Note to New Members ×

(Relative) Newbie doesn't like ice

Bonus boy

Ice is a head thing. Some days I am amazed at the thin lines I leave. Others I am a sideways mess mired in frustration. In general I stick to slopes one notch down from normal i.e. less steep.

Carving boards are better than softies. Reason being in my view - longer contact edge, nothing else. I have sometimes thought of designing an ice board. It would be longish, have a large sidecut radius and be very easy to bend.

16 hours ago, Steph said:

Starting this season, Okemo Mountain will have a full line of demo equipment.  Boots, boards, bindings.  A short trip from Western MA.

Who's doing this? Is this Okemo itself? If so, which shop/location? And, what's the gear offered?  BTW, thanks Steph; You KNOW how hard certain riders worked to keep rental/demo carving boards in/around Stratton!  This is really good news!

Bobby Buggs that is very generous of you! It was a Berkshire East instructor who gave me my only formal snowboarding lesson, Elinor Massengil. I bumped into her recently, and it was her comment that got me interested in hardboot styles (reminding me of a pair of riders I had seen at Pico who were laying down at apparently impossible angles). 

Anyway, she is fantastic, and I would seriously consider whatever she recommends. 

I will watch the ride board and post something when we make our first foray. My wife (Sam) is expressing interest as well, she was a black diamond skier who has knee injuries (soccer) and found that the stability of a snowboard is much safer. I showed my son one of the alpine videos and he said "that looks like what mommy does". Maybe that would be the match made in heaven? 

I see something about Okemo having demo/rental gear? That would be great, we can get there from here. 

Anyway, if you see a family of four snowboarding down the mountain with the mom casually ripping in the front, two boys in the middle, and a bobble-head of a dad carving along at the back, say "hi"!

IMG_0010.JPG

Eric, it is Okemo that is running the demo.  They will have Donek boards, Bomber bindings, and a fleet of demo boots (Deeluxe 325's).  Remember Sean Mezkat from the Gate?  He's the director of retail at Okemo and met w/Angie & Jim last year after ECES to seal the deal.  Plus, I believe the Muellers (sp?), owners of Okemo, their daughter races alpine.  It makes sense there. 

Yeah, I hear ya, about how difficult it is to find demo gear.  This is a really great opportunity for East Coasters, and very centrally located!

• Like 5

On November 14, 2016 at 2:57 PM, iCamera said:

On bikes I ride a fully suspended 650b cross country and lift-assisted downhill. Also a bmx bike on pump tracks and street riding.

So scrape the old hardtail out of the inky shadows of the garage, and take it for a ride on something technical. Pay attention to how subtlety is rewarded, and excess punished. Same thing on a board on ice.

Up Maine way, we get what can best be described as ‘mood swing’ weather. Usually in January, where it’s not uncommon to experience a 40 degree temperature change in a matter of hours.

If they groom while wet, you get cheese grater, glove-eating corduroy. Otherwise, they try to grind it up, but that's like wiping smoke off the glass on the woodstove door.

Either way, it can be a lot of fun. At least for awhile.

On November 15, 2016 at 9:56 PM, west carven said:

ec is not the best technique for ice. your weight needs to be over your edge like an ice skater at all times.

leaning over like the extreme carvers will cause you to lose your edge very fast. a more upright over your

edge will keep you from sliding out.

The best technique for a given surface is the one that allows the rider to go where they want, when they want.

That some don’t understand how to best utilize various movement options is no reason not to explore them.  If you want to stick a turn on the blue, you need to properly modulate the bend in the board, accurately time the duration and magnitude of the edge tilt, and make sure you don’t interfere with the tracking of the edge across the surface. Some of the aspects of EC fit this description nicely. Whether or not you’re in a position to execute is another thing entirely.

The problem with EC for the novice, is the temptation to copy the outward appearance, without first learning the mechanics.

On November 17, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Bobby Buggs said:

Hard part is going to be finding gear to use

If he, or any other novice makes it all the way to Sugarloaf, I have a reasonable array of demo gear. 

