Note to New Members ×

Need help with Side Cut Radius

General Tsao

Hi folks,

Getting back into carving after a 15 year hiatus.  I'm in the process of working with Bruce at Coiler on building out a Nirvana Balance and could really use some help on my decision with side cut radius.  I have searched a bunch of threads but would love if you could help me understand the characteristics of the two options I am considering.  

The board specs are likely to be 178 Balance, 21 waist.  Bruce has suggested the following:

12/14 or 10.5/12.7.12m

As Bruce mentioned, the differences are subtle but I'd appreciate any additional insight you all can share.  Thanks in advance.

RC

PS:  I should point out that I do nearly all of my riding on the East Coast (VT).

If you're riding smaller, tighter Northeast mountains, then go with the tighter sidecut. You'll only feel it being 'too turny' on runs like Standard at Stratton, or Sapphire at Okemo, and once you're back into twistier trails, you be happy about having good carves without using up the full width of the run. 

One nice thing with Coilers (in general) is the dampness lets them run fast easily. If the trails let you 'open it up', all you have to do is Relax, and let 'er run.

If you were riding out West regularly, then I'd go for the longer sidecut, just because of trail width in general, nevermind softer, slower snow.

• Like 1

Narrow runs on the East coast?  I also vote for tighter (2nd option).  

You can bend a larger radius board into tight arcs, but you need speed and/or steep.  I find the bigger radiuses stressful when I'm going slow or feeling at all tired.  

This is all really helpful.   Thank you for taking the time to respond.   Think I'm going  with the tighter of the two.   I still have my big 183 Volkl RennTiger GS board for the bigger, wider, less crowded days....  (Though, I say that now and probably won't ever look back given the reviews I have read of the Nirvana so far. )

Corey, that response nailed it for me.  Part of my desire for a new board is to feel less stressed.  My current board just seems like a lot of work...and you really have to let it run to be happy.

Thank you all.

RC

i just got a nirvana energy a few weeks ago. I asked Bruce to make it 169, w/ a 9/10.7/10 vscr. waist is 21 as well. this thing is amazing. super tight lower speed carves, and it is so stable at hi speed, big turns as well. surprisingly forgiving and well-mannered in non-carving situations. I say go with the smaller sidecut. 

Edited by steven

Thank you all for your solid feedback and insight.  Really appreciate it.

In the end, I decided to go with a 178 Nirvana Balance with the tighter radius (10.5/12.7/12m).  Bruce has the order in his hands (or waiting for him when he returns from ECES)

I'll be sure to report back but just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their valued input.

Cheers,

RC