Note to New Members ×

Pogo Custom 270 "Vera"

wesleywarren

No, because that's an FJ80 Land-Cruiser; It won't go quite fast enough to generate lift!

But, it'll kick your butt in any off-road exploration! I'm a fan of FJ's (well, the older ones!). But, then, my Dad drove International Pickups, Travel-all's, and Scouts, so...No Hummer Lovin' here!

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
  • Like 1

So, Wes, you started to feel what I got into with the old '88-'89 Safari Long-Comp [205 cm,Burton raceboard] I managed to wrangle away from the Coghlan's in '92. See, Paul Wren had already figured some nifty stuff out by then, including using subtle base beveling, quadratic sidecut [think of a clothes-line, but weighted such that the bigger weights are at the middle, with progressively smaller weights going outwards], dual-cambered sections, and a much softer nose than tail.. It would easily 'dance' in soft snow with much shorter boards, and it was docile, but a chore to maneuver at pedestrian speeds. Once up to optimum, around 35+, it came into it's own, and carved effortlessly (recall, please, the solid, three-strap binders of the era!) until about 50 mph... then, an odd 'floating' started at any flat-between-turns, as the bendable nose would 'suck air' under it and Lift, often fluttering for a bit (this is why 'Link' modded Sims 190's and 210's had an odd cut-out triangle within the nose, to let Air Thru! Steve Link was a Genius in Longboards; note SUMMIT, FARMER, Longboards). So, at 50 or above, between turns, you'd get 'lift', and if only moderately arc-ed upon, the 'lift' would "hold" through part of the turn.  I once jumped on Okemo's 'Exhibition' trail just after the Headwall (back when it still had a cliff-face to it), but into a slight headwind. The result was low-level flight. I cleared from tower 18 to tower 17  about 2-3 feet above the snow, but couldn't put her down! I was doing speed of the mid-40's or so.That was the longest jump I ever did, some 600 yards, but, really LOW to the snow! I also ran 'around' through "Arrow" from top to bottom in less than two minutes (on a powder day!) to the Sugar-shack near the base, racing a Skier who ran straight down Nor-Easter on Atomic 210's. I beat him, soundly (I was OUT OF my 6-buckle Softies when he got there!). That was a mile-a-minute average run, btw.:ices_ange

So, really LONG boards will do some neat, though unexpected, things over, in, and on snow! Just don't go UNDER the snow!!:freak3:

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
  • Like 1

Yup, that's 'sub-surface' lift, only available on a very select group of longboard snowboards! Glad you got it, and I hope it doesn't do anything too weird to you in the event!

I've had other riders doubt my recollections, and observations, but, I am not making-up what I've observed and felt, let alone 'rode-out'!! Longboards, run at their limits, are something else! They will delight you. But stay within YOUR limits when doing what the board wishes to do!  

It's kinda like riding a Horse through a low hanging Orchard; You can ride as fast as you can duck, given that the Horse doesn't Buck mid-stride!

• Like 1

I only ride her during the week when there's only a few hundred people at my local resort.. On a busy day I walk threw the line with her until I'm in the loading area.  Super practical if your trying to get a true longboard surf feel. I go super loose  on my hardboots about 60% it's all about letting her do the work for you once you reach 35mph+?

IMG_1497.JPG

4 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Yup, that's 'sub-surface' lift, only available on a very select group of longboard snowboards! Glad you got it, and I hope it doesn't do anything too weird to you in the event!

I've had other riders doubt my recollections, and observations, but, I am not making-up what I've observed and felt, let alone 'rode-out'!! Longboards, run at their limits, are something else! They will delight you. But stay within YOUR limits when doing what the board wishes to do!  

It's kinda like riding a Horse through a low hanging Orchard; You can ride as fast as you can duck, given that the Horse doesn't Buck mid-stride!

High Ho Silver away.?

6 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

So, Wes, you started to feel what I got into with the old '88-'89 Safari Long-Comp [205 cm,Burton raceboard] I managed to wrangle away from the Coghlan's in '92. See, Paul Wren had already figured some nifty stuff out by then, including using subtle base beveling, quadratic sidecut [think of a clothes-line, but weighted such that the bigger weights are at the middle, with progressively smaller weights going outwards], dual-cambered sections, and a much softer nose than tail.. It would easily 'dance' in soft snow with much shorter boards, and it was docile, but a chore to maneuver at pedestrian speeds. Once up to optimum, around 35+, it came into it's own, and carved effortlessly (recall, please, the solid, three-strap binders of the era!) until about 50 mph... then, an odd 'floating' started at any flat-between-turns, as the bendable nose would 'suck air' under it and Lift, often fluttering for a bit (this is why 'Link' modded Sims 190's and 210's had an odd cut-out triangle within the nose, to let Air Thru! Steve Link was a Genius in Longboards; note SUMMIT, FARMER, Longboards). So, at 50 or above, between turns, you'd get 'lift', and if only moderately arc-ed upon, the 'lift' would "hold" through part of the turn.  I once jumped on Okemo's 'Exhibition' trail just after the Headwall (back when it still had a cliff-face to it), but into a slight headwind. The result was low-level flight. I cleared from tower 18 to tower 17  about 2-3 feet above the snow, but couldn't put her down! I was doing speed of the mid-40's or so.That was the longest jump I ever did, some 600 yards, but, really LOW to the snow! I also ran 'around' through "Arrow" from top to bottom in less than two minutes (on a powder day!) to the Sugar-shack near the base, racing a Skier who ran straight down Nor-Easter on Atomic 210's. I beat him, soundly (I was OUT OF my 6-buckle Softies when he got there!). That was a mile-a-minute average run, btw.:ices_ange

So, really LONG boards will do some neat, though unexpected, things over, in, and on snow! Just don't go UNDER the snow!!:freak3:

Eric. Great info.. After the first time she started to float on me I had to sit down for a while drink a few beers and mentally try to figure what was going on.. The long jump did pop into my head.. It's a wing.. Looking forward to my next headwind.. Super stoked on this new trench surfing style. At least new to me.?

IMG_1312.JPG

• Like 2