• Like 1

A very important piece of this 'pie' is that one has to understand that EVERYTHING is in motion.. It's a matter of just 'when' you want something to happen, then factor in the ever-improbable issue of 'leverage' at that point, then, not CREATE new problems by that actuation. Easy. Right? Everyone's an 'expert'?--- Well, yes, in their own realm, that is, whether their balancing can give them the result, without demerits along the way. So, it often does come down to 'FEEL', and the Individual has to sort it out. 

My assertion of preferring a rear-foot lift at the heel is no joke, though. Most boots cannot compensate for the shift of mass rearward from bending both knees, and few bindings ever tried to mitigate that issue, nor help really in recovery to an offense position slightly ahead of the board, at the hips. 

Canting is an issue of comfort, often due to fights with the boot cuffs, or bone structure. Stance width can go either way here, too.

So, a 'carpet ride' is still recommended, but, Go Through your Flex range! Impingement will help target 'points' in the movement model that might need attention. Video-in-motion would be the next concrete step, and hiccups need to be noted.

Much of this, there's a component, one I Will Not Retreat From! My Eyes... They're trained to see, see what you might not. If You think yours have seen what mine have, and witnessed such for athletes and competitive groups, then, say so. But be warned, I've seen an awful lot.

Ignore the glitch^. (Binary spinach stuck in the teeth).

4 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Much of this, there's a component, one I Will Not Retreat From! My Eyes... They're trained to see, see what you might not. If You think yours have seen what mine have, and witnessed such for athletes and competitive groups, then, say so. But be warned, I've seen an awful lot.

If, by chance you were speaking to me, I have no idea what your eyes have seen, only what they haven't. In your haste to reply, they missed the thread title.

I think you wanted this one?:http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/44220-toeheel-lift-cant/

4 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

A very important piece of this 'pie' is that one has to understand that EVERYTHING is in motion.. It's a matter of just 'when' you want something to happen, then factor in the ever-improbable issue of 'leverage' at that point, then, not CREATE new problems by that actuation. Easy. Right? Everyone's an 'expert'?--- Well, yes, in their own realm, that is, whether their balancing can give them the result, without demerits along the way. So, it often does come down to 'FEEL', and the Individual has to sort it out. 

My assertion of preferring a rear-foot lift at the heel is no joke, though. Most boots cannot compensate for the shift of mass rearward from bending both knees, and few bindings ever tried to mitigate that issue, nor help really in recovery to an offense position slightly ahead of the board, at the hips. 

Canting is an issue of comfort, often due to fights with the boot cuffs, or bone structure. Stance width can go either way here, too.

So, a 'carpet ride' is still recommended, but, Go Through your Flex range! Impingement will help target 'points' in the movement model that might need attention. Video-in-motion would be the next concrete step, and hiccups need to be noted.

Hi iCamera, as another icecoaster, I can say the more direct, stiffer connection one has between rider-to-boots-to-binding-to-board when riding alpine is a definite plus on harder snow...it's not a panacea for ice, but makes for more confidence when negotiating less than ideal conditions. My son and I will be up central VT way (love Pico!) after new years if you'd like to connect. I have a spare board you could try but you'll need boots unless you are a mondo 31 (roughly 13/14 American.) in which case you could use my second set.  I also MTB (FS, HT, SS, DH, Fattie...it's all good!) and I know what you mean about despising straight lines....you'll be right at home as a carver.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, iCamera said:

I asked about rentals of alpine/hardboot equipment at the rental shop and the retail shop, no one knew what I was talking about. Any suggestions? 

Just posted on the Okemo facebook page,  asking about what and where they have this alpineboard gear for rent,  board, boots, bindings.  If you and others post as well, maybe we will get an answer.

• Like 1

got an answer....

Okemo Mountain Resort We are currently in the process of acquiring a small fleet of demo setups which will be available through either the Snowsports Shop or The Demo shack. So far we've only got boots and bindings, and should have boards shortly. For the best and most up to date info, call Showsports shop at 802-228-1548.

21 hours ago, RobertAlexander said:

got an answer....

