Note to New Members ×

Only UPZ down fall... so far

Bobby Buggs

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, Bobby Buggs said:

Where are you riding these days Jonny

Riding? I wish - two days in the last three years! I'm teaching/directing in Sarasota and hardly get home enough as it is so I can't really go far afield. Couple of days at Bousquet this year and that's it. Still on that Coiler 180 with a plate and it still works so the Proteus will just wait until I can get on the hill more. I do get to windsurf Sarasota Bay pretty often though, so at least I can make some kind of turn...

Those UPZ buckles are monstrosities given how much those boots flex. At my current weight the Boosterstrap option is the only cure. I sold mine almost right away and went back to 700s with heavy BTS which are fine.

For my part, the problem of the loops that touches itself has settled rather quickly ... The famous loops that collide me caused me 2 problems: 1- they prevented a good flexion of the bottom of the boot and 2- a premature wear of This one .... I simply removed the 2nd top to replace it with a ratchet of soft boot. I also cut the bottom part of the upper part of the ankle of the boot somewhat because it was under pressure and prevented a free bending of the top of the boot. Here is the problem is resolved. 

My spring system l made help very well???

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Edited by Québec man
  • Like 1

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 1:13 PM, corey_dyck said:

I'll throw a boot in a binding, measure the cuff angle with a digital level, do this change, and measure it again. 

The answer is: A bit under 3 degrees. 

For reference, the difference of the forward lean positions is a bit under 6 degrees. 

/nerd

• Like 1

This pair of 2016 RC10s have 26 days riding on them. After 8 days I resorted to some serious modification to minimise heel lift in my rear (Right) boot. Then I rode them for 18 days before and during ATC in Jan-Feb 2017. Rear foot heel lift no longer a problem. Nor does the lower cuff buckle crunch the heel buckle any more.

If you're inclined, play spot the differences, both from each other, and from the original RC10s!

The first photo is in walk mode only to show the spring system.

UPZ mod rear.JPG

UPZ mod medial.JPG

UPZ mod lateral.JPG

UPZ mod front.JPG

Edited by SunSurfer
Add detail

I went from deep gouges to barely scraping off the felt pen I drew on the already-gouged aluminum.  So, moving the cuff up helped a bit but did not completely resolve the issue for me. 

I'll ride until it breaks, if it does, and then go for something like Québec man did. 

Replaced the lower cuff buckle with the new wire type cause thats all they had and it solved my issue. Saved me from replacing 2 buckles. Heel lift has not been an issue in either of the Rcs I have owned. I do get some medial ankle bang on my front foot but I wear a little gel pad and its fine.

3 hours ago, Bobby Buggs said:

Sun, I notice you have the lower spring cranked tighter on the left boot, why ?

The lower nut controls forward flex on the UPZ. For my riding style I want my front boot to have minimal forward flex. This allows me to more precisely control pressure on the front part of the edge, critical to turn initiation. I want my rear boot to have lots of forward flex so I can bend that knee to get my centre of mass lower as I turn. To easily adjust that nut I had to file down a small spanner so it would fit into the space.

The key phrase is "my riding style...".

I ride with my body facing the nose of the board for both heelside and toeside, weighting the edges out of the sides of my boots. With that stance, as I lower my centre of mass, the angle of my front lower leg needs to change much less than the back lower leg. Don't have any video of me in my UPZs, but the Heads in video above at SES 2015 were set up the same way.

58c7962d44b9b_Ruthiescrop03a.thumb.jpg.e125616f0154c06199f593444f4e1afc.jpg

aP2080489.thumb.jpg.5315cd89f16158c3b65d51c9c6da65aa.jpg

These two photos were shot on Ruthies at ATC 2017 (Nirvana Energy 174, 0.4mm Titanal). They show the front and rear view of my heelside stance, whereas many riders face their body across the board for their heelside turns.

Despite the soft flex in the rear boot I still stress the hell out of my heel of my rear binding, see the following thread link to see just how much. I'd modified the Heads to change the angle of the ankle buckle, just as I've done with the UPZs. Despite being able to generate enough rear foot heel upward force to tear a TD3 Intec apart, I don't get heel lift inside the boot!

58a807c68653d_TD3metalfatiguefracture01.thumb.jpg.0f056bdac9ac10e5deeca6699ae3a2e1.jpg

58a807cd6cdfb_TD3metalfatiguefracture02.thumb.jpg.1585f7abbdf79c9f7a599b1a9c450cf1.jpg

Edited by SunSurfer
the obsessive bit of me!