Note to New Members ×

pure carve maverick killer

west carven

Mav 175 is 21 wide and about 11 m radius.

Classic Donek 175 FC I had before was nothing like Mav.

Prior 4WD 174 is reasonably close. If you wanted a bit more modern ride, I'd say Prior WCRM 173 is a smoother and better Maverick.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There was one listed for sale in the Aspen Times a week ago. Came across it when I was looking for any current info about purecarve before I uploaded the video. Might be sold by now.

http://apps.aspentimes.com/utils/c2/app/v2/index.php?do=adDetail&adId=11674923&internetCode=3&viewState=list&sort=posted|asc&fatt=false#.VlSKVnarTIU

An old glass single sidecut Donek Axxess might be close too...or a Coiler all mountain of similar specs.

I still have all the info and specs that Purecarve sent with the videos. Boris is pretty close:

one length available...175

waist...20.9

nose...26.4

tail...25.8

effective edge...153

sidecut radius...11.2

List price $499 in 1997

These boards seem to be optimized for Aspen (soft, packed powder) conditions. 

Does anyone know who built the boards for Purecarve?

I also love this purecarve re-edit: :biggthump  :1luvu:

https://vimeo.com/10029545

Edited by bigwavedave

I have yet to confirm this, but years ago, in a conversation with some old school Aspen legends in Aspen.  The topic came up and I was told that the Purecarve was templated directly from a Rossignol .    I need to get both boards together to confirm they are mirrors.   Keep in mind this is NOT unique,  templating previous boards is the greatest for of Board Flattery.   When Mike Tinkler and I were working on a particular board that I liked he pointed out that the collection was very practical and serves as a template vault of sorts.   Mike has often taken specific boards out of the quiver to inspect.   This has been a small but important part of new builds.   My second Tinkler customs was templated from the Identity "Carbon Race" 185cm.   It has a very different feel yet a familiar ride track due to the Catenary Progressive sidecut , which we continue to use on the most recent builds.   

• Like 1

the thing about Pure Carve, was and is the people riding the equipment, Cliff, Joey, Larry, Wayne, Joe, Jeff, Larry and the rest all have just Wonderful style and flow to their riding no matter what sticks, I believe this comes from Surfings integration, even the first Rossis, they just flowed down the hill...I have seen a lot of riders here through the years on all kinds of equipment...I would still prefer watching the Milkman to anyone else, just because he is so relaxed and powerful at the same time...most of the equipment now is so advanced and that is super to see, though it does not make one good at carving...just a tad easier for someone who is already good at it ...the sticker truck made "Ride the Edge" as well  :ph34r:

Edited by softbootsailer

Bryan- I thought it was taken off the old Rossi's (173 VAS)? Same shape and better materials right around the time the fatter Rossi's stopped being made.

I didn't think the Alps came quite so long or quite so wide as the Purecarves.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

Bryan- I thought it was taken off the old Rossi's (173 VAS)? Same shape and better materials right around the time the fatter Rossi's stopped being made.

I didn't think the Alps came quite so long or quite so wide as the Purecarves.

I think you are right.  Thank you for the correction Eric!! I will alter my previous comment.   Thank you!

• Like 1

the thing about Pure Carve, was and is the people riding the equipment, Cliff, Joey, Larry, Jeff and the rest all have just Wonderful style and flow to their riding no matter what sticks, even the first Rossis, they just flowed down the hill..

I've been reading up on some of cant/lift threads and the evils of the "rear knee tuck-in." Watching some of these older carving videos, I think you could make the argument that the tucked rear knee, while maybe not ideal, does add quite a bit of grace to the style.

• Like 1

...I think you could make the argument that the tucked rear knee, while maybe not ideal, does add quite a bit of grace to the style.

That was very much (from what my possibly unreliable memory tells me) the Craig style, and it went out of fashion very quickly in the early 1990s. I have some mates who still ride it. My point is that most of the people riding that way weren't hard booters or on narrow boards: whatever it was, it wasn't specific to race boards.

I never did it, as most people back then I was self taught and it just didn't seem to fit what I felt I needed to do. I was recently accused of riding that way by a soft booter who didn't consider his viewing angle or that I may be somewhat offended.

I agree there's no "right" or "wrong", such concepts are themselves what's wrong.

About the time that Rossignol decided to pull out of alpine board-making is when I went to the dark side. It seems that I remember that there was a preference for PureCarve Mavericks, Joey Cabell models, and Rossignol WCR 184 (or 183's) for these Aspen riders. And if memory serves me, it was Wagner Custom that made the boards for PureCarve. The sidecut was 11.2cm if I recall correctly (again). My Maverick has it's ABS top-sheet delaminating from the tip area. It reveals a fibreglass cover for the v-lam core. One of the most important things I first noticed about the Maverick was it's torsional stiffness when compared to freestyle boards I had be trying to hardboot on (think 1998). After that, I referred to any board that couldn't hold an edge with hard-boots as a 'noodle board'. To this day, the Maverick is a magical ride because of the combination of sidecut, length, width, and stable flex pattern. 

I can't say that it would work in the east but, in western conditions it rocks. 

It would be cool to know the history of the PureCarve lineup one day. 

