Note to New Members ×

Question about turn paths...

SWriverstone

Quick question. Of the two turn paths shown below, how many of you carve path A versus B? I'm just wondering if the goal is to link turns with no straightline, on-edge travel between them? Or just to be in a constant state of turning?

I've typically found myself doing more B than A, mainly because crowds on the slope prevent me from doing A all the time (though sometimes I can manage A for a short time). I realize too that it's often a combination of the two---which is why I'm wondering what the desired goal is?

Just curious---part of my ongoing education! :)

Scott

turn_paths.gif

Originally posted by SWriverstone

I'm wondering what the desired goal is?

turn_paths.gif

I think the'desired goal' is likely to change with each person, snow condition, ability level, equipment, etc.

For a racer, the 'desired goal' is to navigate the course as fast as possible. My goal is to have as much fun as possible, and to enjoy the sensations of riding. I make turns of both shapes as the situation--or my mood--warrants.

IMO, to maximize fun, a rider would be well advised to be able to make both long and short carved turns (and skidded turns, traverses, hop-turns, extension, retraction, etc.). Like a painter with a variety of colors on the palette, it allows you more options for self expression.

And fun.

Mi dos centavos.

Yeah, I realize of course that nobody does only one or the other. I was just curious. I sometimes find myself trying to travel a relatively straight line across the slope while remaining on edge as much as I can...or trying to do giant circles that span the entire width of the slope (as opposed to a tighter, slalom-style course down the hill).

This might be because I'm trying to maximize the length (in time) of every run, since our mid-Atlantic runs are so short and the lift rides so l-o-n-g. :)

But---I don't want to impede my carving progress by not turning enough!

Scott

I like really long drawn out turns, too, as long as theyre truly carved. kinda takes a more "static" approach as well...not too much lean, not too much pressure to the middle of the board. can be fun.

I try to go back up hill ever so slightly sometimes but it doesnt work too well on big boards Ive found

Good diagram - I note that the turn radius is the same in A and B. The only difference is the addition of some straight traversing in B.

Generally I try and eliminate any "dead" time between carves, so I like A better than B. But on steeper slopes my path gets a bit more like B, partly because each turn is so intense I need a quiet moment to collect myself before doing it again.

It's a bit glib, but the goal is FUN (as long as you're not racing), so there is no one right way to do it. For me, experimenting with a whole bunch of different turn shapes and different paths down the hill has always been best, and your post has reminded me to not lose sight of that. When you're riding the same runs over and over again, it's easy to get stuck in a rut (no pun intended).

P.S. CarvCanada - your post is far more eloquent than mine.

from what the view from the chair lift tells me. It's funny but I always think I'm going further across the piste than what I really end up doing. I love riding up and seeing my trenches in the snow below me, especially when there's that little gap between turns telling me I had some transitional "airtime" :D

Well, I aim for those uphill finishing carve turns, all linked, so I think Fleaman has the best diagram.

Of course, there are some problems:

- girl looking in awe is clearly not on carving skis

- girl looking in awe is nice and thin, but a little flat chested

- what is up with her Dianna Ross hair?

Other than that, the diagram seems quite good.