Note to New Members ×

Groomed Waves

RCrobar

Hello

Check out the groomed waves in this video! 

I like the feel of this type of riding, to me it is pleasing to both the eye and the soul.  No doubt that there is an army of guys out there who have ridden this way for years in both soft and hard boots.  I can’t help but wish there were more videos of guys riding this way in hardboots as well. Considering the snow conditions in this video, it would have been fun to see someone grab one of these boards, slap on some flexy plates, back the stance angles off and surf away.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 2

Hello

Check out the groomed waves in this video! 

I like the feel of this type of riding, to me it is pleasing to both the eye and the soul.  No doubt that there is an army of guys out there who have ridden this way for years in both soft and hard boots.  I can’t help but wish there were more videos of guys riding this way in hardboots as well. Considering the snow conditions in this video, it would have been fun to see someone grab one of these boards, slap on some flexy plates, back the stance angles off and surf away.

Cheers

Rob

soul surf(ace)ing is why I chose 1 edge

but I don't need machine built standing waves to surf the mountain

ps diggin the drone footage

Edited by b0ardski

howdy

some gentemstick inspired shapes from Montana.

these guys have been riding whitefish, but are based in Missoula, Montana.

these guys rip and are fun to watch, Soul Motion

attachicon.gifsoulmotion_on_whitefish.jpg

love the craftmanship. and the early 80s arms.

but I like going fakie.

ps like seeing blacktail in the background too, always loved looking north at the fog bank while surfing in the sun at the basturd child.

so poetic :1luvu:

We see the world as artists. A beautiful gift given for us to appreciate, to be a part of. We are part of nature and it is our duty to recognize that, and interact with it in the same way you would interact with your own family. It is in this we realize that we are all connected, not just human beings, but all creatures, plants, and elements are all connected in a state of grace.

Held by the moon. Grown by the sun. Feel the wind in our face and let the rain wash over us. Let it all go in the fall. Hunker and gather in winter. In the spring range, rage with all our might, and wash away everything that is no longer useful and become anew.

The mountain is also anew. Each and every pocket between the lodgepole pines are filled in and soft to the eye. Like a droplet of water falling with the grace of gravity down the fall line. Speed increases exponentially, reaching terminal velocity. Lean into the edge and carve deep to feel the g-force. Time disappears and space turns into a single moment. There is only now.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

soul surf(ace)ing is why I chose 1 edge

but I don't need machine built standing waves to surf the mountain

ps diggin the drone footage

The first man-made-snow banked slalom run was something I did at Okemo in the 1989-90 season.  I had a full-page photo (from ISM magazine) that I taped to the Mountain Managers desk, of Mt. Baker's banked course, and a post-it note asking if we could please do this with snowguns and some grooming.

The first big obstacle was location. I wanted Lower Wardance (now just "Wardance', as the upper got renamed 'Searle's Way' after a Patroller), but the racer's pretty much owned it, so Lower Chief was where 'the Banked Park' ended up being set.

The second issue was 'how do you make this?', and I had to explain how I thought it could be done. I got quite an education in snowgun operation and placement during this, but the concept of moving the guns, in a planned arc, on a fixed schedule did pay off. Having a Pisten Bully with an angle-articulated blade and groom kit was the last piece to the puzzle (well, and Chet, the guy who drove it!). We made banks about 5 ft. high by 50 ft. long, six of them, in a loose "S" down the left side of the trail.  No start/finish areas, and Ski Patrol promptly put big honking nets up along the berm edges to keep people from jumping, but, overall, it worked out O.K..

Nice to see that the concept lives on somewhere else, a quarter century later.  Of course, Mt.Baker was, and I suppose IS, the real inspiration! 

I hope I get to see someone figure out how to blow true "Powder" from snowguns before I die!  With That, the possibilities of Fresh Tracks would be endless! :cool:

• Like 1

I too am one of those old guys that has ridden this way for a long time. I guess one good thing about being old is that you get to see what is old become new again!   West Carven thanks for posting the Soul Motion link as I hadn't heard of these guys, I really like seeing young guys pushing snowboarding in this direction ... cool! I don't need man made things to surf the mountain either, but it sure would be fun to ride that terrain with the people in the video! I see that Taro now has his own K2 boot and some Burton bindings with his Gentemstick colors, wouldn't if be nice to see some new hardboots and plate bindings that were inspired by builders that see and ride the entire mountain this way.  I'm old, but hopefully young enough to see this come full circle as well.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

No, it's a Leash [remember those?] that's attached up front, but wrapped onto the rear leg...

No leashes to see in the Epic TV video. I have leashes on my surfboards. But having seen the video I can understand how the original image is almost certainly unaltered. Still puzzled by the green dashes.

Mt. Baker Banked Slalom

Eric Writes:

Nice to see that the concept lives on somewhere else, a quarter century later.  Of course, Mt.Baker was, and I suppose IS, the real inspiration!

If you had to man a hardboot-plate binding demo booth at the Mount Baker Banked Slalom race weekend what NEW HB equipment designs would get all these softboot riders stoked to try a HB set up in this banked course?  What HB plate set up would give the power-mobility low stance angle balance that would excite these Banked Slalom participants enough to demo some gear and want to try on the banks?  If someone can figure out the answer to this question, we all will enjoy some pretty cool new equipment!

