Note to New Members ×

Alternative to Palau 141 liners for Deeluxe?

Freezer

I'm totally with you erazz.  Except:

1. Knowing the angle makes it easier to start from scratch if you have to.  i.e changing from UPZ boots on toe-clip F2 bindings to Deeluxe boots on step-in Bomber bindings.  If you knew all the angles, you could start with a very good guess.

2. Some people just like numbers.  They may be dying inside not knowing what angle their foot is at, or how hot their toast is.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

I'm totally with you erazz.  Except:

1. Knowing the angle makes it easier to start from scratch if you have to.  i.e changing from UPZ boots on toe-clip F2 bindings to Deeluxe boots on step-in Bomber bindings.  If you knew all the angles, you could start with a very good guess.

2. ....

Knowing the angles, and integrating that with a knowledge of body & joint motion geometry, and riding style, will help to make the direction of the small incremental adjustments rational, rather than random.

Knowing the angles helps experienced riders give useful advice to people just starting out, because the number of variables in binding setup makes the range of possibilities enormous, and frustrating, and uncomfortable, unless you have a reasonable idea of where to start.

(This is a long way from replacing Palau liners :) )

Edited by SunSurfer
add detail

34 minutes ago, Freezer said:

As a former Air Force pilot, this conversation reminds me of a salient quote pertaining to air combat:  "Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass".

When equipment and rider/pilot become one, then instinctive boarding/flying becomes possible. And yes, it will be "kick ass"! 

When equipment is not set up properly and foundation skills are not mastered, this gets in the way of the instinctive, instant response riding most of us crave. 

Both sides of the coin are necessary, precision and feel, black & white, yin and yang.......

Edited by SunSurfer
to complete the thought

I don't think that it's necessary to worry to such a degree. There are many riders that don't own/use any measuring equipment other than a tape measure to set their stance width that still rip. 

I'd suggest that it sometimes helps, sometimes hurts. As long as the primary goals are riding and accommodating your body, then it can be healthy. Once you start to focus more on the angles than the riding, then it's a distraction. 

I fear that some newbies are scared away from hardbooting because of an implied need to measure and track everything. I've seen a couple of instances in the demo tent in Aspen. Excited eyes gloss over as someone is rambling on about cant angles or whatever.

It certainly can work for some under the watchful eye of an expert, or you can just start with a basic setup and adjust a little this way, a little that way until it's pretty good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-12 at 4:30 AM, corey_dyck said:

I don't think that it's necessary to worry to such a degree.

People definitely overthink this stuff.  I had no choice on angles with my old Burton Elite (45f/0r), or my Gnu Raceroom (45/45) and when I've had the choice I've set it up according to board width, so I've ridden everything from 35/30 to 55/50 on hardboots.  Used to have some cant, now I have some lift.  It makes some difference but not nearly so much as people make out.  Set it/forget it, grip it/rip it.

• Like 1