year, but I tried just going with the inexpensive paraffin storage wax that was left on my slush board (I think BlueB suggested this) and it seemed to work well. It's really soft stuff, much like typical warm weather ski wax. "Gulf" paraffin (canning) wax about $5 for 1 lb.

Edited by bigwavedave

With Zardoz, I buy the Puck, then buy the Refill kit, which, while still a 'small' amount of fluid, is plenty for my neck of the woods, and, the refill kit gives you fresh pads for the puck.  One thing I really like is that in riding spring-time woods (usually on a 'beater', but, at times on my O-sin or a Tanker) is that softwood needles and hardwood sap usually don't stick, and, unlike Martin's neat Wax suggestion, the puck fits in a fleece pocket nicely. 

BTW, Martin, Turtle wax is a bit cheaper! During my AASI Lvl 2, I was at Ski Windham (just a bit south of Albany,NY), and in the last two days, it was in the upper 70's. We soaped boards with soft-scrub, leaving lil' bubbles as we went! Do what ya have to!  ;-)

Hey OJ,

The whole Mtn. is still open top to bottom!  I wouldn't even say we have hit real Spring conditions except right at the village lifts - slushy by 10am but no bare spots!

I'm don't see anything special about Zardoz....

1- you don't get much of the liquid "drops" for the money                                                                                                                                                   2- it's adds another step to deal with for application                                                                                                                                                         3- the liquid dispenser is another item you have to keep up with..... in the puck                                                                                                                 4- it's slippery but it wears off  after 1-2 runs from my experience 

On 4/27/2017 at 10:48 PM, barryj said:

Also remember, Spring corn conditions are rough on your base as it's just ripping at the wax...... and repetitive flourinated wax use is really rough on your base....it just seems to suck the life right out of the P-tex.  I'm waxing weekly this time of year.

Yeah,  I wax every other day, all winter. Your point is ?!  

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, BobD said:

Which reminds me of Zardoz the movie

http-%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FZardoz-2.jpg

Though part of me really likes the irreverence of your post Bob, I cannot give you a like since I had finally forgotten about, and no longer had that image seered on my retinas from the bait I took from Nate back in 2015

I curse you for dredging that up 

What was Connery thinking?  I hope it wasn't " I make this look good ", 'cause this is bad even by 70's standards

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1