Note to New Members ×

looking for 1st new setup in 20 years

steven

I currently will spend a handful of days on my old burton alp 164 asym board with burton plates and  burton hardboots. I would guess the whole setup is 20 years old. I am looking to spend more time on a hardboot setup and want to get a new board, bindings, boots. I'd like something a little forgiving with a tight turning radius as opposed to a set up for bigger hi speed super-g type riding. Can anyone suggest  some gear? I would like to go used if i find something on the newer side. I am in telluride co fwiw.

thanks!

Edited by steven

I think you'll see a significant improvement. Many people moved from Asym around 1993/4, so all the changes since then are in your sights.

I'm always banging on about small manoeuvrable boards. My experience is more in European boards, although I ride all over the place. Out there you will probably come across a lot of 2nd hand American stuff, which other people are better qualified to talk about. Euro boards are probably more expensive over there, but I think they also tend to be shorter.

Any F2 Slalom board would probably be worth a look. Glass fibre (as opposed to metal) boards work fine and are probably easier to get in good condition than metal. The early years of metal boards may be best avoided (I think they were fragile). I would avoid anything extremely narrow (that was a fashion which came and went) or anything extremely wide.

The chances are there are people here with boards to sell in your part of the world, and that's probably the best place to start.

Hi

I agree with all 3 of the previous post.  

I am surprised you are not getting more help, suggestions, or cans being opened up as this site has an army of knowledgeable guys that enjoy helping:) 

Providing more information about you may help to get a few more replies.

Maybe provide answers to questions like:

-will this be a one board quiver or the first of a bunch of boards you want to get?

-do you consider yourself intermediate/advanced, etc.?

-are the runs you ride most often narrow or wide?

-will you be on piste carving most of the time?

-will you be all terrain riding most of the time?

-what size are your boots?

-what are your preferred stance angles?

-are you over or under 190 pounds?

-etc.

Hope this helps

Rob

I second the vote for a new Coiler.  The prices are great now and Bruce is great to work with. For just a bit more than a good used board you can have a new custom with the input and advice of a master. Recently I made a 20yr leap and the other thing that was great was stepin bindings with fintec heels. 

Hi

I really like the Coiler suggestion as well, especially at a 33% savings!! 

Check out this link for a ready made Coiler Nirvana, saving you the wait time for this season and getting a cool plate as well.

http://www.apexsnowboard.com/coiler-gecko-special-edition-snowboard.html

The SCR is bigger than you mentioned you were after, but it is a SCR that several Bomber members love. This SCR may be too much, it could also be a carving board that you would like more and more as you improve and progress as a carver ... over the next 20 years. 

Try to demo one, as metal boards turn tighter than a glass board of the same SCR; this was explained to me by Mr Varsava himself.

Just a suggestion, best of luck with your search.

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

Thanks guy, awesome info! After some digging, I'll probably have more questions.

-will this be a one board quiver or the first of a bunch of boards you want to get?

probably just 1 hardboot set for now, got a few softboot setups.

-do you consider yourself intermediate/advanced, etc.?

advanced in softies, probably advanced-intermediate on the carver

I seem to run out of room width-wise on my groomed runs when pushing it

-will you be on piste carving most of the time?

yes

-will you be all terrain riding most of the time?

groomers on this set up

-what size are your boots?

-what are your preferred stance angles?

as less as possible while avoiding any toe drag

-are you over or under 190 pounds?

i am 160

I hope you're still in the 'hood of CO. There's a demo going on out in Copper today (too late) and tomorrow (you got chance). So that's your best bet to try out those boards. 

I'll pass for now since I've gone on over to skiing from my racing career on hardboot boarding. 

PS I do have 1993 (I think) PJ board... so you ain't the only one. :) 

EDIT: Apparently its a 1991 model. omg. I was a senior in HS. -_- I forgot I once drooled and oogle at those Burton catalogs during the yesteryears. 

Edited by LeeW

In addition to Coiler, don't forget to check with the hosts of the forum or Donek if you want a new carving board. They can certainly help you find a suitable board. Wouldn't hurt to email each of them and find out what they recommend. 

Apparently, you can demo gear, anytime (not just demo-days), for free from Bomber when in the Aspen area.

http://www.bomberonline.com/demo-days/

...and they will bring it to you! 

http://www.bomberonline.com/demo-request/

Edited by bigwavedave

Hi steven

The video below is of a Nirvana, with metal and (I am pretty sure) a 12/14m SCR, the same as the ready made Coiler on the Apex site.  When I first saw this video I couldn't believe how tight it was turning, this is when Bruce explained to me the difference between the SCR of a glass vs a metal board.

I seem to run out of room width-wise on my groomed runs when pushing it

I found the specs for the 1994-95 Burton Alp 164.  The SCR for the heel is 9.24m, the SCR for the toe is 9.64m, the rider weight range is 130 to 200 pounds.  It seems crazy that you are running out of room, maybe the old technology just can't do it??

Anyway, just food for thought and perhaps a reason to not get too hung up on a really small SCR if you get a metal board?  Unless of course you want a tight turning board, which is also a lot of FUN!

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

thx guys. Bruce is building me a 170 nirvana energy 21 wide, and a 160 BX 24 wide.

great deals with the exchange rate now, thx for the heads up on that. so psyched. I'll ride my old alp a lot before the new ones arrive, and will post back with thoughts once I get to ride the new ones.