Okemo Mountain Resort We are currently in the process of acquiring a small fleet of demo setups which will be available through either the Snowsports Shop or The Demo shack. So far we've only got boots and bindings, and should have boards shortly. For the best and most up to date info, call Showsports shop at 802-228-1548.

@Jim Callen  can you provide some more details around the demo fleet/ I have been referring people I bump into all season to go to Okemo for demo gear based on a post that came out in early fall around Okemo having demos. I thought there was a full demo fleet there, what are the plans?

Two more real questions from the Newbie, and some chatter: 

We had a great two days this weekend at Pico. Who was that on hardboots under me as I rode the main quad up the hill? I feel like Mr. Toad being passed by his first motor car every time I see someone carving like that. 

Question for anyone with experience, time and patience for such things: is there a logical progression from softboots to hardboots if I pick the right softboot board? Or is there a fork in the road between hard boot and soft boot, and if I want to get into hardboot riding I should just move over and take my lumps as a beginner?

Boards in my limited experience: 

- Old school rossignol full camber board I bought as my first board, it had been a rental. I was worried about catching an edge, so I bought...
- A Burton Parkitect. I don't like this one much. I should have noticed the name. I don't ride in parks. It will probably become my 14 year old son's next board. He rides all kinds of terrain competently and happily. 
- Demo'd a Carvair (K2). It was much more fun than the Parkitect. I got it from Surf the Earth, near Killington, where the folks were friendly and they know how to stick cars to walls (??!!) but don't have any hard boot gear
- Can go back to Surf the Earth in two weeks and try the Shape Timeless board as a demo. Aluminum top sheet, supposedly a feature borrowed from hardboot boards. Looks cool as all hell. Supposedly super fast (not necessary for me) and maybe can cut through all kinds of stuff (sounds appealing). Would happily go fast once I learn to trust my edges more. But this is probably "too much" board for a beginner shifting to intermediate? 

Question about the basic physics of boards: Trying to understand the trade offs among boards. Stiffer boards will cut into crap better and allow more Gs, but resist the effort to twist the front of the board as I go from edge to edge? So for stiff boards it is about weight shift rather than torque from my feet? I have arthritis in my feet, they don't like the task of torquing the board much, anyway. 

I realize that if I catch an edge, I feel like I made the mistake, but if an edge slides out from under me I feel betrayed by the mountain. Funny how illogical humans can be!

Seems like I should have at least one softboot board to keep my options open, then add a hardboot board if I'm up to it? Thinking about going back to the old cambered Rossignol as a general purpose board, mothball the Parkitect, add something dedicated to carving. 

Ah, well. Easy to obsess and intellectualize when sitting in a tiny little airplane seat going away from snow and mountains....

On 11/19/2016 at 4:38 PM, Bobby Buggs said:

Yeah I hope to be at the Beast a bunch this year since I have a pass due to work I do for them. Im sure we can get something done if we are able to meet up

We will be there Saturday the 10th of February. Any chance of catch you there that day?

1 hour ago, iCamera said:

Stiffer boards will cut into crap better and allow more Gs, but resist the effort to twist the front of the board as I go from edge to edge? So for stiff boards it is about weight shift rather than torque from my feet?

Not quite no; stiff boards have some benefits in terms of providing better support for higher loads (heavier riders, or more agressive riders). A heavy or more agressive rider won't require any/much extra help biting into the snow. What the stiffness provides is a smoother more powerful ride, and usually: more energy from the board exiting the turn.

softer boards actually provide better "bite" and grip in the snow as the majority of the edge pressure is concentrated over a smaller area closer to the bindings (whereas on a stiffer board this pressure is distributed over a larger area further away from the binndings towards the nose and tail).

stiffer/softer are not better worse. I like a softer board in the ice, and a stiff one otherwise.

torsional rigidity is always good IMO.

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

Hi Guys! Sean here from Okemo.. I will shed some light on the demo fleet at Okemo.. As of Saturday, our boards arrived.. So we have boards and bindings in stock. We will have boots ASAP.. I will be back at Okemo on Wednesday if you have any more questions..

• Like 1