Note to New Members ×

BP Meds = Performance Loss + Weight Gain??

barryj

Well...... cardiologist is booked up until end of June!!   I'm on the cancellation list.........

Maybe it's  psychosomatic but now 4th day off the Losartan and my BP has dropped every day...... last Sunday it was 190/113, today it is150/99 AND I have lost 3lbs!

• 2 weeks later...

Reverse osmosis water......? Who didn't go to school on the day they did science? Can I sell you some pills that will remove the Higgs bosons from your butt so it doesn't sag as you get older?

Losartan all by itself messes with the excretion of sodium and potassium and water in your urine, as just part of its' mechanism of action for lowering blood pressure.

I don't know about NZ, but R.O. systems are common in US homes.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap12.pdf

http://www.healthy-water.ca/Calcium%20%26%20Magnesium%20in%20Drinking%20Water.pdf

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap5.pdf

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/47/6/688

ETC.....

OIA.

And my point was that if you'll buy "reverse osmosis" water to drink you'll buy just about anything.

I'm very familiar with distilled, deionised water from laboratory work. Di/De water is not for drinking as your first reference points out.

Secondly, reverse osmosis is a misnomer. Water will follow the net effect of solute or pressure gradients across a semi-permeable membrane. That is still osmosis.

Standard water filter systems do not produce Di/De water. If Americans can be conned into thinking that, and that they need "reverse osmosis" water systems, well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

As for your 4th reference, I hope you're not implying our friend with the blood pressure problem is an alcoholic!

OIA.

And my point was that if you'll buy "reverse osmosis" water to drink you'll buy just about anything.

I won't argue the science 'cos, being an idiot, I don't know any. But I will say that once the money flew out of my damn fool pocket, our water started tasting waaaayyy better. I'm not sure it was a coincidence. The anthrax spore filtering was an added bonus. I'm writing this message from the Brooklyn Bridge, which I just bought this morning. I also traded all my snowboard gear for some magic beans.

• Like 1

Just to check that it's not the plus diuretic version, losartan hctz ?

Diuretics can play havoc with your electrolyte balance, especially if you don't get enough minerals, drink reverse osmosis water etc.

Sunsurfer, the above does not advocate drinking RO water, not if I can still read written English. In fact I think you have misconstrued just about everything I said. I in turn, misconstrued your first reply.

There is an established correlation between mineral deficiency and weight gain. BP meds and especially diuretics can exasperate an existing mineral deficiency, or create one. I was merely pointing out that drinking RO water may be an issue in these circumstances. I did so because, as I said RO systems are common in US homes.  Yes, RO systems, not just filters.

The residential water treatment industry in the US has, and still is misinforming people as to the value of hard water in terms of health, and of the value of minerals from drinking water. Unfortunately RO water systems are very appealing as it means an end to descaling kettles and coffee makers. Aside from drinking RO water, people cook with it as well, and it leaches minerals from their food.  A lot of people in the US also have water softeners, and cook with and drink softened water. Not quite as bad as RO water, but still not good.

The fourth reference in my post, was just to reiterate the importance of minerals in drinking water, and nothing further was implied

Edited by BobD
  • Like 1

Just been reading about the ongoing concerns about lead contamination in water supply systems in both Flint and now other cities like Chicago. Also CDC advice for removing the same, which includes reverse osmosis water filtration.

My apologies to Bob D for my speaking out of ignorance.

Just been reading about the ongoing concerns about lead contamination in water supply systems in both Flint and now other cities like Chicago. Also CDC advice for removing the same, which includes reverse osmosis water filtration.

Now that's settled, how about working on those Higgs boson underpants? I got magic beans burning a hole in my pocket!