Note to New Members ×

Our narcissistic sport

1xsculler

On 2/17/2017 at 1:00 AM, st_lupo said:

There is only one person in all of BOL who I identify as a narcissist:  lordmetroland :eplus2:.  Don't be like him.

Though I have no idea what you're talking about, here is a picture of me practicing my carving form in the gym. I defy you to tear your eyes away from the glory.

2011-06-22-arodkiss.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, erazz said:

Narcissisic my @$$.

Just had to do some evasive maneuvers to avoid a dude who was LAYING DOWN ACROSS A CAT TRACK WITH A SELFIE STICK.   

We have a lot to learn before we can call ourselves narcissistic in this day and age.

Calling that idiot narcissistic is rather generous, I think you need to have at least smattering of self awareness to be narcisstic. That obliviot was utterly lacking that, as well as any situational awareness. Sorry I missed him, I would have loved to have pasted him, and broken out the metaphorical rake on his lame gnarness

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2017 at 0:24 PM, queequeg said:

Its all good :)

Showing off is fun! Showcasing the sport for the liftline is great for the sport! Being humbled by other showoffs is great, because it gives you new goals to reach for! Rah-Rah-Rah-ing your buddies from the liftline is great! Even better to see someone showing off new skills and getting better each and every year—I was amazed at the style and progress that @pow4ever was showing off at ATC this year!

Nothing wrong with a little showing off! But yes, I do think we all tend to do our best and most joyful riding when nobody else is watching :)

"If you are getting rad and no one is around to see it…are you really getting rad?" -Andy Hays

Thanks @queequeg!!  High praise coming from one of top dog :biggthump
It's finally clicking after all these years....
Still remember Okemo(where we first meet) like it was yesterday.

I usually hate camera and under chair lift but slowly i am getting over it as carve is about lose oneself in that moment where nothing else matter.

On the topic of style:   This "conversation" with Fin really stick with me.  I "stole" from pretty much everyone i rode with...  @Gabe T have a huge impact

Edited by pow4ever
typo
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, corey_dyck said:

I like seeing video and pictures of me carving.  Almost as much as I like seeing video and pictures of others carving!  To improve, you need to be very self-critical.  The easiest way to do that is through pictures and video.  Some have enough body awareness to know how what they're doing differs from the 'ideal', but not very many. 

I like it when people cheer me on, and I like cheering others on.  First tracks at ATC is epic for this! 

I discovered that video can be a very effective tool for developing a better understanding of one's motions while trying to improve my tennis serve thirty-something years ago.  I quickly realized that my serve looked nothing like John McEnroe's.

So, I need an interpretation. Is this narcissistic... or is it GNARcissistic?

Carve 6 - Bomber.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SkoonyMcGroomer said:

So, I need an interpretation. Is this narcissistic... or is it GNARcissistic?

GNARcissistic? It's a Donek for sure... probably a Proteus... haven't heard of a GNARcissistic... but I'm not keeping up with all of Sean's new offerings.

4 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

GNARcissistic? It's a Donek for sure... probably a Proteus... haven't heard of a GNARcissistic... but I'm not keeping up with all of Sean's new offerings.

Watch out, you're getting close to my early-ish days, when, once upon-a-Raceroom, it was GnuTastic... And, that would be Kinetically Kaotic, in which we'd have to deal with Antigravitational Veritigo, and end up being just Dough-Boys ... Olsen may not approve, nor Martin, for that matter. We'll leave that judgement to an Exxon Captain, shall we?

• Like 1