Note to New Members ×

Only UPZ down fall... so far

Bobby Buggs

I have been very please with the UPZ experience over all. There is one issue I have and it my not be happening to everyone. I ride a bunch in walk mode and flex the crap outta my rear boot causing 2 buckles to meet in a violent fashion with this as a result. I ordered the wire new style buckle but they only had the cuff one in stock. Anyone else running into this?

IMG_20170305_144206210.jpg

Edited by Bobby Buggs

My rear boot looks exactly the same, even though I ride with the rear boot locked one click ahead (dorsiflexion) of it's neutral position.  I was just thinking about ordering those two buckles in the wire style this weekend, but I'll hold for now.  My front boot is fine. 

I can't find it but there's a post with a nice picture... anyways have you raised your cuff to be as high* as possible using the canting screws?

By high I mean to make the boot as tall as possible thereby increasing the distance between the buckles...

3 hours ago, Bobby Buggs said:

I hate changing anything on the geometry of the boot once I get dialed into my boards so Im more apt to change the buckle first. If you can find that post please put the link here for others

Whew... found it starting here (see below).  I too did as @DRUPI suggested and it made a noticeable separation.

Edit- Since the referenced post is no longer with us.  The suggestion was to move both cant disks so that the cuff is in the tallest position (closest to the knee) which will reduce or eliminate the buckle clashing.

Edited by lonbordin

Nice.  I'll try that!  

You'll probably have to play with the nuts on the spring top/bottom to keep the same forward lean.  I'll throw a boot in a binding, measure the cuff angle with a digital level, do this change, and measure it again.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, corey_dyck said:

Nice.  I'll try that!  

You'll probably have to play with the nuts on the spring top/bottom to keep the same forward lean.  I'll throw a boot in a binding, measure the cuff angle with a digital level, do this change, and measure it again.  

Nerd.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I have the stiffer gray tongues and the newer wire style "flex bar" buckles and I don't have this issue.  Although I don't ride in walk mode.  I also tightened the spring on the back of the cuff.

Yer just a beast, thats all there is to it:eplus2:

This is pretty typical of the older style buckles. On my rear boot the buckles were crashing so bad that they were actually bending in addtion to the wear and tear that is pretty typical. Not a problem with the new buckles from what I can tell.

23 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

My buckles are destroying themselves, and I don't ride in walk mode.  

Ditto that. I don't ride in walk mode, and positively *destroyed* the buckles on my old UPZ. I believe this is a bigger problem with smaller sizes as buckles are closer together. Also subject to how you have your cuff cants set up etc ... not a problem so far on my new UPZ which are larger and have the new wire style buckles.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Buggs said:

Im in 27s and have no clue on the cant options, mine are box stock.

From your photo (important crop below) and memory of UPZ stock setup. The cants are set mid way on both sides, so essentially no cant and in middle raised position. So you could move both to point down and raise your cuff to the highest level and have the same cant but more room for your buckles.

:biggthump

BB-stock.PNG