Note to New Members ×

Bumming in the PNW...

SWriverstone

Hi All...

So I relocated from the east coast (West Virginia) to Eugene, Oregon this past spring. I was, of course, excited that I'd be within a reasonable drive to Mt. Bachelor and a few other resorts.

But wouldn't you know as soon as I move to Oregon, it's the worst winter on record (2014-15)...and all the forecasts are pointing to this winter being just as bad (or worse). Last winter the small resorts of Willamette Pass and Hoodoo basically never opened all winter from lack of snow. They're probably going to be driven out of existence this winter.

I'm bumming. I think my only possibilities this winter are flying from Portland to either Salt Lake City or Reno (Tahoe). 

I can't believe I move to the effing west—for the first time in my life—and my chances of getting back into carving in a good way are demolished. 

Where's the booze. :-(

Scott

• Like 1

I wouldn't write it off yet either. Nobody saw the last two winters in the east coming. All it will take is for things to be a little colder than they predict, and all that precip could make for a bumper season.

Cross your fingers, because there are a lot of western resorts that really need a good year. The last two have been awful.

Hmm? All the news programming in the Portland area is touting that the October Weather Brains are all forecasting between 80-90% of normal.  That is a very good season if it occurs. 

Join the PNW Ride board threads and  think HAPPY THOUGHTS!! 

Bryan 

Welcome to the PNW!!

But wouldn't you know as soon as I move to Oregon, it's the worst winter on record (2014-15)...and all the forecasts are pointing to this winter being just as bad (or worse). Last winter the small resorts of Willamette Pass and Hoodoo basically never opened all winter from lack of snow. They're probably going to be driven out of existence this winter.

So you moved here in the Spring? So you did NOT get skunked like the locals right?  All the forecasts?  Nope!!!  You must still be reading the Virginia forecasters reports?  PS , that is a hint it is time to change your local on the forum??  ENJOY!! :) 

Yeah, last season was not great, but Bachelor had the best cover in the West. As far as this season, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for...not the best, but at least something acceptable. Don't want to jinx things, but I'm sure if you're willing to travel within Oregon that you'll get some days on snow. 

And by the way, everyone on this thread should come to NICE at Schweitzer at the end of January. :) 

• Like 1

Glad to hear the Portland media is saying it'll be a decent winter! I'll try to stay optimistic. Especially since the wife (who skis) and I just spent close to a $1K on new/replacement gear (including a new set of skis for her). 

And thx for the reminder to update my profile—done! :-)

Scott

Edited by SWriverstone
  • Like 1

Even during a crappy season, Bachelor tends to be quite carvable.  It is common in El Nino years like this one, for Bachelor to have a very good December and then taper off, and that can often build enough of a base to keep the groomers in reasonable shape through the season.  

Hoodoo has been closed more than it's been open for several years.   Willamette Pass, which I've never been to, is only open 4 days a week in the best of seasons IIRC.   I recommend getting a Bachelor pass if you can tolerate the drive, ~3 hrs during winter.   Get good snow tires even if you have AWD, they don't plow the roads quite as aggressively in OR as they do back east.