Cheers

Rob 

the SBX racers here for X games have sophisticated Boards, Boards that are designed to haul ass, not do slope style, they changed to these boards, as the chance to Win the Race dictated such, HB don't offer what they want or they ALL would be in HB...to bad FIS never picked up the Banked Slalom idea as it is a much better course format than setting gates for Skis and saying GO...Really Cool to watch the SBX racers Carve around for fun, and many of the Slope and Pipe Kids are Carving as well, this is the thing I learned from our Son, Carving is Cool, and many of todays SB competitive riders rip them when they want, but it is not enough to keep the interest alive, he needed to Jump,to Slide, to Ollie the picnic table and all the other moves he came up with...just because he was in SB, did not ever mean he could't Carve or enjoy Carving for what it is. Yea Ok, he wasn't going to ever be competitive with Jasey Jay, I get that, but he could Carve circles around most people in both directions...

...to bad FIS never picked up the Banked Slalom idea as it is a much better course format than setting gates for Skis and saying GO...

Not too sure about that... Banks promote flatter base riding and some slashy turns. Basicaly a crutch for people who can not, or do not want, to get the board high enough on the edge. Plus, they are artificial features - when freeriding, you do not get a berm every time you want to make a turn. Basically, remove the berms from SBX and the hard boots would make a come back, even with the big jumps they have to do.

Back to FIS, current PGS and PSL are not courses set for skis, contrary, they came up with that specifically for snowboarding (and to make it easier for spectators and TV). For people who understand the snowsports, the original snowboard races in proper "ski" courses (non-dual) were better to watch - you had those rhythm changes, delays, terrain and grade changes and the courses were longer.

What I personally would like to see is a timed hybrid discipline, that would contain both SL and GS size turns, grade changes, few berms (but not on every turn) thrown in and a jump or 2...

• Like 2

All good points Blue B, I only have what I have watched on TV and the Races here years ago, a downhill and slalom and some of the opinions of those Racers on what courses they wanted to see set back then...which was single GS with flow and terrain maximized and the X games through the years in terms of the SBX courses and how they have evolved over time...the most severe crashes I have seen here on the SBX courses have been not on the Banks or Jumps but on the smaller washboard stuff when hauling ass and the timing falters, really ugly to watch and serious injury as they fly off course   :freak3:  your course design sounds interesting  :biggthump

Hello

Softboot Sailor writes:

many of today's SB competitive riders rip them when they want, but it is not enough to keep the interest alive, he needed to Jump,to Slide, to Ollie the picnic table and all the other moves he came up with

One of the interesting stories that the founder of the SoulMotion web site tells, that West Carven provided, deals with his last back flip and how it hurt his body.  A trip to Japan and a sore body made this 29 year old realize that he wanted to enjoy a style of snowboarding his body could maintain for years to come.  The SoulMotion boards and just enjoying a nice turn seem to be the result.  These days I like to say that my favorite two tricks are turning left and turning right, I would guess that this is true for a large portion of the overall snowboarding community.  My point being that if 90% of riders are primarily turning 90% of the time, on and off piste, many would benefit from gear that was designed with turns in mind first and flying second.

BlueB writes:

Not too sure about that... Banks promote flatter base riding and some slashy turns. Basicaly a crutch for people who can not, or do not want, to get the board high enough on the edge.

I agree with BlueB here, the course design just doesn't seem to require really powerful edging.  A friend of mine 'worked' at this years Canadian SBX Nationals.  Through an very informal and un-scientific survey, he estimated that 80% of the riders were using Burton soft bindings and 40% of the overall bindings used were Burton Cartels.  I honestly believe that an old beat up pair of plastic Proflex plate bindings and an old $50 pair of Raichle 225's has more low stance angle, heel to toe, power then a set of new Burton soft boots and bindings.  Modern SBX's don't seem to require huge power and will not give up their SB mobility.  

What I personally would like to see is a timed hybrid discipline, that would contain both SL and GS size turns, grade changes, few berms (but not on every turn) thrown in and a jump or 2...

If SBX courses were set like this, Hard and Soft Boot-Binding design might converge and we really could see some cool new boots and bindings; designs that would be better for simply turning, and ultimately carving high up on edge, left and right.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

Almost all HB are set at high angles and used primarily for Lateral strength, SB in general are set Perpendicular to the edge...these are two different forces, IMHO you can get just as much force into a turn with either system...Interesting how some HB are now using SB on HB Boards and saying Wow...what advantage is there by setting HB at Perpendicular angles though ? and of course there are some HB on SB boards as well...

Edited by softbootsailer

Hi

Almost all HB are set at high angles and used primarily for Lateral strength, SB in general are set Perpendicular to the edge...these are two different forces, 

Agreed.

IMHO you can get just as much force into a turn with either system.

I can't completely agree here as this has not been my experience.  I agree you can get close ... but not as much power vs mobility, etc.  I also feel way safer, with regards to ankle injuries, when carving with HB's in crappy conditions ... more than I do with soft boots.

what advantage is there by setting HB at Perpendicular angles though ? 

When I say across the board heel to toe, I mean a back foot at say 30 degrees.  You seem to have interpreted my post to mean zero degrees, this was not my intention.  For discussion sake I was imagining above 50 degrees in hard boots, below 30 degress in soft boots; that stance range in the between 50 and 30 is open to a lot of variables for both hard and soft. 

It would be interesting to see a BX racer in HB's with a 45F-30R or 40F-25R stance, in a course like BlueB described, especially if the interface had the mobility to handle the rollers and air.  With angles in the mid 40's the front foot possibly generates more edge pressure via the side of the boot while the back foot in the 30's probably generates more edge pressure via the heel-toe, tongue of the boot ... so it is a mix of the two forces you described. 

Bottom line is I'll try any boot on any board as it's all boarding and fun ... this is why I have both hard and soft boots:)

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar