Note to New Members ×

So what does people ride? **SURF**

andiss

In addition to the rest of my quiver just got a 5'8" retro fish i thought would be shite, like do soul arches all the way, but the little thing flies!

Glassed fins - nice and responsive! As long as you dont do late drops you're grand!

My main squeeze in through the spring and summer is a Fowler Stoker V-machine prototype, I think it is 6'2", crazy wide. These are normally thrusters but mine is a 5 fin and I have it set up as a quad, it also has a v-hull with a bit of a diamond tail. I love it. Picks up small surf pretty easily as long as there is a wee bit of punch, is fast, loose and fun. I'll definitely ride it until it is destroyed.

For really small waves that might be better appreciated on a longboard I have a Junod Big Five Diamond Tail, 7'6" and 3 inches thick, also crazy wide. It's basically a shorboard for a giant — a good substitute for a longboard (and pretty too). I also run that as a quad.

Both of those are pretty flat.

I also have a superbrand superhuman that I use for bigger surf in the fall and winter. It's right around 6'3" (I think), 2.5" thick and 18" wide. Has a very pulled-in round tail. Lots of camber for fitting into steep waves. Super stable, carves great turns. I'm not good enough to ride this board the way it is meant to be ridden, but some days I get lucky.

Edited by queequeg

Wayne Okamoto/Oak Foils

9'0" comp rocker swallow tail long board

6'6" twinzer pynzer + 1 with 6 channel hydro step (low entry rocker twin quad with front placed finlets with option to run as a single or thruster)

Wayne is the man and has been making all my boards since 84' back when he would let me skateboard home with a freshly shaped blank/paint and spray myself and would still place his logo on it no matter how good or crappy my art was.

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

I've shaped my own boards since high school, it's a great hobby. What I like to ride is a fish, or variations of fish shapes, between 5'2 & 6'0. They all usually have a single concave in the bottom to a double going out the tail, with quad fins. They can handle most anything up to double overhead, just gotta control the speed.post-305041-0-94271100-1465284166_thumb.

• Like 2

Latest ride is  Fowler V8 7'6", got the V-Bottom and 4+1 setup. Usually ride as a single (flex fin) or quad, haven't played with any other combinations yet. It may be the best surf board I have ever had. An in-between size but since it is designed to ride from the middle it seems short when riding. Turns quickly in conjunction with my snowboard muscle memory, which suits my style. Only had it out a few times, but it seems to work in everything so far. Paddles and catches waves easily. 

Other ride is a 9'8" Bing Levitator, good for a lot of stuff except maybe super steep drops (at least with me on it).  

Got a few more in the quiver, 6'8" Monsta-Chief from Proctor,  6'4" custom Simmons-like, a few more older long boards.

• 2 weeks later...