Note to New Members ×

New Carver at Mount Snow - Little Help please

brentjs@gmail.com

Hey folks -

Been riding for about 20 years in soft boots and just put together my first (and long over due) alpine set up with great help from Jim and Bomber.  

I am based at Mount Snow in Vermont and am looking for an instructor to take a few lessons with to help me get up the learning carve (get it, carve) more quickly.  Is there anyone in the area who'd be able to share some insight?  Unfortunately I can't make it to the expression session at Stratton.  8-(

Also, i've been trying to find some educational videos and articles on line and am finding lots of great videos of people digging serious trenches which is fun to watch but no step-by-step educational stuff.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

brent

Hi

I appreciate SunSurfers posts because he has provided links to the two main carving techniques; rotational and non-rotational is how I will describe them for lack of a better term.  

It seems to me asking a new rider what technique they want to learn first is an important starting point.  Also, using the non-rotational technique does not mean you will be racing.  In addition, using the rotational technique does not mean you will be Extremecarving.  Can of worms open?  I sincerely hope not as this is not my intention.  Use both techniques, or pick the one that best suits your needs. :biggthump

This video tutorial is not in English, but the subtitles are.  I think the animations explaining the non- rotational technique are really cool.

This video is in soft boots, but it shows the rotational technique quite well.

Cheers
Rob Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

Brent, There are a few of us that ride just south of you at Berkshire East. None of us are certified but we have helped many people have break through days. Im usually there on weekends because believe it or not its not crowded. Hit me up here if you would like to hook up or if you can do a weekday at Snow I may be down for that. 

• Like 1

Brent I am at Snow usually when conditions are good for carving. This year unfortunately we are off to a slow start. There are plenty of wide trails there that you can practice on. Weekends are crowded, so I try to ride mid week. There is a lot of info here on Bomber, but the best is to practice and get comfortable on your set up. Then isolate each turn doing long traverse, then start linking the two together. I will try to post when I will be up there.