Mark

• Like 3

Those Rossi WCR's are fun freecarve decks. I'd put them on the softer flexing side of the era, at least the 183's (compared to typical race stock in those lengths). I'd love to pick up a 190 in good shape for giggles.

I'd say that the 171 VAS was definitely an older style of board compared to the later Rossi Accelerator, VAS Race and wood cored WCR's that came in the following decade. The PureCarves took basic template ques, but changed just about everything in the construction.

I don't know about a PC killer, but many of the current wide freecarve boards are at least as capable (if not more so). Different though.

Edited by Mr.E

The conditions and the riders made those boards look much better than they actually were. I had one of those boards and they were nothing special just a glass carving deck, no magic there. Surely not worth reviving the design. If I remember the stance widths were pretty narrow 

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 1

post-2809-0-33760100-1448853436_thumb.jp

From a 1996 Rossi brochure. The 171 Throttle was the longest in the line-up. Waist 19cm . SCR 13m. Foam core. Suggested rider wt 130-200lbs,  soft for today's "bigger" riders. The Accelerator had 21cm waist, but a somewhat tight 10m scr on the longest, a 165cm. They were also pretty soft, suggested ride wt 110-170lbs. Rode both these boards when they were new and they stayed in the closet after getting a Donek FC1.

Not surprised PureCarve designed and built a board suited for the soft powdery Aspen groom. Not so good for midwest  icy firm groom,  prefer a metal board for that. Although, I have found that I prefer an old style glass board on the softer snow. Right now that is a 180 Incline with a 23.5cm waist and a 11.5 scr.

Oh, and the guy riding that Throttle was featured in the snowboarding segments of the upcoming film "Search for Freedom".

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

The conditions and the riders made those boards look much better than they actually were. I had one of those boards and they were nothing special just a glass carving deck, no magic there. Surely not worth reviving the design. If I remember the stance widths were pretty narrow

I pretty much agree with the above. Ok board, especially for something that old .

Mav in action as a monoski (oh horror!)

post-1678-141842343762.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

About the time that Rossignol decided to pull out of alpine board-making is when I went to the dark side. It seems that I remember that there was a preference for PureCarve Mavericks, Joey Cabell models, and Rossignol WCR 184 (or 183's) for these Aspen riders. And if memory serves me, it was Wagner Custom that made the boards for PureCarve. The sidecut was 11.2cm if I recall correctly (again). My Maverick has it's ABS top-sheet delaminating from the tip area. It reveals a fibreglass cover for the v-lam core. One of the most important things I first noticed about the Maverick was it's torsional stiffness when compared to freestyle boards I had be trying to hardboot on (think 1998). After that, I referred to any board that couldn't hold an edge with hard-boots as a 'noodle board'. To this day, the Maverick is a magical ride because of the combination of sidecut, length, width, and stable flex pattern. 

I can't say that it would work in the east but, in western conditions it rocks. 

It would be cool to know the history of the PureCarve lineup one day. 

Mark

Mark, thanks for the lead.  I wonder if it is Pete Wagner?  Could be Wagner Custom   The "Why" article only refers to skis and starts his history with construction in 2000 .     Although there is know doubt the materials and methods have progressed since the time of this boards creation it does not take away from the possibility that the "Magic Mix" works well for a particular rider/s.   I often suggest that the more people try different boards the more likely they will find that board that suits them best.   This one will soon be added to the Alpine section of the Oldsnowboards collection.   I am still probably a bit heavy for it but as the lines between my decreasing weight and decreasing strength will at some point cross. I look forward to enjoying riding it knowing it's history and the lines it has drawn in the Aspen / Summit area with some of the Legends of Alpine.   Bryan

Those Rossi WCR's are fun freecarve decks. I'd put them on the softer flexing side of the era, at least the 183's (compared to typical race stock in those lengths). I'd love to pick up a 190 in good shape for giggles.

I'd say that the 171 VAS was definitely an older style of board compared to the later Rossi Accelerator, VAS Race and wood cored WCR's that came in the following decade. The PureCarves took basic template ques, but changed just about everything in the construction.

I don't know about a PC killer, but many of the current wide freecarve boards are at least as capable (if not more so). Different though.

Eric,  if you get back to the Hood,  I would be happy to set you up for a reunion ride on the WCR 190.  I believe I only have the one so I am not ready to turn it loose from the quiver. 

• Like 1

howdy all

there is a great article in the carving magazine issue 2 and talks about the history and the people and the board.

that got me thinking about the board and with todays new materials maybe it could be updated with the latest and

greatest materials and have the same flex and feel. i'm sure there are better boards, but just want an updated classic.

Eric,  if you get back to the Hood,  I would be happy to set you up for a reunion ride on the WCR 190.  I believe I only have the one so I am not ready to turn it loose from the quiver. 

or, you know, one of the shorter ones ;)

I found them to be fairly forgiving and poppy boards at a time that things were headed in the stiffer= better direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, I took the Mav out, yesterday! Only 2 runs though, as I had lessons to teach and needed a wider board for that.

Anyways, the slope was hard, but not super hard packed. Mav handled just fine, yet not quite as effortless as the modern boards - nose felt as it would chatter with a less precise loading.