Note to New Members ×

Board Top Sheet Repair Question

MNSurfer

Got this little ding, the other day. Is there a proper way to go about repairing, or at least minimizing the chance of further damage? Or should a guy even worry about it? My initial thought was to fill it with PTex, but not sure if that's the right way to go. Would a ski shop be able to help, at all?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

WP_20170130_06_07_56_Pro.jpg

West system makes a 5 min/two part/easy one to one mix epoxy that is pretty strong and comes in a small package. Hardware store epoxies are not as good generally. For a simple repair I would use some kind of "filler/thickener" mixed in, like cabosil to give it some structure. Rough up the surface as best you can for a good bond and get some epoxy under those loose edges. Use plastic to keep clamp from sticking to the repair. Then file and sand smooth after cure and then put a stomp pad over it.

You should definitely seal it somehow, so that moisture doesn't get in there and start delamination.

...Or you can send it to Donek or Coiler if they built it and have it done right!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bobby Buggs said:

If thats the side of the board you skate on with your back foot then its the Intec pins that are causing the damage

It definitely seems like that's the case. I noticed a few other nicks, and they all have the same pattern. Oops. I was going to blame the skier that ran into me, the other day. Shoot!

Thanks for all the input. I like the epoxy route. In lieu of Carbosil, could you use (chopped-up) fiberglass?

And lastly, would it make sense to take it to a ski shop? Or will they just be doing the same thing?

Thanks again!!!

15 minutes ago, MNSurfer said:

Thanks for all the input. I like the epoxy route. In lieu of Carbosil, could you use (chopped-up) fiberglass?

And lastly, would it make sense to take it to a ski shop? Or will they just be doing the same thing

I think fiberglass chopped up very fine would work.

Hoigards did a nice repair of deep base damage next the edge on my Kessler.  They did a very good job that held up for years. Pretty sure they had to use epoxy to glue in a patch. I would imagine they could do a similar repair to a topsheet.

+1 on Hoigaard's! I haven't heard that name in 20 years. Brings back good memories of pulling up to their store with my parents to get outfitted with ski gear seeing the signage that did not inspire confidence.

AWNINGS! CUSTOM AWNINGS! WE KNOW AWNINGS! GET YOUR AWNINGS!

(Ski gear toward the back)

Gflex looks like it comes in small packages too, and prethickened.

A skier slammed into me at the bottom of the hill as I was coming to a  stop at the end of the lift line. Rode up the back of my brand new Rev! and peeled away part of the edge and bottom.

Repair and two years later still holding. I had to cut away 1 inch of the edge as I couldn't persuade it to return to original shape (it's not on the snow anyway):

P1080237 (550x309).jpgP1080240 (550x309).jpgimage1 (500x375).jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

I repaired some more extensive top sheet damage with a quality slow cure epoxy and then covered the repair with a vinyl sticker material that has a fake carbon fiber texture.  The repair has held up great for a couple of years, but I do have to say that this board has only had a couple of days use in that time and hasn't seen any extreme cold.  The sticker also helps protect the epoxy from impacts.  I would avoid any fast cure epoxies as they generally are not as durable or water resistant as a slow (24 hour) cure.  There are some photos at the beginning and end of this thread:

54 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

A skier slammed into me at the bottom of the hill as I was coming to a  stop at the end of the lift line. Rode up the back of my brand new Rev! and peeled away part of the edge and bottom.

Repair and two years later still holding. I had to cut away 1 inch of the edge as I could convince it to return to original shape (it's not on the snow anyway):

P1080237 (550x309).jpg

That first picture made me sad...  :(  How did his face look after the second 'accidental' impact with your fist?  ;)  I kid, but that would unleash some inner rage in me.