Note to New Members ×

Full Carved 360s

Slim

Hey,

I've read a few posts about carving 360s. I've never seen it but would like to learn how to do it.

Anyone able to recommend a web-video which shows the full carved 360, or give a couple tips to carve a full circle? And special considerations regarding slope profile? Technique? Other stuff?

Thanks for any help you can give!

If I recall,SES Vid 2004 has one in it.

I'm getting to about 320. I say it takes good flat groomed snow, proper speed. Limit any dragging of the hands. I have found too much makes the size of the turn too big, solid confidence in that edge and a steep slope to partially flat back to sloped again. At least that is what I have been trying on. Oh and most importantly, the belief you can do it.

good luck

It pretty easy to do them if you have a groomed bowl ending into a banked funnel. Just be very light on carve in the 1st 180 to preserve speed , ride the walls then hook the last 180. I have never seen anyone do one ending in full speed carve , usaully the end is pretty slow. At Mt Hood meadows we have a perfect spot for doing this (except for this year do to lack of snow) It is definately easier when the snow a little firm and fast.

Jim

hello,

i can do a 360 carve; hey, i thought it was pretty easy!

i started to do "the norm", and to slow down my speed, i started to prolonge the turn going uphill. After a couple of days i could carve 360 on my hot 158. i must say i can't do it on my 178, because it stops carving at slower speeds.

If there is nobody on the slope, it's a pretty peasefully and slow way to come down the hill!.

A carve-snowboard is the ONLY equipment that holds edge so well that you can make a carved 360, or even 180!

Even on very steep and icey slopes its possible to do 180's toside.

No skier or freeride boarder can do that.

Yep, carving is my thing! Elegance, controle, and gravitiy!

cheers!

There is a nice flat spot ( around a lift tower :D ) at our hill. Everything depends on the snow and temp. ( too icy you either lose you edge skid-out, or too soft and you dig in too much scrub of all speed. )

Don't think a freerider with elevators :eek: can't do it.

I've only done it my accident - saw someone coming out of the trees at me and made a really hard heelside and couldn't get out of the turn - just rode it out and kept going. Definitley a panic survival move.

Can I do it on purpose? I've tried but I only make it about 315 degrees before I lose my speed. :mad:

Guest Todd Stewart

the tightness of your turn depends on the turning radius of your board. That is the spot on the board where it turns most efficiently so it is alot easier to do it on a shorter board.

"A carve-snowboard is the ONLY equipment that holds edge so well that you can make a carved 360, or even 180!"

That's a thilly thing to thay don't ya think?

:)

I have done two 360's on skis (720) - mach 10 into the flats and letting it rip. I was demo'ing some volkl slalom skis and I just knew they could do it.

I still have yet to try that on a board. I don't know why, but I just have not. I have done 360's more times than I can count on

ANY gear, which I think that you will find a lot of people in this community that have done it on any gear. I have even done it on my new park/pipe noodle that I got this year. It is not about the equipment (although I never did it on straight skis) - it is about the technique, and sometimes the location that you do it. Some locations are more conducive than others, but unless something is waaay too steep, or just too narrow, I believe that it can be done on most slopes.

If I have done it on skis (which I am not very good at) I would bet that there are quite a few guys that can carve a 720 on boards as well. Anyone, anyone?

I agree with Phil. Just last night I saw some guys on softies (in real soft snow) carve 180s. There are some very stylish sofitie carvers out there, a few that may even appear to be alpine carvers at first.

Phil, I would love think carving a circle on skiis is much harder- maybe I can watch you if we hook up!

===

Barry

"carving 180 not confined to carving board"

It can be done with Catek Freerides on either a K2 ginsu or Prior 4WD. :) I think your angles would still have to be pretty steep for free style though, boot drag could be a problem with 0/0 angles. Angulation is pretty important too, as you scrub so much speed at the end of the circle, if you were to break at the waist you'd just plop over. I like doing them near the bottom of the lift cuz it seems easier on the flats and the parkies in line get a puzzled look on they'er faces as if they cant decide if you just did something really cool or really lame. :)

For all those that can do 360s, what shape are they? When I try a 360 my turn radius becomes progressively smaller so it doesn't look like a circle at all. It's more like a spiral.

