Note to New Members ×

The better/best carving trails in UT?

icebiker

Would have posted this in the UT forum but it doesn't appear to get much traffic.  Update on my prior thread regarding my father/son trip to UT this March, we've decided to stay in Murray UT, rent a car, and hit up several resorts over several days.  As we prepare, would appreciate your tips/suggestions on the better carving trails at Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Park City/Canyons and Snowbasin.  Ideally moderately pitched blues that are regularly groomed.  Thanks!

I have not been skiing in Utah for a few years but my favorite in that area for carving was solitude because they always have some steep groomed runs and it isn't too busy. Brighton is probably the busiest, full with jibbers and kids skiing above their level/out of control. (I have been hit twice at brightin)  Snowbird is great but I usually ride more all mountain there - not where I would go looking for blues.  The cottonwood canyons are higher and always have the better snow than parkcity/deer valley/canyons which is important late season. Last snowbasin and powder mountain are also great and worth a try. 

I'll be there in a week or two. I haven't ridden there for a while but I like Snowbird, although probably not based on what you say.
Brighton is good if you like easy motorway ("carving slopes"). I like Powder Mountain, but again it's probably more off-piste than motorway, although it's not hugely sttep from what I remember.

Yeah, not saying snowbird wasn't fun or you cant find some carving trails there, but just be prepared to traverse a good amount to get around. I am also not as comfortable as many on steeper terrain especially when I went now 2 seasons ago, and that also probably added to my overall dislike of it. I soon switched to softies and played around off the groomers on the back side and had fun.

True powder mountain is a lot of fun off the groomers, and very green otherwise, but there are some nice trails off of the hidden lake lift.

• Like 1

Hello,

Brighton    Snake Creek and Great Western lifts. also Millicent has some fun runs

pretty easy to find you way around. Don't go there on a weekend It can be busy. Great grooming

Solitude  Eagle lift and Apex lift Sunshine bowl, Main Street, top notch grooming

Also real easy to find our way around

Snowbird. Awesome views, grooming usually poor,but if it's a nice sunny day it worth checking out.  Baldy express early.Lots of fast skiers, so you have to watch. Powder days there can be a powderpanic 

Park City

Large. Haven't been there in a while. Epic pass, lots of people every day. But it's still a great resort, just lots of beaters.

Snowbasin

Great resort.  Gondolas are great can be hard to see if flat light. If either of the downhill courses are groomed you have to do them. Again it's pretty busy on weekends/ powder days. Great grooming.

Powder Mt.

Never been:( There are a couple carvers up there. It's always gotten good reports

they have some side country cat/ shuttle bus action that is great powder runs.

If we get a big dump, canyon closure can happen, so you have to plan ahead,go early.

If it's snowing, be happy to loan you a couple powder boards if need be.

Let it snow!

There is GT also 4? Hours away. If your up for a change up for a couple days. It can be amazing if the weather is clear.

Edited by digger jr
GT
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, digger jr said:

You bet,

let us know when your close. Should be a few of us at Solitude at that time,so hopefully there will be some good groomers to mess up.

Will do!  We're going to try and hit a different resort each day if possible. Where will depend on conditions.  Solitude is definitely on the list.  My son, his friend and his friend's Dad are two-plankers, and will likely be seeking trees and diamonds...while I will be seeking wide open spaces....would be great to have some company!  I've managed to meet a BOL'er on each of my prior trips out west, hope this trip continues the tradition.

On 2/21/2017 at 6:08 AM, philw said:

I'll be there in a week or two. I haven't ridden there for a while but I like Snowbird, although probably not based on what you say.
Brighton is good if you like easy motorway ("carving slopes"). I like Powder Mountain, but again it's probably more off-piste than motorway, although it's not hugely sttep from what I remember.

Let me know when you're out Phil, I live in PC! Would be great to make a few turns with another carving Brit!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 6:36 PM, icebiker said:

Would have posted this in the UT forum but it doesn't appear to get much traffic.  Update on my prior thread regarding my father/son trip to UT this March, we've decided to stay in Murray UT, rent a car, and hit up several resorts over several days.  As we prepare, would appreciate your tips/suggestions on the better carving trails at Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Park City/Canyons and Snowbasin.  Ideally moderately pitched blues that are regularly groomed.  Thanks!

I'm à Park City carver (when I'm not teaching or working for Delta), we have some great carving terrain but you have to get out early before the crowds come out. 

Let me know when you're around and I'll do my best to be around if you plan on hitting Park City. 

• Like 3

And, I'll add this; Martin is on my personal 'faves' list of carving instructors and well within the 'top ten' list!  

Having taught for as long as I have, consider this: I have never heard of an injury or complaint from one of his lessons!! [Almost as good as C. Nelson in safety! ] I say this as an Instructor with an injury rate of over 30 years of 22-injuries-to-first-aid-ever... 

Martin is near the very top of MY list of safe-to-go-to people, and he can get your carving dialed in!

So, by all means, look him up!! You will come away a better rider, and with a smile on your face!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

I'm à Park City carver (when I'm not teaching or working for Delta), we have some great carving terrain but you have to get out early before the crowds come out. 

Let me know when you're around and I'll do my best to be around if you plan on hitting Park City. 

Sounds great!! Will do once we know our plans.  Park city looks great and since we'll be there midweek hoping it won't be too much of a zoo ;-)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

And, I'll add this; Martin is on my personal 'faves' list of carving instructors and well within the 'top ten' list!  

Having taught for as long as I have, consider this: I have never heard of an injury or complaint from one of his lessons!! [Almost as good as C. Nelson in safety! ] I say this as an Instructor with an injury rate of over 30 years of 22-injuries-to-first-aid-ever... 

Martin is near the very top of MY list of safe-to-go-to people, and he can get your carving dialed in!

So, by all means, look him up!! You will come away a better rider, and with a smile on your face!

Thanks for the tip.  I could definitely use some instruction.  I watched the rub-in vids from ATC and aspire to ride as well as those guys and gals!  If my posse is off in the trees that'll give me a window. 

• Like 1

Lots of variety at Powder Mountain, including a number of mellow groomers off Hidden Lake Express.  There is a vast amount of cat-served or hike-to and road shuttle-served side-country, some of it pretty steep but most looks more moderate.  Lots of lift-served gladed area too.  Bring the whole quiver.  Cover was good in early February (spent a day there enroute to ATC) and the grooming was mostly terrific.  So was the chili.  Off-piste was a little stale but still had numerous patches of barely-touched powder.

Next day we hit Snowbasin, also a really big resort.  I skied there (distributing the wear and tear) and thought it a little less polished than Powder, but still a great place to ride.  I boarded there a couple of years ago, ill and in a near whiteout, and still had a good day of mostly AM riding with some nice carving breaks.  The downhill course starts are up at the top of the Allen Peak tram, and if groomed would afford you a great steep run for carving.  I don't know how often it gets groomed, but it had moderate fluffy bumps for us to frolic in.  There had been a lot of small slides off the ridges, so many of the accessible bowls were pretty chunky and re-frozen.  The lodges are quite splendid, as you'd expect of a Sun Valley resort.  The terrain is generally more jagged peaks than Powder - more along the lines of Snowbird - and the views from some lodges are pretty striking.

I have enjoyed every day that I have spent in UT, at every resort.  That said, I recommend Powder Mountain.  It is spacious, has some of everything, is never crowded and the vibe is amongst the most low-key of any.  good walk up to the window lift ticket price, as wel.l maybe $80 +/-, something like that.

Edited by davekempmeister

• 2 weeks later...