Note to New Members ×

(Relative) Newbie doesn't like ice

Bonus boy

I'm in Austin :-(

But we just got some serious help on the house stuff. If I could get away this weekend, where would you like to meet? Maybe I can be creative.

"91 North"? That is promising. I live right on 91 in MA. 

Edited by Bonus boy
Additional comment

• 7 months later...

I'm starting to daydream about snow instead of dirt! In spite of offspring #2 and I heading for some downhill biking at Burke tomorrow. 

Any further news about full demo set ups at Okemo? It is the mountain which is rising in the favor of my family as a boarding destination, anyway. 

Here's to a White Christmas, and all the weekends on either side!

Ian

• 3 months later...

I am *so* glad this forum is back. Many Kudos to Fin, whoever you are ;-)

I’m less of a newbie now. Still riding mostly on the Ice Coast. Spending a fair amount of time at Mount Snow, because #1 son is volunteering with their Adaptive Sports program. Still very curious about hard boot possibilities.  Still riding softboots, although I just found a very stiff pair of softboots for sale used at the Gear Exchange in Burlington, VT. They are better for my arthritic feet, and I very much like the faster response they provide...but...

My increased confidence lately (in older, softer soft boots) has been in part by sinking down deeper into my knees when the surface is inconsistent. This at the advice of my wife, who is a very capable, instinctive softboot rider. So my next challenge is to figure out how to adapt my stance and approach to boots which don’t simply give way. I’m tempted to shift towards what I think of as a hard boot stance, with no duck-footedness to it at all, rear foot also pointed somewhat toward the front of the board. This would allow me to tip forward at the hips and waist and still have my weight over the board, which I think is what I need in inconsistent, ice-coast conditions. Or maybe tip my binding backs forward more aggressively, to force the boots into more of a foreword lean. Or maybe there is a way to shift the angle of the bindings themselves, much as I think you hard-boot types do. 

I realize that all this is just gradually moving me toward hard boots (probably). That is fine! I still like carving on the wide open blue trails the best. I just don’t like the top of the mountain! (The wide angle of view makes me dizzy and panicky, who knew?). And my bike riding has shifted towards BMX and dirt jumping, so in general I’m moving towards purer, more focused forms of my favorite sports. Ah, I’m starting to ramble...

The real questions, for anyone with patience for them: 

- any suggestions about stiff soft boot set ups to experiment with? 

- any news about demo equipment at Okemo? 

- if anyone wants to dig in the dirt and jump bikes in Western MA come summertime, I’m building something of a crazy jump line and would happily share

I’ll post our upcoming outings on the ride board and see if anyone is overlapping. Ride safe and have fun!

Ian

• 9 months later...

I come back to this post of mine on the old site. I am still struck by the generosity of the group on this topic! I have been watching Ryan Knapton’s “how to carve” videos. I think I need to get deeper into my knees and ride over the edge, with the “still” upper body that he suggests. I think my hesitation on hard conditions is driven by too-straight knees and leaning over the snow. I can’t wait to try out my new theory!

That works on soft boots especially on toe edge I find I rely alot on board angulation and aim to keep the majority of my weight right above the edge to drive it into the ice. 

I actually really like super hard icey conditions it keeps me honest and forces me to up my game plus when I do come across good conditions I feel like superman in comparison

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 11/15/2016 at 9:06 PM, Bonus boy said:

You all are amazing. 

We live in western MA, so we often ride in Vermont; Pico, Killington, Bolton Valley, Mount Snow. Sometimes Berkshire East, when the snow is good there. 

Is there anyone renting gear? Near any of those mountains? I don't want to be dragging you all around just in case this old dog might be able to learn new tricks. 

Ian

Pico is a great mountain to learn on by sticking to the Golden Express quad.  Never crowded so you don’t often have to worry about straightliners as you make your wide turns.  I get up that way a couple of times a year. I may be there 1st week after New Years and would be happy to loan you a board and ride with you. I’m not as smooth or stylish as many on here, but have learned a lot and happy to pass on what I know.  Challenge will be finding boots unless you are 13/14 like me (MP 31/31.5). What size are you?

8 hours ago, daveo said:

Same...

Me too.  That said, I'd rather be riding ice than watching TV, so I just slow way down and accept the challenge. 

Once I convince myself to slow down and really focus on pushing the sidewall of the board in the snow/ice, I have fun.  But it's hard to check the ego and go slow.  That takes me longer than it should!  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

BB your experience is similar to mine.  Learned to snowboard at 40 (having skied for a total of 3 days in my life) and just cruised to keep up with my kids until they got old enough to go by themselves.  One day I saw a bunch of carvers making perfect semicircles and just HAD to try it.  At first I was awful, but once I started making decent turns,  I was hooked.  My opinion is that the hardboot carving is actually better on the Eastern ice for most of us.  The longer boards and the sharper edges bring more terrain into play on those boilerplate mornings.