Note to New Members ×

Airbnb? Anyone ever use it?

Jeffrey Day

"What's that sonny??? I can't hear you over the sound of your dial-up modem!!"

Juuust kidding :p

Airbnb is pretty great, just make sure you read the rental reviews and descriptions carefully. I generally prefer VRBO, as I find many of their listings have been in the market longer and are (sometimes) better run ... Ymmv. Also: I find VRBO less onerous to deal with than Airbnb.

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

I've used Air BnB a number of times with nearly all good experiences - decent places, rates and hosts.  The only thing I find annoying about it is that you can't have multiple requests going at once (last I checked) but have to request a place then wait 24 hours to hear if you have been accepted before you can try another one.  Makes last-minute planning kind of difficult.  There is now an "Instant Book" option for some places.  

It does take a little while and some traveling to establish yourself in the "community of trust", and it helps if you're sociable without being a pest, responsible about treating the places you stay as you would like a guest to treat your place (and not a total dirtbag at home so you don't know how to act in the first place).    It takes a little more effort than staying in hotels or regular BnB's but if you are trying to save money, meet locals, avoid noisy/icky travel plazas and/or want to feed yourself tolerable food for at least some meals while traveling it's probably the best option available.

Sometimes hosts can be a little more sociable than you might like, but in my experience they generally are pretty cool and easy to get along with, whether or not you even ever meet them. YMMV - but it's worth trying out.

I've used it a few times with generally good experiences. One thing to think about though, is that Air B'n'B is totally screwing over many communities where it operates. Barcelona is considering (or maybe has) clamped down because the rentals were compromising their residential neighborhoods: http://www.vice.com/read/barcelona-tourism-backlash-822

In Portland, landlords are evicting long-term tenants and turning their houses into Air B'n'Bs. This happened next door to us; the house used to rent for about $2k a month, and now it has two rental apartments that each rent for around $100/night. During the summer it's at 100% occupancy, so the landlord is tripling his revenue. One of the renters that got evicted from that house was a Unitarian minister who was friends with everyone on the block and performed my wedding ceremony. So...you could say I have mixed feelings about the company. 

Net net, if you're open to renting a room rather than a private unit, I think that's the way to go: you know that no one was evicted so that you could have a room.  

• Like 2

Dan is spot on.  However, all the airB&B's I've stayed in have NOT been previous rentals but wonderful spots.  In some cases I've never even encountered the "host".  The ones I have encountered have all been super nice and thankfully not "too" intrusive.  I hate motel rooms (sterile) so this is the way I like to travel if possible.