I usually run out of gas with the board pointing directly across the fall line, and I can either skid the last bit around, or wheelie around on the tail.

Oh, this is heelside only for me. Toeside I can't get past 180.

This thread came at a good time.

Just yesterday my son and I figured out a new game to play with our excess speed when we approach the main lift line. We power into the flat area and it was my job to pick a group of people to circle. I would dive in and rail around them and a few second later my son would do the same on his toeside (which is switch stance for him) and we both completed circles around the startled group. A little over 180 degrees in a clean carve (to get the uphill slingshot, of course) and then flat base to close the loop and complete the circle and motor on by them again. Its kind of spode move since its not a 360 degree carve. But not bad for soft boots and two old Burton pipe boards.

sic

My buddies and I have been playing games with circles for years. Beware - this should go w/out saying. My friend went to do a circle around me when I had finished mine. I am a big guy, and I blocked his view. He ended up going uphill full speed into someone coming downhill full speed. They both laid there for a while, but they were O.K. their boards were not as well off.

It should go without saying that if you are going to do this, make sure there is no traffic, and always look uphill before you go uphill. Going around traffic or groups is another hazard because you cannot always see around them, so make sure that you are aware of traffic on the other side.

Guest jeremiah

I recommend having a spotter if you're going to be trying circles near the liftline. I clipped a patroller when I was exactly halfway through an attempt several years ago. My friend who had waved all clear said that the patroller looked completed suprised rather than upset or angry. I *think* the patroller came from another run, because he wasn't there when I started. I was very lucky to not get my pass pulled, and even luckier that it was someone who knew how to ski and to peel away from me at the last second.

Jeremiah

OK so I tried this move Sunday and I thought it was pretty fun, but I wanna carve tight circles- and fast. My board is a 157.5 with a 9.23 radius. If you carve a circle, you will have made a circle having the dimension of your board's sidecut radius, right?

Assume this is so, I'm not quite sure how you could progressively carve a "spiral" like shape with a smaller radius than what your sidecut is. Are you doing some unique move where you get some air and stay on teh same edge? Increasing your leg pressure to the edge as you begin to complete a circle? quite curious.

thx,

Barry

Guest dudleydudley
Originally posted by Barry

OK so I tried this move Sunday and I thought it was pretty fun, but I wanna carve tight circles- and fast. My board is a 157.5 with a 9.23 radius. If you carve a circle, you will have made a circle having the dimension of your board's sidecut radius, right?

I can curve different size radii by varying how much I squeeze my knees together. If you do complete a full circle, it may not necessarily be a circle with your SCR.

Yes, I've read the article about how you're not supposed to ride with your knees together. ;)

Originally posted by jtslalom

The best is doing it around a ski patroller while he is trying to control ski traffic.

Awesome ! JT you are the man.

I've been up at Hunter the last few Sundays which is probably why we have not seen each other. Might hang out at the Creek this weekend. If I do I'll mount the Winds on the Incline. Hate that Alp.

Make sure you hook up with Eric before the season is out. I want to see that showdown. You are both high end riders.

sic

Originally posted by Barry

If you carve a circle, you will have made a circle having the dimension of your board's sidecut radius, right?

Nope. It's impossible to carve the same radius as your board. As your board bends in a turn, it makes a smaller circle in the snow than the radius of the board. Carved turns are therefore always smaller than the sidecut radius of the board.

And it's usually easy enough to vary the radius of the turn by varying the amount of edge angle and/or speed. I seem to get more edge angle as my 360 progresses, making the radius tighter and more spiral-like. I'm wondering if other people do the same.