Note to New Members ×

Guidance for next father/son trip out west

icebiker

My 19 year old son and I have been skiing (him) and boarding (me) together since he was 5. We decided a few years ago to treat ourselves once a year to a trip away from the ice coast.  We've hit Colorado and Montana in the past two years and are now mulling UT, WY, or ID.  Our window is week of March 13th 2017.  I'd appreciate input from some locals. Our criteria would be:

1) Good snow cover/low temps this time of year.

2) Black glade/woods trails for him

3) Blue cruisers for me

4) Bowls for both of us (like backside of Vail)

5) A town for nightlife/restaurants

6) Convenient to airport with flights from NY and Pittsburgh

He is leaning towards Snowbird/Brighton/Solitude based on the altitude and historical likelihood of decent snowcover that time of year (#1).  However, I'm pretty sure none of them meet #5.  We thought of Park City/Canyons...but not sure about #1 in that case.    Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by icebiker

Have you considered Banff? There are direct flights NYC to Calgary, then it is about 2 hours by car/shuttle to Banff from the airport. Usually no problem mid-March for snow (peak season actually), plenty of nightlife in Banff, all you can handle at Sunshine/Louise for riding.   Plus our dollar makes it cheap. 

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

On 12/24/2016 at 11:59 PM, drschwartz said:

Or if you want to go west, go way west. Mt. Bachelor in Oregon meets ALL your conditions except ease of access. You fly to Portland, then a bit of a drive, like Banff. Bend is a great town, and the mountain has everything you could want in terms of terrain. Plus gobs and gobs of snow.

Actually, there is an airport in Redmond, a 20 minute drive from Bend.  If you flew into Denver or Salt Lake there are direct flights.  You could actually land in Redmond and be at the mountain in less than an hour.  They also have a new lift accessing about 650 more acres this season.