Note to New Members ×

The better/best carving trails in UT?

icebiker

Conditions in Snowbird are "spring". There's plenty of snow, but the temperatures are warm so it's a question of when things come "Into condition" through the day.

I have some mates here with "7 summits" access so I've been using the non-public early trams and getting a few laps in before the resort opens. That's pretty neat, with the huge motorway pistes and no threat from other people. The good news is that in Mineral at least some of those runs work from first thing; it's not getting that cold overnight. Others take time to warm up. Later on the front side comes into condition. By 13:00 or so it's getting pretty glurpy generally, and really hot; time to go and do something else for me.

Stuff I learned:

• if you're riding empty huge wide none-technical slopes like this when they're crunchy, then it's trivial to ride faster than the board's designed for. Those are conditions I don't normally encounter, but I can see why some of those huge American boards exist, if this is what you ride. If I had a current GS board I'd take it out for these early morning runs here.

• Once the snow softens up a bit that's less of an issue: in soft snow my slalom board tracks reasonably even with huge arcs. Once people arrive, those speeds don't seem safe to me so the problem goes away.
  • Like 1

Thanks again for all the tips folks. Despite the warm temps we had a great time. We slept in most mornings, opting to wait for the snow to soften up by 11. Broke out the carving board for the first few hours then switched to the twin tip board when things got really soft.  Did Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird and Powder Mtn.  Got to ride with Ron and Gloria at Solitude, Had blast on the twin tip in Mineral Basin (pic below) and was stoked to find this collection of classics at Brighton. Not shown is an Avalanche 175 with plates that Damian Sanders used to ride in his pink Koflachs.

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

• Like 2